Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! AC question

Hi!

I was trying to find an appropriate section to ask this, I have a '92 Transporter but in the summers I can't deal with the lack of AC. I have used Google but just wondering if anyone has installed one and what you'd recommend.

Thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome,
    My aircon is quite good the more colder air I want in the van the more I open the window. Am sure someone will be along soon that has fitted a.c. or will know what to do. But welcome to the forum and it would be grate to see some pictures of your van.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

My 'velle has aircon, I barely use it. Probably twice in 4 years and both times was in the south of france.

In the uk it's never hot enough to need it really

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hello and welcome, aircon is something I would like but its not the be all and end all, I have front and rear opening windows and a diesel heater for winter.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Cheekystoat View Post
          Hi!

I was trying to find an appropriate section to ask this, I have a '92 Transporter but in the summers I can't deal with the lack of AC. I have used Google but just wondering if anyone has installed one and what you'd recommend.

Thanks in advance!
          Yes you could do it.
          Most of the VAG systems upto 2001ish use the exact same components so you could pull the components from a car and retro fit to mirror a T4 system with a belt driven compressor.

Comment

I thought active8 would know.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

I'm in Canada and it can be close to 35C in the summer. Rolling down the windows does nothing. Just feels like an oven is blowing hot air at me. It is just too hot. I bought the van in 2015 so I've done three summers in it, so far, and every summer I just can't deal. I had to stop travelling because my cat would just lie on the floor panting like a dog while I drove 100km/hr with the windows down.

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
              Yes you could do it.
              Most of the VAG systems upto 2001ish use the exact same components so you could pull the components from a car and retro fit to mirror a T4 system with a belt driven compressor.
              Thank you so much, this is a great help!

Comment

Hello and welcome, i'm with Daley windows down.. Your heater isn't stuck on hot is it?

Comment

Nope, the temperatures fluctuate when I adjust it, but as I said in the updated post, windows down do not work. I like to travel with pets and I cannot do it in my van because my cat and husky overheat so severely.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheekystoat View Post
                    Nope, the temperatures fluctuate when I adjust it, but as I said in the updated post, windows down do not work. I like to travel with pets and I cannot do it in my van because my cat and husky overheat so severely.
                    What engine does your van have?

As activ8 has already said - most VAG AC bits can be retrofitted.

Oh, and welcome along... All the way from Canada! Whereabouts are you, it's a fairly huge country... [emoji869]

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Just T4s
                    '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

I looked into this. It’s a hellish job and would work out mega expensive. Maybe sell yours and buy one with aircon already fitted

Sent from The Alpine Express using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Snowrider View Post
                        I looked into this. It’s a hellish job and would work out mega expensive. Maybe sell yours and buy one with aircon already fitted

Sent from The Alpine Express using Just T4s
                        That's it. Far too much work to retro fit in my eyes.

Comment

Get a cat cage and strap it to the roof, be lovely and cool barrelling along!

What about getting a swamp cooler thing that you see on the old school vans? Don't know how effective they are mind?
                          Basically it works by evaporating out water and transferring the air through the vehicle.

vw-beetle-fitted-with-an-air-conditioning-unit-known-as-a-swamp-cooler-B08WEY.jpg

from one of the many companies offering these type of things and they are available new, search for evaporative cooler...……….

Imagine you and your evaporative cooler are in Las Vegas, and it's 108 degrees outside with a wet bulb temperature of 66 degrees. A swamp cooler operating at 85 percent efficiency can bring the temperature down to a nice, cool 72.3 degrees, right in the human comfort zone.

Comment

It's 2.5L automatic.

I'm in Toronto, but I've driven across the country several times.

Comment

Nothing's impossible if you're prepared to put the effort into it. The dash is relatively easy to remove according to people who have done it, just a case of sourcing parts

Sent from the Midlands by pigeon

Comment

Working...
                              X