Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine crane

Hey everyone,

So I've borrowed an engine hoist off the father in law (cable pulley type thing). Trouble is, that's all it is. There is no crane or anything to hang the pulley off. And I've checked and I cant use my garage lintel without taking the garage door off (obviously [emoji1787]).

I designed a scaffold pole double a-frame set up with a cross bar (imagine a child's swing set). Came to £99 including all scaff poles and joiners.... Delivery was £75 so f*** that.

Should I just buy a crane?

Rent a crane?

2 x 4 across the top of the bonnet to hang the pulley off? Paintwork damage?

This is for dropping my gearbox out.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Rent a crane
    Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Who needs that use this method [emoji1787] https://youtu.be/iBVmXukx_Gk

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

What does the gearbox weigh - 60-80KG?
        Any trees nearby?
        Wooden A 4x2 frame offside of the van then use the garage pillar on the otherside side. Wood & a little rope plus a joist hanger / fixing & bolts for garage wall? £30?

Comment

and once the ambulance crew have stopped laughing......

Comment

Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
            and once the ambulance crew have stopped laughing......
            Says the one who walks the ledge [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
              Says the one who walks the ledge [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s
              Used to Hans, wouldnt have the bottle now.

Comment

Buy a crane - it'll come in handy or you can sell it on, cheaper than renting.

I bought a second hand one with a mate - £35 each.

He hasn't got space, so I store it. It folds up against a wall.

edit - scratch that, they were about 140 new when I bought mine, didn't realise how much they have gone up.

Can you not put a scaff bar across a few joists - I have one in my garage and have pulled out engines and boxes complete using a cheap pulley setup

One of these that my parents bought me for christmas when I was a kid, used it for 15 years until I pensioned it off.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                  Buy a crane - it'll come in handy or you can sell it on, cheaper than renting.

I bought a second hand one with a mate - £35 each.

He hasn't got space, so I store it. It folds up against a wall.

edit - scratch that, they were about 140 new when I bought mine, didn't realise how much they have gone up.

Can you not put a scaff bar across a few joists - I have one in my garage and have pulled out engines and boxes complete using a cheap pulley setup

One of these that my parents bought me for christmas when I was a kid, used it for 15 years until I pensioned it off.
                  Yeah that's the exact thing I'm borrowing off the father in law. Will do the job as long as I've got something to hang it off.

But my garage is bare. No joists or anything. And I wouldn't want to hang a scaff bar off a mounting on my shitty breeze block garage walls.

Could potentially use the garage brick pillar Rob, and a wooden a frame the other side. No trees I'm afraid.

I'm leaning toward buying one. Looking at the costs of rental only 2 uses would make my money back.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

The only issue I have with my crane is that the jib gets in the way and the feet/legs get in the way - can either hit van wheels or axle stands and prevent you getting it positioned properly. When you are trying to joggle a gearbox into position, you need to get a jack under as well to lift a corner and you can't because the crane legs are in the way.

Comment

I used a couple of trolley jacks and some wood to get my box out and back in again. No broken fingers but it is fiddly.

If you really want to use the hoist could you core-drill a hole in each wall a pass a scaffold pole right across the space? Okay it means patching them in afterwards but could be a cheap option.

Comment

Originally posted by Laz View Post
                        I used a couple of trolley jacks and some wood to get my box out and back in again. No broken fingers but it is fiddly.

If you really want to use the hoist could you core-drill a hole in each wall a pass a scaffold pole right across the space? Okay it means patching them in afterwards but could be a cheap option.
                        I like a bit of dodgy diy[emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s

Comment

If its to do the clutch i'd get 2 good trolley jacks one to hold engine one to lower box on. I got a Draper engine crane in 2000. Was cheap then. Its paid for itself but hasn't been for tens years

Comment

Hi guys. Make a tripod from three scaffold pole. Job done
                            Quicker to get engine and box out together
                            Good luck guys

Comment

Engine crane

Take the bonnet off and use a couple of builders trestles with timber across them and your block and tackle hoist. Takes up little room whilst doing the job, highly adjustable and cheap as chips, especially if they’re second hand.

They can take a serious amount of weight (I fit steel lintels weighing more than your engine and box) with these and you can even get them with swivel legs so you can fold them flat as they can be a bitch to store otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                              Last edited by TommyP; 12 August 2019, 09:21 PM.
                              #vanlife

Comment

Working...
                              X