What's the best van to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best van to buy

I haven't got a T4 yet but joined here to get to know more about them. I am want to buy one and have done for a long time and want a short nose model as i prefer the look of them but what is the best engine to have. I want it as a day van so what is the best wheel base to have.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Just T4s
    Last edited by MetalMan; 31 May 2019, 04:45 PM.

Hello and welcome
    The best ever one to get is a 1996 short nose 1.9d swb in blue lol
    But really I don't know I think they prob all have good and bad points and which ever one u get will be the one u love
    Someone with a better response will be along shortly [emoji106]

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Just T4s

Comment

Hello and welcome. If your after simplicity and reliability then a 1.9td is for you. no electronics and easily tuneable to give a little more go. All the different engines have their own cult following on here. But don't rule out any of them really. if I was buying again(we have 2, one 1.9td and a 2 litre petrol both swb) i'd go for a LWB

Comment

Agree on lwb too I often think it would be a little nicer with the extra room

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Just T4s

Comment

It depends what your plans are for it,
          I have a tweeked 1.9td abl and she us more than happy sat at 70 mph on the motorway and also doing 30 mph on the roads, she is happy running 25 to 50% cooking oil, and returning good mpg.

My brother in law has a 2.5 tdi 88bhp and loves her and does the same sort if journeys but no cooking can be used

Me neighbour has a 2.4 and loves the green beastie but he only does little mileage

Others have 2.0 or vr6 petrol

I love my abl

Being only a short fella my swb is fine for my use (mainly carrying my wife kids dogs and pet rats around)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

If your unsure,then get to a show or two,you can have a good look at swb/lwb,talk to few owners and hopefully will help you decide.I love my 2.5tdi but wasn’t looking for any particular engine at the time of purchase.My van just turned up at the right price for me.

Comment

I bang on about the 1.9td but its what came along to be fair. Their all good.

Comment

1.9 all day, for me I was looking for half tidy arches and sills and rust around the sliding door. Lots of examples out there and these days a reasonably easy fix but for me I’m not a body work man so the long hunt for reasonably rust free was important. Good luck with the van!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want a SWB, get a SWB

I wanted a LWB but nothing came up in my budget in decent condition, and I spent 18 months looking at a lot of optimistic badly described rubbish.

I also wanted low mileage and a 2.5. and that's what I got.

Condition is key, don't be blinded by fresh paint jobs or bolt on stuff unless its what you actually want

The 1,9 TD is a great engine but the 2.5 has the edge for me. A decent 1.9 tdi conversion would be good too.

Avoid autos - they go wrong.

Comment

As you can see everyone got is own favourite. I got the probably most unwanted version of a t4 and i love it .
                    Swb , long nose, auto box and 25 mpg v6 engine.
                    What's not to love?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s

Comment

There's plenty that would have your van Andreas.

Comment

There used to be a bolt on supercharger kit for the vr6 golfs,wonder if that’s still available.?.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                          As you can see everyone got is own favourite. I got the probably most unwanted version of a t4 and i love it .
                          Swb , long nose, auto box and 25 mpg v6 engine.
                          What's not to love?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s
                          Would love the vr6...... but manual box

Comment

Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                            Would love the vr6...... but manual box

Once the auto box i knackered i may change it to manual. If they is one. V6 came in auto only. Vr6 came with both but can the vr6 box handle the v6? No point to spend all the money if it doesn't work.
                            Anybody done it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                              Once the auto box i knackered i may change it to manual. If they is one. V6 came in auto only. Vr6 came with both but can the vr6 box handle the v6? No point to spend all the money if it doesn't work.
                              Anybody done it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s
                              I’m sure I read somewhere that someone had done it but the gearbox would have been stronger if it had been made of butter. Something like that...

Sent from The Alpine Express using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                              X