1995 2.4D... In at the deep end!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 2.4D... In at the deep end!

Hi all. Long time listener, first time caller. Love the show!

Myself (and the missus) have just rescued a poor '95 2.4D SWB, that's been sat for 3 years in a barn feeling sorry for herself.

I've lusted after this particular T4 for years as I used to work with the couple who owned it, and I did some electrical work for the split charger. It's had a rough life though.

They picked it up as a runner and enjoyed it for a couple of years on the weekends but it popped the head gasket. The garage that they got to do the work buggered them around for 8 months or so, during which time it was broken into 3 times while it sat in their yard. Turns out you have to lock the doors unless you want the radio and the contents of the back to go walkies...

Eventually the work was done, which included a new head, valves, valve springs and camshaft, gasket and bolts, a timing belt, new alternator, glow plugs, some sensors, two ball joints, and some brake plumbing parts. This came to £800 in parts alone.

They had it back on the road for about 2k miles but it failed it's next MOT, in June 2016:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	272915

You would think that 'throttle sticking' (and it REALLY does) would be more serious than an advisory, but hey...

I've had a good poke around under the back and while the rear outer arches are rusted as T4s are prone to do, the inner arches seem passable and the structural metalwork where the rear suspension mounts up to seems in excellent shape, although there is some surface rust. Maybe the tester was having a bad day...

Mechanically it's not too bad, by all reasoning the engine should be good to go for masny miles, but the bodywork is rough, particularly around the windscreen, the front N/S wheel well, and the wheel arches. The back has at some point been converted but half the stuff is missing now. Somehow (!) it's been registed with the DVLA as a motor caravan so hopefully i can avoid a lot of paperwork there and maybe get the insurance a little cheaper.

So, some pictures:
    This is her in the barn where she's been sat feeling sorry for herself:

Name:	IMG_20190702_130413792.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	272916

Name:	IMG_20190702_130400470.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	272917

I was absolutely thrilled, upon peeling back the plastic cover, to discover that the side door step metalwork appears to be in excellent condition: (how sad is that?)

Name:	IMG_20190704_131621861.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	272918

I was slightly less thrilled to discover this underneath the passenger side step, though:

Name:	IMG-20190704-WA0002.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	272919

Here's her out in the sun for the first time in a long time on the way to her new home:

Name:	IMG_20190704_154301999.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	272920

The first order of business is to get her running again, and I've ordered a new battery as the old one, which went in just before she came off the road, is toast. I suspect a poorly fitted aftermarket alarm system is the culprit. Speaking of wiring, it looks like Stevie Wonder has been through the entire loom with some blunt scissors and a roll of electrical tape, and the rats that have taken up residence in the dashboard have evidently developed a taste for door speaker wiring. Happily I'm pretty handy with the soldering iron so hopefully no problems or electrical fires there.

Aside from the glaring rust issues, the only other real problems I'm aware of so far are that the throttle and fast idle cables are sticking and not returning back under spring pressure. I'm sure I'll find plenty more as I go though...

I've served an eviction notice on the aforementioned rats, and I'll be slowly working through it in the evenings after work to get her back running and on the road so watch this space!

Tom
    Sent from underneath my T4

Hello and welcome or as we say in the Shire "Ahh be ya" looks a good project that. Keep us informed with lots of pictures and any advice needed just ask someone on here will know.

Comment

Welcome aboard.
      Enjoy the journey with us. Love the colour scheme - it'll be a fast one for sure!

Comment

Hello and Welcome [emoji1317]

T4ism is not a Dis-easeJust T4s

Comment

Hello and welcome from Somerset I love the colour of that really nice [emoji106][emoji108]

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Just T4s

Comment

Thanks all for the warm welcome

I did have a question actually: I'm not a paint guy, can anyone recommend a strategy for rust treatment and paint on the bits that haven't gone completely through?

It seems a popular way to do it is to get rid of the loose stuff with a flap disc or wire cup brush then treat the bare metal with Kurust. Should i then use isopon filler and some sort of primer before the top coat? I don't want all the different layers of paint to react with each other!

Comment

Clean to bare metal and try and get rid of ever bit of rust. Failing that you'll have to cut out and replace but it can be kept at bay.

Comment

I was planning on that for the bits that don't need replacing, but I'm unsure about what primer i should be using specifically.

Thanks

Comment

Theres a lot on here that know more about paint than me, they'll be by shortly i'm sure. I just use red barn paint. but the others will put you in the right direction.

Comment

One with a high zinc content

Comment

Have a look at our Blindfaith a Winter Project thread theres plenty of rust repairs on there.

Comment

If its not getting top coat straight away I tend to use epoxy mastic as its non porous and sets rock hard brilliant stuff

Comment

Hello there i like the van looks cool

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

The big Cheese recommended this top product ...

Bilt Hamber Electrox, Unique Zinc-Rich Steel Coating Protection Aerosol 400ml

...in a thread titled "T4 Conversion" and others, where a few of the forums paint elites offer some simple tips, gems of wisdom and product recommendations.

Comment

1995 2.4D... In at the deep end!

Hi Tango and a warm welcome!

Wow, what an incredible looking van and with the best engine too........

Looks like a cracking project you have their. Bet you’re Uber excited. Whereabouts are you in the world?

Have I mentioned you’ve got your hands on an excellent engine there?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                              #vanlife

Comment

Working...
                              X