No announcement yet.

1995 2.4D... In at the deep end!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm either at home in Holsworthy, Devon, or at work in Widemouth Bay, Cornwall
    Sent from underneath my T4

Comment

Hello tango, looking forward to seeing the resurrection of your van, always nice to see another one saved, make sure you you start a build thread to track your progress and welcome to the empty pockets club lol

Comment

Welcome Tango , I really like the colour scheme , different and I’ve not seen a van like it before , is it a wrap ?

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
          The big Cheese recommended this top product ...

Bilt Hamber Electrox, Unique Zinc-Rich Steel Coating Protection Aerosol 400ml

...in a thread titled "T4 Conversion" and others, where a few of the forums paint elites offer some simple tips, gems of wisdom and product recommendations.
          I would, I'd also recommend epoxy mastic as it is fantastic

Bilt Hamber gets the nod for pure convenience of a rattle can - epoxy mastic takes a bit more planning as you have to mix up and use what you've mixed. But it's very good stuff.

Oh and welcome bud - good to see another member from the one and only true 'shire' not that discount shire that S49 keeps harping on about.

As we say "uz be plaized to zee ee"
          Last edited by regcheeseman; 4 July 2019, 10:46 PM.

Comment

It's actually pretty thick paint over the VW white as far as I can tell. Unfortunately the clear lacquer is badly peeling in places and with the amount of bodywork I'm going to have to do I can see a wrap or a colour change happening... So it won't look like the Brittany Ferries flagship any more

Comment

Hope this turns into another mega build thread.......................

Comment

Good morning and welcome, looks like a other T4 will be saved , well done

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s

Comment

Courtesy of a new battery, a jerrycan full of diesel and a great deal of electrical tape, IT'S ALIVE!

Those of you who have nothing better to do with your lives, please enjoy this modest 'cold start' video:

(The fun starts at 24s, i couldn't remember which pocket i had the keys in...)

Comment

Well done

Comment

Thanks

Really chuffed with how well she started, I was sort of expecting a slog considering how long it'd sat. To my eye I couldn't see any blue smoke in the video so that's nice.

Had to break the clutch loose by starting the engine in 4th gear with the clutch in and the brakes on but once it went boing we were away!

Just got to get the sticky throttle cable sorted out and I'll be able to batter about in it at work properly and upset the tourists

Am I right in thinking that there's no return spring on the pedal and the only spring in the throttle cable assembly is the clockspring on the fuel injector arm?

I've fed a load of light gear oil down the cable with the help of a Ziploc bag and some zip ties, and it's slightly better but still isn't as free moving as it needs to be.

Any suggestions before I go down the new cable route? It looks in decent shape

Thanks!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s

Comment

New cable time - they are notorious for binding up.

Don't worry that sounds like a perfectly good 2.4, they all sound like a cement mixer full of bricks.
                        Last edited by regcheeseman; 6 July 2019, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                          New cable time - they are notorious for binding up.

Don't worry that sounds like a perfectly good 2.4, they all sound like a cement mixer full of bricks.
                          Here he goes again...gotta love him though.

He’s only jealous tango. I’ve got a 2.4 too...definitely the best engine.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                            Ooooohhhhh, that sweet, SWEET sound of never worrying about little sensors killing your adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                            #vanlife

Comment

Great stuff.A video is even better than pics.U’ll fit in well here..

Comment

Evening all,

WARNING: this post contains images that auto electricians and people who appreciate quality millinery may find disturbing.

I had the afternoon off work today so I decided to get stuck into the most pressing concern with the crusty old T4: the radio lights up but doesn't make noise!

I'm sure I'd mentioned that Stevie Wonder had been called in to do some electrical work on a friday afternoon, so I set about tidying up the interior electrics before the damn thing went up in flames. Glad I did as the 25 years of bodges turned out to be shocking. Pun totally intended.

Here's the loom where the connector goes into the bottom of the ignition barrel:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bob3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	267656

And here's what it looked like underneath all that sticky shit:

Name:	IMG_20190706_143202226.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	267648

At some point someone's decided to run a switched live from the iginition switch to the back of the radio, fair enough.

Why they decided to cut 2" out of one of the main power wires (red/black) then replace it with some much smaller wire (purple), and cut then join the brown/red wire, along with completely unnecessary crimp joints, screw terminals etc. was unclear. Let's take a slightly closer look:

Name:	IMG_20190706_143257555.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	267651

No, this would not do.

I cut out all the shitty connectors and re-did the lot, this time using such frivolities as flux, heat shrink and proper gauge wire...

Name:	IMG_20190706_170352828.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	267653

Not perfect but much better. And hopefully less likely to burst into flames.

You might also note where the previous tenants of the dashboard have developed a taste for the fancy-pants, unnecessarily large, speaker wire that's been run to the door speakers:

Name:	IMG_20190706_143216807.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	267654

They've also shit on the fusebox but I decided this was not a fire risk

Name:	IMG_20190706_143223971.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	267657

In fact, pulling all of this out was a good laugh: the cables may have been huge, but of course they went into much smaller gauge wires at the head unit and then into absolutely miniscule bell wire stuff at the speaker terminals, all joined with a selection of crimps, twisting and tape:

Name:	IMG_20190706_165838236.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	267655

The wiring at the headunit left a whole lot to be desired as well, but you were probably expecting that by now. Whoever did this install REALLY liked crimp connections and tape:

Name:	IMG_20190706_161513618.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	267658

So i tidied that up and ran new, double insulated, sensibly sized speaker wire from the back of the headunit to both door speakers and now we have music!

The door speakers are quite big chavvy orange things and whoever put them in evidently had some unresolved anger issues; judging from the state of the door card and the metal underneath I think they may have been installed using only a hammer.

Name:	IMG_20190706_163648164.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	267659

That's a battle for another day though.

I also tore out the remnants of the shitty aftermarket alarm/immobiliser under the dash:

Name:	IMG_20190706_170249066.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	267660

And took out the horrible fake carbon missile switch for the broken front LEDs. If you were expecting quality electrical work then you'll be sadly mistaken; just twisted, with tape:

Name:	IMG_20190706_173528415.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	267661

I decided at the point that I'd had enough of Stevie's wiring so moved on to other less flammable things.

My partner Sally found a few minutes to stop by and pitch in this evening. We started by removing unnecessary orange tat from the cab. The gearstick had a huge orange pleather cone around it (over the top of a perfectly serviceable rubber item, over the top of a perfectly serviceable factory gaiter...) and the handbrake had a matching pleather covering, so we whipped them out.

Naturally these were immediately pressed into service as amusing hats:

Name:	IMG_20190706_172344615.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	267646

Although the dog was less than impressed:

Name:	IMG_20190706_171959099.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	267647

We also took out a reasonably tasteful full width black carpet trimmed in orange, which i forgot to photograph. Underneath this carpet mat was another completely perfect dark grey carpet, on top of the factory rubber floor mat. In other news the accelerator pedal has about an inch and a half more travel now... :/

We also took out the centre console/floor phone tray/cupholder thing that meant the person in the middle didn't have any legroom.
                                If anyone wants any of this tat it's yours lol, i might even be nice and post it:

Name:	IMG_20190706_172620760.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	267662

That's all for today, tomorrow I think we're going to strip the back out and see what eldritch horrors are lurking under the carpeting and ply...

Peace out.

Comment

Working...
                                X