Noob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob.

Hi guys, just joined because I have my eye on a 98 T4 2.5tdi Auto.

It looks very nice but I'm wondering about MPG and Road Tax. It is a camper but not registered as a camper because it doesn't have a fitted cooker. Any numbers please?

My other concern is about the mileage: 198000. I see several T4s with high mileage for sale at high prices, but I just want the opinions of experienced owners on here.

Besides holidays it will be our daily motor; shopping, gym etc., so your opinion is valued.

Best,

Chris.

The auto is lovely if it's been looked after, if not it's mega money to put right. Mine failed at 215k after 4 years of over heating and me managing it by adapting my driving style.

I was quoted £3000 to refurb with only 12 months guarantee. In the end I converted to manual for £2000. Van is much more economical than it was as an auto and I prefer driving it now.

Mileage is not a major issue if it's been looked after. Mine is on 218k and drives lovely cos it's looked after and wants for nothing.

The 2.5 tdi is a great engine and I've seen mileage quoted over 300k on forums.

Apart from the gearbox mine has been spot on for the past 4.5 years.

How much is the van up for?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Comment

Mileage is nothing to worry about, keep it serviced, cam belt done and water pump changed at required intervals, keep the rust at bay and give it lots of trips out. It will last and last and last to a point of course.
      Welcome to the 2.5club and you’ve found the best forum, pictures are a must [emoji1303] I achieve about 40mpg and tax is £280 I believe, I don’t pay it the Mrs does, I just insure, fuel and drive it [emoji23] I personally would not go for an auto box as I’ve heard too many negative stories about them failing [emoji1303]

T4ism is not a Dis-easeJust T4s

Comment

Hello and welcome,
        Mileage is not an issue, mpg my brother in law has the 2.5 tdi manual box and if I remember correctly he is getting around 35 40 mpg (I may be a little out)
        Unless there is a reason for the auto box i would tend to look for a manual one. The autos can be a little delicate and with the manual you will get better mpg (dependant upon if you drive like you stole it lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am a bit concerned now about the auto box but I will investigate further re, servicing. If I buy it I will change the ATF immediately to a high grade brand and insert a new filter if applicable to this box.

It looks like I will pay around £4.5k, which seems cheap compared to some I've seen.

Thanks, Karma.

Comment

Originally posted by chrischance View Post
            Thanks for the prompt reply. I am a bit concerned now about the auto box but I will investigate further re, servicing. If I buy it I will change the ATF immediately to a high grade brand and insert a new filter if applicable to this box.

It looks like I will pay around £4.5k, which seems cheap compared to some I've seen.

Thanks, Karma.
            If all is well and slick with the box if it has to be then they are worth a punt as long as you keep well serviced and don't stress it. There are members on here who have them and are very happy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Engine mileage not a problem if cambelts done regular and the oil and filter is changed twice a year. Autos can be fragile, again regular servicing helps.

Comment

I got the 2.8 auto .
                180000 miles and still going, but as karma said. I tell the box when to change gear with my right food. Once u get use to it ....
                £175 tax for 2.8 . Emission class 3 i believe

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Bud the DVLA fucked up. Still don't know what is a predistian controlled vehicle

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Welcome to the forum .

Comment

Hi Andy, thanks for responding. You mention cam belt and water pump intervals - what are the required intervals please?

Comment

Originally posted by chrischance View Post
                        Hi Andy, thanks for responding. You mention cam belt and water pump intervals - what are the required intervals please?
                        Every 80k for belts, WP & tensioners but inspect all, retension & check timing each service.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          Every 80k for belts, WP & tensioners but inspect all, retension & check timing each service.
                          Thanks for that I was in work all day until 10.30pm [emoji1303]🤙🏽

T4ism is not a Dis-easeJust T4s

Comment

Working...
                          X