No announcement yet.

T4 with a T4 plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s noisy very occasionally in neutral but lovely in the gears?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

T4 with a T4 plate

Originally posted by tenburner View Post
      It’s noisy very occasionally in neutral but lovely in the gears?

One of mine is a bit like that. Does it stop if you dip the clutch whilst it’s making the noise at idle? Chances are it’s more clutch/flywheel related if so.

If it was bits of 5th somehow making noise I don’t think it would leave any other gears to use [emoji23]

#vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
        One of mine is a bit like that. Does it stop if you dip the clutch whilst it’s making the noise at idle? Chances are it’s more clutch/flywheel related if so.

If it was bits of 5th somehow making noise I don’t think it would leave any other gears to use [emoji23]

Aye that’s the one, gonna have the clutch done at the same time as sorting the box out.

Comment

Aye that’s the one, gonna have the clutch done at the same time as sorting the box out.

I think the rattle could be more related to the flywheel so that may be worth changing whilst you’re there if you are in any doubt.

#vanlife

Comment

She’s back on the road. New 5th at 0.68 and of course a good flush and some fresh oil. Will be flushing the box again and change the transmission oil once more after a few miles. Feels nice to be able to do more than 50 now!

Comment

Aaaaaand after about 10 miles an exhaust mount broke and started an incredible death rattle. Oh well got it welded up now.

Comment

The joys of t4 ownership!

Sent from the Midlands by pigeon

Comment

Quick and dirty job today - grind off as much rust as I can from the arches and hammerite the shit out of it. Not my proudest work and I will eventually be getting the worst offenders replaced but it smartens up the van a little bit.

I also did a few other spots around the van that needed it. Hopefully get me through the winter!

Shropshireeeeeee

Comment

That’ll do the trick. When I did that it lasted a couple of years [emoji106]

Sent from The Alpine Express using Just T4s

Comment

It bloody wont - hammershite and half arsed prep - give it 12 months at best.

Still, tidied the crusty mess and it will get you through winter.

Comment

And I was just about to say...

‘Ffs whatever you do don’t let Reg see this...’

Too late.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

I bit my tongue , but I knew Reg would say it , all your doing is buying yourself time .

The arch has gone too far , the only way to sort it out once and for all is to cut it out and weld in a new section , do it tidy , a little skim of filler after welding in a new section and the repair will be unnoticeable and that is what you want .

Comment

Well, mine did. Ok, I went a bit further than just painting over the rust. I wire brushed the bad bits and the gave a couple of coats of red oxide primer by brush and then a coat of white metal primer and then a couple coats of hammerite, all by brush as it goes on thicker.

It’ll be fine. Give it another lick when you get chance and keep on top of it. It’ll keep your van looking tidy over the winter. Once they go though, and looks like yours is well on the way, they go. The only way to get rid is to cut out and replace. That’s what I had done. There’s a few places around the country that sell body cuts for back arches. Most bits are available from VW Heritage too. Quick tip, start buying the bits now. Everyone seems to start buying in the new year.

Sent from The Alpine Express using Just T4s

Comment

This was the plan

Shropshireeeeeee

Comment

This was the plan
                                All good then.

When you get round to the arch repair proper - would you take a picture of the arch, just to see how the repair lasted.

You will need new metal in there - or just cover it all up with a set of those smart looking chrome arch covers.

Comment

Working...
                                X