No announcement yet.

None Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and when I did the throttle spindle leak last year I never touched that nut. Wish i'd checked it now.

Comment

Looking at the photos I took when I did the throttle spindle I think this spring has come off as the shaft with the square on it don't feel spring loaded. Rad out and pump top off tomorrow. Glad this didn't happen at Borth, would have been better at the workshop but i'll take outside the house all day long. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0375.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	267851

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0373.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	267852 Like this I suspect.

Comment

Glad you’ve the skillz mate , I’d be still scratching my noggin!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Those are last years photos, So glad I took loads. Even mentioned to Molly about a rescue bid for a 1.8t lump in a GTI at our local breakers. but hoping i'm going in the right direction now.

Comment

Theres been plenty of head scratching mate don't you worry. Just a shame I've no Westons in the house.

Comment

Unlikely the spring has detached, you'll not be able to detect it's presence.

Surprised you had any idle with the lever off the pump.

Let me know your email - I'll send the guide on setting up idle - its got useful pics that show how the idle mechanism works and a man of your calibre will sort it from there.

And it should start this weather with no glow plugs, and with glow plugs you should never need the 'choke' - your timing could need advancing a touch.

Comment

Cheers, haven't actually pulled the cold start choke. I assume as the nut had come off the lever on the pump top that when the shaft moved it allowed air in which accounts for my none start. The little shaft had dropped back in the pump and I had to use a magnet to get it back out.Was a right pain getting the lever on the square and then the nut on without it dropping back and jamming as the lever miss aligned with the shaft. I'll have to dig out my brothers email address as for some reason when kindly you sent me the pump guide last year I couldn't access it on my old steam driven lap top. It will rev up but not idle at all.
                  Last edited by S49; 29 July 2019, 11:25 PM.

Comment

If you turned the shaft to the on position - it would hold itself out as it operates a cam inside.

You did well getting that nut back on.

You could get the idle back - ish if you just turn up the throttle stop a touch to hold the lever open a touch more.

Comment

Was wondering that but it seems a good 3 or 4 mill from the stop with Mol keeping it running with the throttle pedal.

Comment

Nice one Si, well spotted!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                          Was wondering that but it seems a good 3 or 4 mill from the stop with Mol keeping it running with the throttle pedal.
                          then wind it 3 - 4 mm! You can always set it back.

the rod on the back of pump moves down to increase the idle speed - see the lever near the top of the pump that the rod operates - that tensions the small spring inside the pump and controls 'residual fuel' which is also idle.

Note how the rod moves the lever and then move the lever yourself to regain idle - you may have to move the limit stops on either end?

Or you could just turn the rod clockwise to bring the idle up.

Or you could turn the fuel up - that would be much better.

I think a fifth gear mod and short shift mod would probably fix all your vans problems.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                            I think a fifth gear mod and short shift mod would probably fix all your vans problems.
                            FFS Cheeseman, just spat my coffee out !

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                              FFS Cheeseman, just spat my coffee out !
                              Yes that got a smile on my face..

Comment

Started at 6 and got the Beamer finished and retested. They spoke of rain so popped home to put it on the drive so I can pop the gazebo up over the front. Mind the Housing Association don't like people working on motors in the street, so on the drive now and i'm not a tenant so feck them my shacks my own. While getting it on the yard its gone from starting but not idling to red lining as soon as it fires up so I cut the wire to the stop valve and backing it in in reverse on the starter. Something must have moved in the pump so it rad off and get the top off the pump this evening.

Comment

Working...
                                X