No announcement yet.

Bubblegum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hhhhhhmmmmm yeah wiring , that was one of my main concerns when buying my van was that if I bought one with a conversion already done who had done the work and too what standard ?

I looked at fitting a leisure battery under my drivers seat , but I’d have either had to get a slim line leisure battery or raise the drivers seat to accommodate a regular size leisure battery plus it needs venting .

You can fit an extra battery tray under the bonnet of the 2.5tdi like I did , it works well , check out my build thread .

Comment

Thanks fruit bat, I have looked through your thread, I’ll have to have another closer look at the battery. I don’t mind getting a slimline if it’s not too expensive otherwise, I’ll have to do some searching first

Comment

Stripped the inside to see what was going on with wiring and insulation. Became quite a chase and I’m still a little unsure what’s going on in there. I’m hoping to carpet some of the interior metal and boards over the next couple of weeks and maybe install a leisure battery and all that goes with that, slowly but surely finding out what I need.

Also had a try of this awning today and ended up buying it

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Got the little man involved and got some new altro flooring down today and tested fitted a battery for under the drivers seat, seems to fit ok, getting some brackets made up now to hold it in place.

Hopefully run some wiring between batteries tomorrow and make a little box to hold fuse board etc behind drivers seat weather permitting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7371.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	268200

Name:	IMG_7372.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	268201

Name:	IMG_7373.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	268202

Name:	IMG_7374.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	268203

Comment

Got some new altro flooring down, pre wires split charge relay and boxed it ready. Not connected to main batt yet though. Done some carpeting, and put some new headlining up earlier. Vans still in bits with nothing fully complete. Getting there bit by bit though.

Comment

Looking good morgs, I like the Galaxy roof lining, looks cool, did you make the rear cover for the leisure battery? Always good to get the little ones involved, my boy helped me do all the insulation plus other bits and bobs, he's mad for doing jobs on the van, especially undoing or screwing up things

Comment

Bubblegum

Thanks mate. The roof lining is just a vinyl wrap on pre cut boards off eBay.
                The box was made yes, my brother made that for me and I just carpeted it.

My little un has already planned a day of working on the van this Saturday so I’m
                Hoping to get most of it done then. And then to connect the batteries up and see what works and doesn’t

Comment

Where are your seat covers from mate?
                  Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                  I own a lwb and have never jelled with it , I prefer the side profile of a swb.

Check out the shed

https://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.php?19834-Shed-Seven
                  Sent from my E6633 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by 888_special View Post
                    Where are your seat covers from mate?

Sent from my E6633 using Just T4s

http://www.autoleathers.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
                      Got some new altro flooring down, pre wires split charge relay and boxed it ready. Not connected to main batt yet though. Done some carpeting, and put some new headlining up earlier. Vans still in bits with nothing fully complete. Getting there bit by bit though.

Great work , just so you know, and for other members too, leisure batteries do need to be vented, because when their been charged they can let off gasses, which can be harmful, and also explosive if allowed to build up in a area where gases can't escape, on the battery their are little holes on each side at the top of the battery, you can get a special pipe that fits into the holes to then be able to vent the gases out through the floor, I bunged up one side of the battery gas outlet and used one pipe on the other to vent the gases through my floor,

Come rain or shine I'm out in mine!!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Just T4s

Comment

I have a look

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by damien devil View Post
                          Great work , just so you know, and for other members too, leisure batteries do need to be vented, because when their been charged they can let off gasses, which can be harmful, and also explosive if allowed to build up in a area where gases can't escape, on the battery their are little holes on each side at the top of the battery, you can get a special pipe that fits into the holes to then be able to vent the gases out through the floor, I bunged up one side of the battery gas outlet and used one pipe on the other to vent the gases through my floor,

Thanks for the info. I have wondered about venting the battery and if it’s really needed. I havnt seen the holes you mention on my battery. I thought I could make a hole in the floor and pipe out of there but it would do absolutely nothing as soon as I open the drivers or rear sliding door that would be far more ventilation. The battery is not in a sealed box or anything, it’s just held in place under the seat by a bracket.

Comment

Hi morgs I'm not an expert on this issue , it's just what ,I got told of a guy I know who services caravans and campervans, your best off asking Google, theirs all sorts on their about venting batteries, and theirs all sorts of different batteries, ( and opinions on venting) my leisure batteries are brand new , so maybe they only just started doing the hole vent thing, maybe worth doing some homework on it, sure someone on here will know the answer ,

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
                            Thanks for the info. I have wondered about venting the battery and if it’s really needed. I havnt seen the holes you mention on my battery. I thought I could make a hole in the floor and pipe out of there but it would do absolutely nothing as soon as I open the drivers or rear sliding door that would be far more ventilation. The battery is not in a sealed box or anything, it’s just held in place under the seat by a bracket.

Comment

The battery needs to be vented if it’s being kept in the van , post a pic up of your battery .

Comment

Thanks both. This is my battery

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camper-Va...=2002718286008

I can’t see what drilling a hole with a pipe from under my seat would do differently to just driving with a window down or opening the door once a day. Obviously I want to do it right and don’t want to sound like I’m not listening to advice, it just seems a rather pointless thing to do as, as I’ve said so much more gasses would escape by opening a door.

Comment

Working...
                                X