Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Morgs's Avatar Maybe you actually know something (Bronze)
    Thanks

New to the forum

Hi all, havnt yet bought a t4 but thought it would be good to see what little details I need to know about them before buying.

The 2.5tdi has been suggested time as the one to go for, not sure I should let this outweigh other things yet.

Let the search begin

Greeny gtc's Avatar Unemployed (Platinum)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,294 Posts
    Hello and welcome to the home of the t4 nut.
    The biggest thing to look for as with any older vehicle is rust. But be wary of tuttied up wrecks.....
    Depends what you are doing, I have a 1.9td (abl) she will happily sit at 70 up hill and down dale (she has had a little tweek botnet requires no parts) my bro in law has a 2.5tdi and is happy my neighbour has a 2.4 and is equally happy.
    The 1.9td and the 2.4 will run with chip oil where as the 2.5 won't.

Don't be swayed by stick on bits and bats pick a good van it will end up cheaper....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

damont4's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Hello and welcome
    Mine is a 1.9 non turbo really slow but love it great on fuel 40mpg if I was doing it again I would probably go for the 1.9td abl just for that little extra umph up hills

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Eagles02's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Hello and welcome.I’m a 2.5tdi..Just look for some with a service history of some description.As greedy says check for rot and don’t be swayed by bolt on tat.A base van can be made into your own vision.They’re good looking things that don’t need all the doo dads,bit like the members of this forum

Eagles02's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Sorry Greeny..wasn’t calling you greedy.bloody predictive txt..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagles02 For This Useful Post:

S49 (27th May 2019)

daleydub's Avatar Unemployed (Platinum)
    Thanks
    Welcome hope you find something I have the 1.9td and with a tweak it's got what I need

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles02 View Post
    Sorry Greeny..wasnít calling you greedy.bloody predictive txt..
    If you saw what I had just eaten you would!!

Morgs's Avatar Maybe you actually know something (Bronze)
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the quick welcomes and advice, good to see itís an active forum.

My budget is only about £4K so really just looking for a solid van and I would do the inside, Iím not looking for one fully loaded, doubt I could for budget.
    If it was lined and carpeted and have side windows it would be a bonus though.

Still unsure whether a twin opening rear door or one that lifts would be best, probably make no difference.

As for rust, yes I expect it and dread it, Iíve owned 90s jap cars for the last 20 years so its well known to me.
    What would be the first places to check for signs of deeper rust, or where do they go first apart from arches.

I think aslong as itís a turbo the 1.9 would be fine too. Lots of research to do, Iím not fussed on speed or slow less ness within reason.

Thanks again for the welcomes

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgs View Post
    Thanks for all the quick welcomes and advice, good to see itís an active forum.

My budget is only about £4K so really just looking for a solid van and I would do the inside, Iím not looking for one fully loaded, doubt I could for budget.
    If it was lined and carpeted and have side windows it would be a bonus though.

Still unsure whether a twin opening rear door or one that lifts would be best, probably make no difference.

As for rust, yes I expect it and dread it, Iíve owned 90s jap cars for the last 20 years so its well known to me.
    What would be the first places to check for signs of deeper rust, or where do they go first apart from arches.

I think aslong as itís a turbo the 1.9 would be fine too. Lots of research to do, Iím not fussed on speed or slow less ness within reason.

Thanks again for the welcomes
    1.9 td can be quite handy! Mine will out drag my brother in laws 2.5 tdi and I get better mpg and I can run on chip oil

S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,187 Times in 3,301 Posts
    Hello and welcome. Heres goes. Spend 2 grand on a nice solid base van with a bit of history. That's leaves 2 grand to put your stamp on it. 1.9td in white with barn doors not tailgate. You don't need a tailgate to stand under when it rains, that's what the pubs for. If you get a solid base you can keep the rust at bay these things are not to bad rustwise at all compared with other vehicles of a similar age. Good luck. I should say don't buy the first one you see but we did.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S49 For This Useful Post:

Activ8 (27th May 2019),Fruitbat (27th May 2019)