Hi all. Long time listener, first time caller. Love the show!

Myself (and the missus) have just rescued a poor '95 2.4D SWB, that's been sat for 3 years in a barn feeling sorry for herself.

I've lusted after this particular T4 for years as I used to work with the couple who owned it, and I did some electrical work for the split charger. It's had a rough life though.

They picked it up as a runner and enjoyed it for a couple of years on the weekends but it popped the head gasket. The garage that they got to do the work buggered them around for 8 months or so, during which time it was broken into 3 times while it sat in their yard. Turns out you have to lock the doors unless you want the radio and the contents of the back to go walkies...

Eventually the work was done, which included a new head, valves, valve springs and camshaft, gasket and bolts, a timing belt, new alternator, glow plugs, some sensors, two ball joints, and some brake plumbing parts. This came to £800 in parts alone.

They had it back on the road for about 2k miles but it failed it's next MOT, in June 2016:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mot.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	12925

You would think that 'throttle sticking' (and it REALLY does) would be more serious than an advisory, but hey...

I've had a good poke around under the back and while the rear outer arches are rusted as T4s are prone to do, the inner arches seem passable and the structural metalwork where the rear suspension mounts up to seems in excellent shape, although there is some surface rust. Maybe the tester was having a bad day...

Mechanically it's not too bad, by all reasoning the engine should be good to go for masny miles, but the bodywork is rough, particularly around the windscreen, the front N/S wheel well, and the wheel arches. The back has at some point been converted but half the stuff is missing now. Somehow (!) it's been registed with the DVLA as a motor caravan so hopefully i can avoid a lot of paperwork there and maybe get the insurance a little cheaper.

So, some pictures:
This is her in the barn where she's been sat feeling sorry for herself:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190702_130413792.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	12926
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190702_130400470.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	12927

I was absolutely thrilled, upon peeling back the plastic cover, to discover that the side door step metalwork appears to be in excellent condition: (how sad is that?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190704_131621861.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	12928

I was slightly less thrilled to discover this underneath the passenger side step, though:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190704-WA0002.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	12929

Here's her out in the sun for the first time in a long time on the way to her new home:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190704_154301999.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	12930


The first order of business is to get her running again, and I've ordered a new battery as the old one, which went in just before she came off the road, is toast. I suspect a poorly fitted aftermarket alarm system is the culprit. Speaking of wiring, it looks like Stevie Wonder has been through the entire loom with some blunt scissors and a roll of electrical tape, and the rats that have taken up residence in the dashboard have evidently developed a taste for door speaker wiring. Happily I'm pretty handy with the soldering iron so hopefully no problems or electrical fires there.

Aside from the glaring rust issues, the only other real problems I'm aware of so far are that the throttle and fast idle cables are sticking and not returning back under spring pressure. I'm sure I'll find plenty more as I go though...

I've served an eviction notice on the aforementioned rats, and I'll be slowly working through it in the evenings after work to get her back running and on the road so watch this space!

Tom