No announcement yet.

New to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All down to you at the end of the day mate if the interior is good and how u want it then could be a good buy but if u would change the interior any way then probably not as u would have to spend money on the exterior too
    A friend of mine just bought one outside looks similar to the one u have shown but empty interior and he paid 1500

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Bowen View Post
      Well well. Foxy Morgan. You been on here 2 mins and its the longest thread I've ever read [emoji1787]
      Sent from my LLD-L31 using Just T4s
      Ha alright bud. 🤣 it’s only going to get longer

Originally posted by damont4 View Post
      I think it looks reasonable for 3.5 as long as there is no major rot on it
      I paid 3.5 for mine and it was just an empty van in the back but body wise was In good nick and solid

Don’t do that to me you’re making me go back to the ad 😂, it’s a minefield of choices this t4 buying lark.

Comment

In fairness I think I paid a little over the odds for mine but I had my rose tinted glasses on when I looked at it lol

Comment

Lol I’ll be the same, that’s why I’m trying to get as much info as possible before I turn upto one with money in my pocket.

I can’t help but like the one I linked to

Comment

Can't really say unless seeing it in the flesh but from the pics looks pretty good there's a big dent in the offside sill and I would make sure the sliding door track is not rotting off but if u u get underneath and its all solid and just surface rust in places I think ide be happy to offer him 3 but everyone's different and things can look better in pics rather than real life lol not much help sorry lol just comes down to your gut feeling really when u see it

Comment

Hi morgs and welcome, just to chuck my 2 pence in, I wouldn't discount the 2.4, yes it's an old school diesel engine but you get old school reliability, serviced properly they'll do half a million miles, minimal electrics to go wrong and very easy for the amature mechanic to work on, I actually swapped my engine to a 2.4, I'll admit it wasn't my first choice but it was there and I needed an engine, 3 years later and it's been 100% reliable, never let me down! Mines turbo'ed now with a lower fifth gear and he goes very well indeed, you said you don't want to be messing around with turbo conversions but it is an easy mod, I did mine myself with 0% mechanical knowledge, just to reciprocate what others have said, ingnore the fancy bits and go for a solid van as bodywork is what will cost the big bucks in the long run, good luck with the search, I hope you find what your looking for and we're all here to help you along the way
              Last edited by Big al; 28 May 2019, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks al that’s sound advice, the more 2pences the merrier.

I probably wouldn’t totally discount a 2.4 if the van itself was good.
                And I agree again, a solid base is best, I just can’t help but get attracted to the shiny bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
                  Thanks al that’s sound advice, the more 2pences the merrier.

I probably wouldn’t totally discount a 2.4 if the van itself was good.
                  And I agree again, a solid base is best, I just can’t help but get attracted to the shiny bits.
                  Your only human...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Could be worth a look, one of the last with xpack

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

I wanted a 2.5, tailgated long wheelbase - I bought a 1.9td, lwb with barn doors...
                      It was a battered old builders van (it still is, but I've covered it in shiny bits!).
                      What I paid is fairly irrelevant as it was nearly 10 years ago now, but suffice to say it's cost me a fortune since then. You'll always want to change things, add things, as your needs/tastes change. Get the one that you have gut instinct for - whichever it is you'll have a massive smile on your face as you drive it away.
                      Then it'll break down and you'll want to smash it to bits... [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Just T4s
                      '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

I see it's been sold did you buy it?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

Nope ...

Comment

My advice would be to take your time and don't rush your purchase. Don't buy by its price.

Drive and view them all (all types and engines - seek them out) and know your build elements and prices so you can do the maths.

Buy once with no regret or doubt, as it becomes part of the family & the investment in time and money can be very high.

You could pick up a better priced example and have more buyers choice during November to February. There's a peak in available "stock" during September & October when many review and attempt to capitalise on the peaked scene vibe and prices.

In my experience bodywork & paintwork are the most expensive if you outsource the job, sometimes costing as much as the initial van outlay.

Try and hook up with local owners and for the sake of a beer or three ask for their help when viewing.

Get the family involved in the choices, build contents and styling. The outlay is far easier to justify and the experience shared is a bond for life.

Know your onions. 80% of Sellers know very little about their "mechanical van" with most trusting a garage to maintain it. Timing is essential on a diesel, it should start without choke, within a second of ignition and not look like a sieve of wiring spaghetti under the bonnet. Receipts are the only proof believed. Proud owners go the extra mile in looking after their T4 and selling it on.

Be organised. Happy hunting!

Comment

Thanks activ8, more sound advice again.

I’m not in a massive rush, I want one before the end of October though for wrc, me and my little un slept in the car for last 3 years, I’d like a van by then even if it’s just a mattress in the back of it.

I’m going to view that one I linked tomorrow I think (it’s not sold), don’t think I’ll get it as it looks a bit too rusty, but would be good to see what I’m up against, I could also really like it.

I just drove past a 03 Caravelle and it looked mint from a passing distance, I may be better off just putting all 4K towards a clean van anf a mattress and just taking months/years getting it done in back.

I’m trying to get to know my onions with these before I go viewing, at least the critical expensive things I should be wary of. I’ve seen cambelt change prices are £300 just for the correct parts, plus labour so need to factor that in too.
                              I also know this is probably the worst time to be looking for one just entering the summer, not sure if prices will change that much in september/ October though for it to be worth the wait.

Comment

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F233241667714

You might be able to haggle with on this one , looks ok and a little different colour wise 🤙

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                                X