No announcement yet.

1995 2.4D... In at the deep end!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like it may have had an alarm connected to the ignition wiring at some point. First thing I do remove retro fit alarms however well know a brand they are. It used to take me 3 days to fit them at the Volvo agent in a way they would last as long as the car. Our sales department didn't like the time we took as used a firm from the West Midlands who did it in a morning, dread to think how many breakdowns they had once they were 5 or 6 years old.

Comment

Reg will be specially pleased with your work today.

Comment

They say one man's trash is another man treasure, if you'd be willing to post the centre console I'd be more then happy to have it? Would suit my orange van nicely

Comment

Great work , that’s some dodgy wiring !

Comment

Originally posted by Big al View Post
            They say one man's trash is another man treasure, if you'd be willing to post the centre console I'd be more then happy to have it? Would suit my orange van nicely
            Send me a PM with your address and I'll throw it in a box next week. Won't be fast postage though!
            Sent from underneath my T4

Comment

Originally posted by Tango91 View Post
              Send me a PM with your address and I'll throw it in a box next week. Won't be fast postage though!
              Thanks, pm sent

Comment

Quick question for those in the know: are the older T4s even supposed to have door speakers? There's no accordion rubber bit for the cables between the door and the A pillar?

Thanks

Comment

Quick question for those in the know: are the older T4s even supposed to have door speakers? There's no accordion rubber bit for the cables between the door and the A pillar?

Thanks
                  No they don’t.

You need the door bellows that goes between the door and the pillar. These usually came only in the caravelle version.

If you need some, I have some OEM ones, that I was going to fit as I have a central locking cabling that I was also going to fit.

Pm me if your interested tango. Just looking to get back what they owe me.

Comment

Thanks for the offer! but I think I'll fit some not-completely-ruined door cards and find somewhere a little less mobile for the speakers to live. perhaps under the seats or from the roof just behind the cab...

Comment

No probs.

All good.

Comment

Nice pics, thank you for sharing.
                        Loving the write up too.... keep it coming.
                        Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Thanks

I’ve never seen factory speakers in a T4 door , I thought they were all fitted in the dash , you can buy upgraded speakers that fit in the dash , they make an improvement over the originals .

I’ve also fitted two 4 inch speakers to the front of the passenger double seat by making a panel to screw to the seat base , I’m also going to fit a sub under the drivers seat when funds allow .

Comment

The velle had door speakers in the front boxing if the pockets.
                            That is a grand amount of butchery! The door area is amazing!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Before we begin, here's that floormat I forgot to photograph yesterday, demonstrated here by Dog.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190707_114804732.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	267664

If anyone wants it give me a shout.

So today after work, Sally and I set about stripping the back of the van out, mostly to have a look at the state of the floor and inner arches but also because all the dark carpeting was a bit boring. We're glad we did, because there were a few surprises hiding underneath that I'm sure you'll find amusing. I'm starting to think this van was originally converted by Bodgett & Scarper Van Conversions, Ltd....

I forgot to take a 'before' pic but here's the remains of the crap kitchen unit we took out first:

Name:	IMG_20190707_123646502.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	267665

And the back of the van without it:

Name:	IMG_20190707_123640871.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	267666

The keen eyed among you will of course immediately notice the thermal wrap carefully applied to the wheelarch:

Name:	IMG_20190707_123753319_HDR.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	267667

Absolutely sterling, this here is the quality of work that we all strive for, i'm sure.

The thermal wrap didn't end there, no. The other wheelarch also had a bit taped on as well. And that was it.
                              The sides had been insulated magnificently. Peeling away the ply lining (which was held in with a completely random assortment of wood screws and silicone sealant) revealed this:

Name:	IMG_20190707_125335818.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	267668

[SAD TROMBONE]

Whichever numpty put this 2" EPS in decided to stick it to the panels using an adhesive with a solvent in it, evo-stik or something. Needless to say that the polystyrene did not take well to this. Here's Sally staring in disbelief:

Name:	IMG_20190707_125948188.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	267669

Name:	IMG_20190707_140357759_HDR.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	267670

[SAD TROMBONE]

There was also a teriffic variety of adhesives and sealants on the metal panelling from silicone to something like Sikaflex EBT, It's going to take Sally HOURS to scrape all of it off.
                              One of the 10 previous owners was obviously quite the sealant connoisseur.

I left Sally to the fun task of scraping all the gunk off the panels and started on the floor. Pulling up the ply revealed the floor was in pretty good nick apart from one rust hole in the middle and an inch or so along the front of either rear wheelarch:

Name:	IMG_20190707_142944915.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	267671

Name:	IMG_20190707_153644101.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	267672

I'll get new metal in there and zinc primer it all before the ply goes back in, for course.

Am I right in thinking that the two large welded bits next to the tailgate are something to do with the towbar? Everything around there seemed sound and there didn't seem to be anything amiss from underneath either. Answers on a postcard, please.

I wire-brushed all the red paint and silicone sealant out of the factory bolt holes in the floor as well, I'll also weld these up before we're done.

Overall I was pretty pleased with the state of the floor, i was sort of expecting much worse. I had a crawl underneath and the underside of the floor actually looks really really good.

Obviously this was going far too well so while i was under there my eye was drawn to the N/S rear suspension:

Name:	IMG_20190707_151720846.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	267673

Time to get my debit card out again I suppose...

Sally was still scraping sealant off at this point so I turned my attention to the wiring in the back. Here's today's haul of excess wire:

Name:	IMG_20190707_162715821.jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	267674

I put the leisure battery and split charger in for the previous owners a few years ago while it was still on the road. Before this it must have originally have had the 12v electrics in the back wired into the main electrical system. At some point this had been disconnected and all bundled up in the O/S rear light cavity:

Name:	IMG_20190707_140430568.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	267675

After yesterday's fiasco this immediately made my teeth itch...

that bundle of wires runs the full length of the back and then up and over the driver door then down into the fusebox, entirely wrapped in 'ground' colour electrical tape:

Name:	IMG_20190707_153322903.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	267676

Name:	IMG_20190707_153806561.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	267677

all but one had been taped back to itself, but the remaining cable was attached into the back of a plug with a scotchlock:

Name:	IMG_20190707_154433540.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	267678

How this thing didn't catch fire at some point is a complete mystery to me...

I tore all that out, along with some other random wires that disappeared into the back and went nowhere. I have no idea what this switch was for:

Name:	IMG_20190707_140423224_HDR.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	267679

I also pulled out some LED tape that we don't have the remote control for and some cheap nasty LED bukhead light.

Does anyone recognise what these wires from behind the N/S headlight are for? They were both terminated in spade connectors and wrapped in electrical tape so I cut them back and shrink wrapped them for now:

Name:	IMG_20190707_162001052_HDR.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	267680

(Yellow/Black and Brown/Black)

We decided to call it an evening after that. Next I think we'll pull the headlining and see what crimes are hidden underneath.

I'd like to leave you with this nice juxtaposition:

Name:	IMG_20190707_164759848.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	267681

An old rusty skip, and a metal recycling container!

Comment

So... anyone got any standard coil springs for sale? Asking for a friend...

Comment

Working...
                                X