Another New Guy saying Helllo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    I believe I was asking a reasonable question Chris? You have a 12vdc system grounding a 240vac system in the event of the van chassis becoming mains live.

No, I asked the question - whether an Earthing spike would protect the vans electrical systems better.

I wasnt asking any questions about the probability of either a lightening or meteor strike, neither was I worried about such events occurring.
    Yeah I know I was answering rather inadvisably in the pub. Sorry. I didn’t mean to be a knob. I misunderstood.

So it doesn’t really matter what else is earthed, it is simply earthed. The RCD will trip in milliseconds. You won’t get a jolt unless you touch an unterminated wire then you will get a shock, and again the RCD will trip immediately.
    All any current wants to do is go to earth. As long as all your wiring is earthed then you will have no problems. It’s just the same principle as the vehicle electrics really.

I get that you asked about an earth spike and I’m sorry about my smart arse remark there.
    Of course this will give you great earthing but it is not really needed. You have a perfectly serviceable earth coming into the van from the site supply. Wiring the consumer unit earth to the van chassis ensures that any leaks to chassis is felt by the RCD, earth return protection is provided by your hook up.
    If you are struck by lightning then all your electrical pathways will probably cook as that is one hell of a thump, but you will likely be physically fine because you are not a viable earth.
    Again I’m sorry, I was a bit pissed and clearly being a knob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The End

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
        The End

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s
        Not for me.

Comment

Didn't expect anything else
          Originally posted by Activ8 View Post