New to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum

Hi all, havnt yet bought a t4 but thought it would be good to see what little details I need to know about them before buying.

The 2.5tdi has been suggested time as the one to go for, not sure I should let this outweigh other things yet.

Let the search begin

Hello and welcome to the home of the t4 nut.
    The biggest thing to look for as with any older vehicle is rust. But be wary of tuttied up wrecks.....
    Depends what you are doing, I have a 1.9td (abl) she will happily sit at 70 up hill and down dale (she has had a little tweek botnet requires no parts) my bro in law has a 2.5tdi and is happy my neighbour has a 2.4 and is equally happy.
    The 1.9td and the 2.4 will run with chip oil where as the 2.5 won't.

Don't be swayed by stick on bits and bats pick a good van it will end up cheaper....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Hello and welcome
      Mine is a 1.9 non turbo really slow but love it great on fuel 40mpg if I was doing it again I would probably go for the 1.9td abl just for that little extra umph up hills [emoji106]

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hello and welcome.I’m a 2.5tdi..Just look for some with a service history of some description.As greedy says check for rot and don’t be swayed by bolt on tat.A base van can be made into your own vision.They’re good looking things that don’t need all the doo dads,bit like the members of this forum

Comment

Sorry Greeny..wasn’t calling you greedy.bloody predictive txt..

Comment

Welcome hope you find something I have the 1.9td and with a tweak it's got what I need

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles02 View Post
              Sorry Greeny..wasn’t calling you greedy.bloody predictive txt..
              If you saw what I had just eaten you would!!

Comment

Thanks for all the quick welcomes and advice, good to see it’s an active forum.

My budget is only about £4K so really just looking for a solid van and I would do the inside, I’m not looking for one fully loaded, doubt I could for budget.
                If it was lined and carpeted and have side windows it would be a bonus though.

Still unsure whether a twin opening rear door or one that lifts would be best, probably make no difference.

As for rust, yes I expect it and dread it, I’ve owned 90s jap cars for the last 20 years so its well known to me.
                What would be the first places to check for signs of deeper rust, or where do they go first apart from arches.

I think aslong as it’s a turbo the 1.9 would be fine too. Lots of research to do, I’m not fussed on speed or slow less ness within reason.

Thanks again for the welcomes

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
                  Thanks for all the quick welcomes and advice, good to see it’s an active forum.

My budget is only about £4K so really just looking for a solid van and I would do the inside, I’m not looking for one fully loaded, doubt I could for budget.
                  If it was lined and carpeted and have side windows it would be a bonus though.

Still unsure whether a twin opening rear door or one that lifts would be best, probably make no difference.

As for rust, yes I expect it and dread it, I’ve owned 90s jap cars for the last 20 years so its well known to me.
                  What would be the first places to check for signs of deeper rust, or where do they go first apart from arches.

I think aslong as it’s a turbo the 1.9 would be fine too. Lots of research to do, I’m not fussed on speed or slow less ness within reason.

Thanks again for the welcomes
                  1.9 td can be quite handy! Mine will out drag my brother in laws 2.5 tdi and I get better mpg and I can run on chip oil [emoji1787]

Comment

Hello and welcome. Heres goes. Spend 2 grand on a nice solid base van with a bit of history. That's leaves 2 grand to put your stamp on it. 1.9td in white with barn doors not tailgate. You don't need a tailgate to stand under when it rains, that's what the pubs for. If you get a solid base you can keep the rust at bay these things are not to bad rustwise at all compared with other vehicles of a similar age. Good luck. I should say don't buy the first one you see but we did.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                      Hello and welcome. Heres goes. Spend 2 grand on a nice solid base van with a bit of history. That's leaves 2 grand to put your stamp on it. 1.9td in white with barn doors not tailgate. You don't need a tailgate to stand under when it rains, that's what the pubs for. If you get a solid base you can keep the rust at bay these things are not to bad rustwise at all compared with other vehicles of a similar age. Good luck. I should say don't buy the first one you see but we did.
                      You see Simon has a barn door and wishes he had a tail gate[emoji12] and as you will see we like a laught on here with each other and help is always here. but the most important thing is it MUST be white because as Simon aka s49 will also tell you the white ones go faster and because they go faster the tailgate needs to be deployed to act as a large spoiler.

Comment

We also bought the second one we saw and that was just a picture of it on the bay of flea. Tailgates are also no good if you need to load the back with a fork lift.

Comment

If you tip the van on its side the forklift can get in[emoji23]

Comment

New to the forum

Hi Morgs and welcome! £4K is a decent budget for a base van. I paid £2k last year for my 2.4d white work one which was structurally sound and in decent condition for an ex metalworkers van but it had loads of mechanical bodges. I wasn’t bothered as I love doing all the work and put it all right fairly quickly and for little money.

My advice would be to find the most basic van you can possibly find with absolutely no aftermarket addons like windows or anything. My red camper had windows but they were shit quality ones so I swapped them anyway and it was also carpeted and looked fine but I’m a little anal, so tore it out and the insulation beneath the carpet was terrible (old newspapers and jiffy bags!) so I really would look for a blank canvas or plan to do it again at least maybe. Depends on what you want to do with it.

Barn doors vs tailgate: personal preference and again depends on how you want to use it. Barn doors for my work one and I changed to a tailgate for my camper as I like the canopy and lack of doors in the way whilst on site camping.

Engines: ultimately isn’t a major factor what’s motoring it along as it’s all about cruising along in the greatest motor vehicle ever created. Having said that, I personally prefer the 1.9d/1.9td or the 2.4d for their reliability/simplicity. I discounted the 2.4d once upon a time as I thought it would be woefully underpowered but came across mine and the van itself was so good I went for it as everything else at the time were bags of shit with bloated prices. I’ve since turboed it and find it absolutely sensational now.

Rust: aside from the usual as you say, my experience is the underbody for rust. Rear floor etc also some have mentioned under the plastic door steps. Lower sliding door rail too maybe. Others can advise better tho I’m sure and will be along shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                            Last edited by TommyP; 27 May 2019, 08:05 PM.
                            #vanlife

Comment

Haha, great maybe tailgate/barn door is personal preference. I don’t want to start any fall out on my first day here haha.

If I could find a solid 1.9tdi for 2 grand I’d be all over it.

Comment

Working...
                              X