Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S49 View Post
    I did pop the diagram up a bit back. Will dig it out again and put on.
    I’ve had a look for it but I cannas find it so any pointers would be hugely appreciated and thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Sorry yes. If cant find the picture on our laptop i'll photo it again in the morning then post up mate.

Comment

Right here goes. Take the small wire off the starter(live when cranking) and fit to terminal 86 on your 4 pin relay. Run a fused wire from the battery positive to terminal 30, 15 or 20 amp should do. Then run a wire from the battery negative post to terminal 85 on the relay. Finally fit a wire from the 87 terminal on the relay to the connection on the starter where you took off the one from the ignition crank feed.This mod by passes all the resistance in the loom and ignition switch. Our Corrado used to just go "click" 5 times out of ten until I did this mod. Its been a few years and it hasn't failed to spin over since. DSCN2042.jpg
        Last edited by S49; 31 May 2019, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I suspect a lot of starter motors are replaced because of this, a shinny new starter will be fine for a few years but I've done this on clients motors countless times.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
            I suspect a lot of starter motors are replaced because of this, a shinny new starter will be fine for a few years but I've done this on clients motors countless times.
            Thanks mate really appreciate it

Comment

Sorry S49, but your solution makes no sense electrically. The starter motor is not receiving enough current, and that current is not supplied via the circuit you have put the relay in - it is supplied by one massive cable from battery to starter.

The starter already has a massive relay built in that provides this purpose - that is what the 'click' is.

I'll bet it's a brush pack fault in the starter or the braided wire from starter main terminal to motor is either breaking down or the contacts are dirty. Remove, inspect and clean as required. Budget for a new starter motor or replace the brushes if you have the skills.

Comment

I've thought that Reg and what you say is correct but its worked for me so many times.

Comment

You have me thinking now Reg. Did the Volvo 440's and our Corrado go click? Which would be the solenoid going in and starter then doing nothing or in the crank position did nothing happen at all? Am now suspecting the later as you say. If it was resistance in the wiring from ignition switch to starter you wouldn't get the "click" would you. Just got up but think I already need a lye down. Trying to remember what the Volvos did. It came about as we were having loads of starter warranty claims rejected, we fitted the relay as I've shown and the cars were trouble free from then.
                  Last edited by S49; 1 June 2019, 06:59 AM.

Comment

I've just awoke the boss to ask and she says when you turned the key nothing happened. I'll get me coat.

Comment

Another query if I may how can I find out what exactly is the model and engine variant for this van please?

Comment

Here she is in Looe this morning after our first night away amazing fun apart from the bulldog and jrt sharing the bed [emoji42]

Comment

Originally posted by Bazman View Post

Here she is in Looe this morning after our first night away amazing fun apart from the bulldog and jrt sharing the bed [emoji42]

Like the curtain / side window blind!

Comment

Should be a plastic cover on the fusebox all the info should be on a paper sticker attached to it.

Comment

Ask VW parts desk - they'll tell you everything. If the paper spec sheet has gone missing/dissolved/is full of random codes that make no sense

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                                ....is full of random codes that make no sense
                                There's an online look up site .... or tool that does it for you....

Comment

Working...
                                X