Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JonR6's build (and destruction) thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

05/08/13

Well last week I went for a trip to Devon dubfest and then a trip around Cornwall, but before I left I saw that one of my tyres was getting a bit low on tread so took the opportunity (excuse) to see what my van would look like with banded steels, so I sent them away for banding and they came back today looking like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_04071_zps34147db3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	257274

I just need to finish off a bit of preparation and then will paint them, although not sure on colour yet.

Comment

30/8/13

Well, time for a bit of an update, I havent been doing much recently with the van as it been both my parents had their 60th birthday (expensive!) and we went on another holiday down to Cornwall with the van, where I proposed to Ms R6 (she said yes!! ) so all in all everything has been pretty busy.

To give you an idea of how bad my steels were before I got them refurbed...

Name:	IMG_03501_zps4101a6a9.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	257275

Did a bit of work on them before painting (which I am doing today)

Name:	IMG_03501_zps4101a6a9.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	257275

Name:	IMG_04461_zps35da1693.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	257276

Name:	IMG_04471_zpsf0026d15.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	257277

And until I have them finished, some other news is that I just took the van over 80k!

Name:	IMG_04331_zps93f60a24.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	257278

Comment

21/09/13

Well, I finally got the wheels on!

Name:	Bandedsteels219132of5_zps85c8f7be.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	257279

Name:	Bandedsteels219133of5_zps1dd8b02f.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	257280

Name:	Bandedsteels219134of5_zpsd252ed3f.jpg
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	257281

Name:	Bandedsteels219135of5_zps96b0af58.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	257282

Im just looking to get some caddy hubcaps on there to finish them off now, maybe when funds permit I will get them powdercoated, but for now im happy!

Comment

24/09/13

Wohoo! It passed its MOT today with no advisories!

Comment

24/01/14

Wow... after what feels the longest wait EVER in the history of mankind, I saved up for my RNR bed and finally got it! As you can see its a full width from Autobeds and I am really pleased with the quality. I have had it made backwards, this is for a couple of reasons. First and foremost is so that I still have the load area free for my carpet cleaning eqipment, but also so that when I do have people in the back, they are sat near enough that I can still hold a conversation.

Name:	van1_zps66da1d43.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	257283

Name:	van2_zps20ea0f72.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	257284

Comment

11/03/14

Well, continued working on the van today, fitted some sexy new Audiosport door pockets. I hated the price but love the quality of them! Inside I added another pair of top of the range pioneer 17cm speakers. This has now given me replaced dashboard speakers, new front door speakers and a decent set in the barn doors.

Name:	photo1_zps5da2fbfa.jpg
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	257285

I also bought a new (far better) amp and a smaller sub box, now my twin 12" subs sit just behind driver and passenger. This has all made the stereo SERIOUSLY loud!

Name:	photo2_zps39f03b50.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	257286

Comment

27/05/14

I honestly don't know how to write this, im gutted right now despite the fact what happened is now several days ago.

Each year along with some friends I organise a charity trip we call Rogue Run. A lot of the time I spend my winters working on the van with this specific trip in mind. This year the route went through Verbier (Switzerland), San Remo (Italy), Valance (France) and Le Mans (France).

Anyway, as usual the van was fully serviced etc before we left. It ran fine for most of the first two days performing faultlessly as it always does. Then just outside of Savona in Italy... the engine started sounding really rough and we were only half an hour from our campsite. I thought about trying to limp it there and have our mechanic friend check it out that evening. It was so bad I quickly changed my mind and told our friends in the two cars in front of us that I needed to come off at the next services (1500 meters away). As soon as I said it, the engine blew up. An unholy bang and blue smoke out the back of the van and we just coasted to the side of the road.

Name:	photo1_zps1a015336.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	257287

As I was in a dangerous place the Italian roadside assistance quickly came and got us and took us back the their yard. The driver didn't speak English but he took a look at the engine and gave it the rest in peace sign....

Anyway, to cut a long story a bit shorter, I got our mechanic friend to come and check it out at the yard, he took a look and something has happened to cause the crank to bend and break and It looks like it has taken the whole of the bottom end out with it. So, here is the mileage of my van when she went terminal...

Name:	photo3_zpsbe755505.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	257288

and this is where she currently rests in Italy...

Name:	photo4_zps55b20e4b.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	257289

So... I am now back in England with a van that is stuck in Italy with no engine. I am having to argue with the RAC as at the moment they are trying to get out of repatriating my vehicle as they are trying to claim the value of transport exceeds the value of the van. Obviously I am telling them they will bring it back as thats the cover I have paid for. THIS IS NOT AN ARGUMENT I WILL LOSE.

So, right now I'm looking at three options and have no idea what to do....
                1) Get her back home, repair and rebuild. Put a 2.5 or a 1.9tdi lump in and up the power. Having said that, I need it to be LEZ compliant.

2) Get her back home, find another T4 and use mine as a donor vehicle. Then sell it to someone who can start over.

3) Get her back home, make the BIG financial jump and buy a T5, and again use mine as a donor vehicle for bed, stereo etc.

As I said, im gutted right now and don't know what to do. I will be picking peoples brains on the forum over the next few weeks and months to see whats best. Either way, I will keep you updated on here and let you know what RAC say about getting my van back.... they have already mentioned scrapping it which I found disgusting.

Comment

27/05/14

At this point some friends on my previous build thread asked about Veggie oil playing a part in the destruction

I have thought about a petrol lump, I like the idea of having a powerful T4 like Karls (I'm sure he has a Octavia VRS lump). My only concern over that would be running costs... I don't know if a petrol van would be a bit thirsty.

As far as I'm aware, the Veggie oil had no impact. Besides, I have been running it for several months now on pure diesel (and used some of that Rhino additive).

Comment

21/07/14

Well, about a week and a half ago the van got sent away to have the shiney new engine put in. It is REALLY starting to grate on my that im losing my van in the best part of the year. Why couldnt this happen in summer?

I WANT MY VAN BACK!!!!!!

Comment

22/07/14

Its a 1.8T 20v from an Audi TT. I think it starts with 225bhp, but its got an uprated turbo and a couple of other tweeks. If they dont do it for me before sending the van back, im going to find a rolling road and find out what it really puts out.

Comment

22/07/14

While the van is also in this many bits, im also having a 5th gear mod done and new Bilstein B4's put on to match the Eibach shocks.

Comment

15/04/14

Well after not hearing much for the last couple of weeks I went to go and see the mechanics yesterday. I would like to have seen them much further along with the work but apparently they were on holiday for a couple of weeks. So far, the old engine is out.... they say they have made new engine mounts and are in the middle of servicing the new engine and putting all new belts etc on it.

Name:	20140814_102558_zpsdf4b5894.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	257290

This is the old engine, you can see just how big the hole is that it blew out the side of it. The garage can't find any reason why this might have happened and have said what so many of my friends have said, normally these engines are really reliable!

Name:	20140814_103529_zpse8192c9d.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	257291

Comment

To clarify this point in my build thread, the mechanic kept the van for a long time and kept stringing me along with excuses.

Comment

08/01/15

He has had it for nearly 6 months now. The engine is all in but he had to fabricate a few things. Last I heard just before Christmas is that he needs to finish up the wiring. I'm hoping to have it back February.

Comment

06/03/15

Fuel lines are being fitted to the fuel tank at the minute apparently. then it should be ready to fire. Having said that, its then going in for a whole new exhaust system and MOT before I get it back.

I'm going up there next week to see if he is good to his word about what he is doing. I am frustrated to say the least, and won't believe it is back until I am actually driving it.

Comment

Working...
                                X