Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbi

hi all newbi here
    away to see a vw t4 high top camper ,automatic 1996 with a holdsworth conversion on friday
    just woundering what folk think about these vans
    cheers await your replys

Hello and welcome. Check for rust and service history, cambelt change etc

Comment

Hello and welcome,
      Make sure the auto box is slick between gears and the drive is smooth, any issues could be an issue.
      As above check for rust and make sure everything looks as it should and works.
      Clunks or grinding from the suspension could be ball joints or bushes.

But enjoy and remember we need pictures [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

cheers does anyone know the right sort of money we should be paying out for a van like this

Comment

Hello and welcome. You can't bet a high top when your layed on the bed in the morning trying to get out your sleeping bag and put your trousers on

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by edgyt4 View Post
            cheers does anyone know the right sort of money we should be paying out for a van like this
            As little as possible. Some like high tops, a lot don’t. Don’t be afraid to make a cheeky low offer.

How much is it up for?

Sent from The Alpine Express using Just T4s

Comment

its a 1996 on 86,000 full history looks in gd condition wanting 11 grand its as old as my son just
              wondered what folk are paying

Comment

To be honest, they’re not really my thing so I don’t keep an eye on the market. Someone with more knowledge will be along shortly though, I’m sure.

The old saying is, it’s worth as much as someone pays for it...

Just remember that these aren’t bomb proof, as a lot of sellers claim. They do go wrong. Look at the service history and knock money off accordingly.

Comment

Comparatively to other vans in the range (excluding coach built designs) it's expensive imo. High tops are a marmite design but make sense and cleverly spacious for 2 pax. The high top system can limit parking choice and coastal parking where height restriction barriers control motorhome camping.

It may need more money spending on it to "modernize" the interior and design. In addition to this the auto gear boxes don't wear to well imho and suffer over heating and can bite your wallet to repair/replace (I think recent forum members have been quoted £3k to replace & £2k to swap to manual)

Which engine is fitted?

Comment

Hello and welcome good luck in your search and agreed 11k sounds a little steep to me even if it were mint [emoji106]

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Just T4s

Comment

think its the 2.4 petrol auto thats realy all i know going to view it tommorow evining
                      any more coments be apreciated
                      Last edited by edgyt4; 30 May 2019, 07:32 PM.

Comment

No one wants high tops, petrols or autos - 11k is taking the piss. It would have to be absolutely mint and not have the OAP spec 70s beige interior that seems to plague high tops.

Mate bought a high top a few years ago for too much, it was horrible inside, ugly outside and when he finally realised his mistake couldn't get shot of it. Eventually he part exed it for another T4, lost about the cost of a half decent van in the process. The dealer still had the pig cluttering his forecourt 12 months later.

Comment

we are looking for the headroom and also want a toilet ,so your sayind the popup tops are the way to go with a newer vw t4 or t5

Comment

newbi

I’d say yes, but there’s pop tops and then there’s pop tops. Best off doing a bit of research on them before buying a van with a cheap pop top. A decent one can cost up to around £3500-£4000 supplied, fitted and I think colour matched. That’s just the pop top, not a van with a decent one fitted

Comment

Originally posted by edgyt4 View Post
                              we are looking for the headroom and also want a toilet ,so your sayind the popup tops are the way to go with a newer vw t4 or t5
                              Best to go and look and drive it - if only to rule it out. The experience is worth the effort.

There are several members with build threads on here who have added high tops to their panel transporters so I wouldn't rule it out until I'd seen one.

A friend of mine has a 46k manual 2.5TDi T4 Calypso motorhome after years in pop top conversions . Paid £15k last year and it's fully equipped so you're in that financial territory. Best to take a look if you want all the facilities to hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X