New to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
    Welcome to the forum ,for inspiration have a look through the build threads on here , there’s lots of different styles and directions people go when converting a van too a day van / camper .

I bought my van just over a year ago and it’s still work in progress .

https://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.php?19834-Shed-Seven

Thanks, yea I’m skimming lots of builds at the mo, that cheesmans is some build, mine will be toned down to thatha. I’ll check yours out now

Comment

Originally posted by damien devil View Post
      Welcome morgs and good luck in your search for the T4, advice I can give from experience is , check under the plastic door sills for rust , around front window , and near the fuel filter area just I. Front of the battery area, these were areas wher my T4 had excessive rust, caused from a unidentified front window leak that kept the water hidden under the passenger side plastic step for years causing the rust issue, my van is 1.9 non turbo 800 special ,used daily and for camping trips , started off as a standard van it's an early model 1995 tailgate, but great on fuel which helps on long journeys cost wise, built not bought , so my advice is find what you can , and what your happy with and enjoy the build ,it's an amazing reward to build your own, and you will not regret it , you will have ups and downs and things go wrong , including bottomless pockets (money pits), but it's all well spent , the joys and experience you will have is priceless, Ive changed every part on my T4 , but to be expected for 24 years old, we all love photos on here so when you find your dream machine project , put up a post and build thread , and good luck and welcome to the T4 family,

Come rain or shine I'm out in mine!!

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 using Just T4s
      Thanks for the rust tips, that’s a couple of mentions of under plastics now.
      It won’t be used as a daily, purely for trips away so will have lots of time sat at home with me playing diy challenge in the back. So engine wise im after reliability and cost of repairs more than anything else, I don’t think mileage is too much of an issue as they all will run a good few hundred thousand?

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
        Hello and welcome. Heres goes. Spend 2 grand on a nice solid base van with a bit of history. That's leaves 2 grand to put your stamp on it. 1.9td in white with barn doors not tailgate. You don't need a tailgate to stand under when it rains, that's what the pubs for. If you get a solid base you can keep the rust at bay these things are not to bad rustwise at all compared with other vehicles of a similar age. Good luck. I should say don't buy the first one you see but we did.
        That's right Si, but if u want to go fast to the pub then u got no option, some engine's come with tailgate only.

And a very welcome to a potential new member

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
          Seeing this makes me want to buy an already registered camper on v5 and not have to have that faff with the DVLA. I’d have to keep it registered as a van for a year or two while I get it all done otherwise. The water part of requirements is a bit iffy too, does it just mean a water jack is ok?
          Also, the permanent cooking facilities, I was planning on making a shelf/ cut out to place a removable camping stove. Hmm.
          Personally unless your buying from a known, build your own. Reason being you know it's done to your standards. There have been loads have bought and ripped out. Don't uber spend for a little bit of paper.
          Tbh it looks less of a faff than I thought, and if no water is needed (looks like a grey area) I am there.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

One thing to remember is whatever you buy this is a grate forum and will always help with advice and if you buy a plane panel van you can put your own stamp on it.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

The rear floor is worth looking at properly. If it's ply-lined get them to lift it or crawl underneath with a good torch, some goggles and a pokey stick. I've seen vans where the mounts had let go of the dampers and they were pushing up on the ply!

The lower channel for the sliding door not only rust but I'm told can be a bit of a bastard to repair.

Usual old car stuff applies, if it looks odd then investigate it. My van has some seam sealer and filler popping out and some general scabbiness round the o/s/r panels. When I got the ply lining out to sound deaden & insulate there was the aftermath of a pretty shocking accident repair. It doesn't bother me really but if I'd paid proper money for the van it probably would.

Four grand gives you a massive range of vans to choose from so look at as many as possible and be picky.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

The more I read, the more I think I should buy a basic van that hasn’t got lots of hidden surprises.

I’m hoping I can pick a van up for about £2000 and use the other £2k for instant working and cleaning up of van. It was suggested in this thread and I think it’s a good idea.

I know of a local 1994 1.9 with low mileage, about 130k for £3000. It’s alrrady registered as camper but is only carpet lined (I’d be doing that again). I’m not sure if 3k is too much for that age and engine though, even with the low mileage.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

The more I read, the more I think I should buy a basic van that hasn’t got lots of hidden surprises.

I’m hoping I can pick a van up for about £2000 and use the other £2k for instant working and cleaning up of van. It was suggested in this thread and I think it’s a good idea.

I know of a local 1994 1.9 with low mileage, about 130k for £3000. It’s alrrady registered as camper but is only carpet lined (I’d be doing that again). I’m not sure if 3k is too much for that age and engine though, even with the low mileage.
                  Forget about age related pricing. Condition is key, I bought ness (my t4) for £4500 ish, I went for her lack of obvious rust although because if the stupid ally arch spats she had on she has had to have new arches all around! There is no rust or crust on the important bits and she has most of the spec I wanted electric mirrors windows and remote locking. She came carpet lined with alfa seats up front and 1 in the back too. Lining and seat in the back removed I insulated her properly and fitted a bongo seat on rails then floor carpet,,,,, I have built her from there as to what is needed/wanted from there. Now she has split charge and battery 240v hookup bed TV etc etc etc...

Looking back I would buy her again cos its that feeling I got from her as I was with her, same as i got when i saw my scimitar.... LOVE

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

You have a scimitar!? Nice

Comment

You have a scimitar!? Nice
                      Ohhhh for fucks sake don't get him started on the Scimitar.Bandd

Welcome to the site.
                      I started with a panel van and can switch it back to one by removing two bits of furniture (have to twice a year for my itv inspection). So you can have the best of both worlds of you really want. I spent next to no money doing it out as well.
                      Last edited by arfur fox-acre; 28 May 2019, 01:18 PM.
                      Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                        Ohhhh for fucks sake don't get him started on the Scimitar.

Welcome to the site.
                        I started with a panel van and can switch it back to one by removing two bits of furniture (have to twice a year for my itv inspection). So you can have the best of both worlds of you really want. I spent next to no money doing it out as well.
                        Haha

I’m thinking I’ll just the strongest looking 2-3grand van I can find no matter what it comes with. I know I change my mind like the wind but I’d like the 1.9tdi now or 2.4. As tempted as I am by the local 1.9 I think I’d regret getting it always thinking I should have got a tdi or bigger engine

Comment

If I could chose again I would go 1.9td. I have an 2.5tdi 102hp and I dare not think what I've spent keeping it running over the three years I've had it.
                          Tailgates are a winner because they look better.

Comment

If I could chose again I would go 1.9td. I have an 2.5tdi 102hp and I dare not think what I've spent keeping it running over the three years I've had it.
                            Beauty is in the eye of beholder and you can’t beat a nice set of back doors!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                            Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

That’s good Info, I’m all about keeping running costs down, It’s not going to be a daily and I’ve already got one money pit.
                              Maybe I’ll look more towards the 1.9td or 2.4 for now unless anything stand out with the other engines comes along.

Comment

Originally posted by tommo1366 View Post
                                Beauty is in the eye of beholder and you can’t beat a nice set of back doors!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                                The other thing that puts me off is people keep talking about smashing them in.
                                I wouldn't want that to happen to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X