Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    daleydub's Avatar Unemployed (Platinum)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S49 View Post
    Hello and welcome. Heres goes. Spend 2 grand on a nice solid base van with a bit of history. That's leaves 2 grand to put your stamp on it. 1.9td in white with barn doors not tailgate. You don't need a tailgate to stand under when it rains, that's what the pubs for. If you get a solid base you can keep the rust at bay these things are not to bad rustwise at all compared with other vehicles of a similar age. Good luck. I should say don't buy the first one you see but we did.
    You see Simon has a barn door and wishes he had a tail gate and as you will see we like a laught on here with each other and help is always here. but the most important thing is it MUST be white because as Simon aka s49 will also tell you the white ones go faster and because they go faster the tailgate needs to be deployed to act as a large spoiler.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

2. The Following User Says Thank You to daleydub For This Useful Post:

damont4 (27th May 2019)

S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,183 Times in 3,298 Posts
    We also bought the second one we saw and that was just a picture of it on the bay of flea. Tailgates are also no good if you need to load the back with a fork lift.

daleydub's Avatar Unemployed (Platinum)
    Thanks
    If you tip the van on its side the forklift can get in

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daleydub For This Useful Post:

arfur fox-acre (28th May 2019),S49 (27th May 2019)

TommyP's Avatar You need to get out more (Gold)
    Thanks

Hi Morgs and welcome! £4K is a decent budget for a base van. I paid £2k last year for my 2.4d white work one which was structurally sound and in decent condition for an ex metalworkers van but it had loads of mechanical bodges. I wasnít bothered as I love doing all the work and put it all right fairly quickly and for little money.

My advice would be to find the most basic van you can possibly find with absolutely no aftermarket addons like windows or anything. My red camper had windows but they were shit quality ones so I swapped them anyway and it was also carpeted and looked fine but Iím a little anal, so tore it out and the insulation beneath the carpet was terrible (old newspapers and jiffy bags!) so I really would look for a blank canvas or plan to do it again at least maybe. Depends on what you want to do with it.

Barn doors vs tailgate: personal preference and again depends on how you want to use it. Barn doors for my work one and I changed to a tailgate for my camper as I like the canopy and lack of doors in the way whilst on site camping.

Engines: ultimately isnít a major factor whatís motoring it along as itís all about cruising along in the greatest motor vehicle ever created. Having said that, I personally prefer the 1.9d/1.9td or the 2.4d for their reliability/simplicity. I discounted the 2.4d once upon a time as I thought it would be woefully underpowered but came across mine and the van itself was so good I went for it as everything else at the time were bags of shit with bloated prices. Iíve since turboed it and find it absolutely sensational now.

Rust: aside from the usual as you say, my experience is the underbody for rust. Rear floor etc also some have mentioned under the plastic door steps. Lower sliding door rail too maybe. Others can advise better tho Iím sure and will be along shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    Last edited by TommyP; 27th May 2019 at 08:05 PM.
    #vanlife

Morgs's Avatar Maybe you actually know something (Bronze)
    Thanks
    Haha, great maybe tailgate/barn door is personal preference. I donít want to start any fall out on my first day here haha.

If I could find a solid 1.9tdi for 2 grand Iíd be all over it.

S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Rustwise check front out riggers and chassis legs,sliding door lower sections, floor where it meets in front of and behind rear archs, front door steps under the plastic foot wells(only seconds to take out and check) also front sills nearside always seems to be worst. Oh and windscreen surrounds. Had the screen out of both ours de scabbed, painted pillars and roof and new screen fitted. Sounds scary but hey a transit this age will be in half by now.

S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgs View Post
    Haha, great maybe tailgate/barn door is personal preference. I don’t want to start any fall out on my first day here haha.

If I could find a solid 1.9tdi for 2 grand I’d be all over it.
    They are out there. And don't worry its all banter.

Thanks
    @tommyp thanks for that mate, lots of good info there.

I agree with you about starting from scratch inside, you make a good point about redoing the carpet anyway too, I know I probably would end up redoing it.

God point about the tailgate lifting up out of the way, though Iíll take it however the van I like comes as I donít really have a preference at the mo.

Have you got a build thread on here?

Thanks
    Thanks S49, I will be sure to have that list of checking points with me!

Great welcome to this site, all, FairPlay

S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Have a look at Old Hat and Blindfaith A Winter Project for a couple a good how not to's. The rust starts about page 17 on Blindfaith.
    Last edited by S49; 27th May 2019 at 08:29 PM.