Has anyone fitted a solar panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone fitted a solar panel?

So my van currently has two leisure batteries fitted but can only be charged by the charger that the previous own eft behind in the van or via an electric hook-up.. The two options Im currently weighing up are either a split charger or a solar panel.. The thing putting me off fitting a panel is the thought of drilling holes in the roof, but I have seen a video on youtube of someone fitting a flexible panel by bonding it and then just having one hole drilled through for the cables.. Does anyone have any experience or advice on these? Or should I just have a split charger fitted and stop fanning around?

TIA

Would suggest both split charge and solar, but at minimum split charge.

Comment

Split charger and if the leisure batteries are an identical type why not wire them both up as a single array?

Comment

I’ve got a split charger and I’ll add a solar panel/s when I eventually get round to doing a pop top

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
        #vanlife

Comment

I have split, solar being fitted in a couple of weeks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

I got two 95 agm wired to 190 amp. Runs the fridge and anything else. The downside with the split charger it's only charge properly on a long run. So i got two 100w folding solar panels which charge up to 10 amp, more than plenty for me. I don't have a hook up . Saves between 3 and 5 pound a day.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
              I got two 95 agm wired to 190 amp. Runs the fridge and anything else. The downside with the split charger it's only charge properly on a long run. So i got two 100w folding solar panels which charge up to 10 amp, more than plenty for me. I don't have a hook up . Saves between 3 and 5 pound a day.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s
              Thats great.. so will your panel be enough on its own generally? I might start with a split charger and then maybe go for a panel at a later date.. Any rough idea on price for one fitted?

Comment

Originally posted by dan_shard View Post
                So my van currently has two leisure batteries fitted but can only be charged by the charger that the previous own eft behind in the van or via an electric hook-up.. The two options Im currently weighing up are either a split charger or a solar panel.. The thing putting me off fitting a panel is the thought of drilling holes in the roof, but I have seen a video on youtube of someone fitting a flexible panel by bonding it and then just having one hole drilled through for the cables.. Does anyone have any experience or advice on these? Or should I just have a split charger fitted and stop fanning around?

TIA
                Hi mate I've fitted a solar panel to my roof and it works a treat, put solar panel into search bar on here and look up my post on it, it's a 150watt panel, and you don't need to drill the roof for the brackets, I have 2 , 110 amp hour battery's​ running in parrelel and they run everything with ease, I don't have a split charge relay or Huck up charger. The solar is enough, make sure you get a big wattage panel, my post shows pics of mine on the van hope this helps,

Come rain or shine I'm out in mine!!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by dan_shard View Post
                  Thats great.. so will your panel be enough on its own generally? I might start with a split charger and then maybe go for a panel at a later date.. Any rough idea on price for one fitted?
                  It's down to your needs and the weather.
                  And yes u can install the split charge first and ad solar panels after.
                  I fitted everything my self, so i can't tell you the installation costs.
                  1 × 95 amp agm battery £ 145.00
                  1× 100 w foldable solar panel £ 112.00
                  100amp split charge kit £ 65.00
                  Bits and bobs £ 20.00
                  20 amp solar charge controller £ 25.00
                  Its easy enough to install it yourself. If u need help more than happy to assist

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                  X