Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JonR6's build (and destruction) thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JonR6's build (and destruction) thread....

Hi all,

I have copied this thread over from another site (T4forum) so I can keep working on it here as a living document to go with my van. Many of these first posts will be direct copies from there but I will add the dates they were posted so you know when things were done. I would be interested to see what you all think and I will keep you updated as to the progress.

14/10/11

Having picked up my van from T4 Virgin last weekend, I thought it was finally time I signed up as an offical member (if you will accept me!) of Team White. So here is my shiney new (to me) S reg 1.9TD transporter, 63000 miles young and running sweet. I flew up on Sunday and after a quick look around the van it was as good as I had been hoping for, so after after parting with my hard earned money, I filled it up and headed for home.... after 15 minutes I realised I was going the wrong way, so turned around and headed south!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Original for sale pictures (10).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	269513

As you can see from the photos, it is a fairly tidy van, and T4 Virgin helpfully sold me some captains seats to go with it. The eventual plan is to get a rock and roll bed put in the back and then reupholster all the seats to match.

Name:	Original for sale pictures (9).jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	257181

Name:	Original for sale pictures (6).jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	257182

Running it home the van ran really well and so far have had 500 miles out of this tank with loads left still to go, the plan over the next few weeks is to start running it on 50/50 veggie oil to help save running costs.

Name:	rsz_bringing_my_van_home_from_edinbourgh_091011_9 (1).jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	257183

Having had the chance this week to get used to it and decide my plan of action, the first things on my to do list are to go around and sort out the rust. There really isnt much at all on the actual bodywork as its only a bit on the windscreen and one one wheel arch, but as you can see... there is a fair bit on the roof where I think some racking has scratched it. I have seen my bodyshop guy who has done loads of other bits for me in the past, and he is going to go around the van curing all the rust and respraying over it, including most of the roof, as well as fitting in some bonded tinted windows for me.

Name:	rsz_bringing_my_van_home_from_edinbourgh_091011_12.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	257184

In the mean time, I have stripped out the ply wood interior that was on the drivers side, although will be keeping the largest board to retrim and use when I get around to insulating and carpeting at a later stage.

Name:	rsz_work_on_van1_1.jpg
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	257185

Comment

09/09/11

Well, a quick update on the progress of the still to be named van... After posting up here on the site, I managed to persude Webbs out of a set of Audi A3 alloy wheels which I will be putting on at the begining of the summer. Mainly so that I can run whats left of the tread on my steels wheels out and keep the new wheels looking shiny for the shows etc. When I went to pick them up, not only did I find a true T4 fantatic who I could learn a lot from, but she also helped me out by giving me a cabinate that will fit in nicely with the look I am trying to achive with the day van style interior. When I start working on the insides which will hopefully be in a few weeks time, I will sand it down and do a bit of extra work to it.

Name:	rsz_new_alloy_wheels_061111_1.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	257186

Also, the van went in this week to have the rust sorted out on the wheelarch/roof and also to have my limo tint windows in. However, I got a call today asking me to pop over and see it as the guy who runs the bodyshop (friend of mine) wasnt happy with the idea of just glueing the skins of the wall/door together so he is welding it to give it a really solid fixing point. Its worrying to see my van cut up but I know its in really good hands!

Name:	rsz_windows_installed_091111_1.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	257187

Name:	rsz_windows_installed_091111.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	257188

I will give you all a further update on it when I get it back and start working on the interior....

Comment

26/11/11

Well, my van was away for two weeks having the rust sorted and the windows put in, its gone from being a very good condition to immaculate!! I'm really pleased with it and have a good base for the rest of the build....

Name:	rsz_windows_instlled_211111_1.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	257189

Name:	rsz_windows_instlled_211111_2.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	257190

After I got the van back I gave it a bit of a wash and realised that at some point I want to attack it with a decent quality wax... I also went down to B&Q and picked up most of what I need for the insulation. I just need to find some Celotex and will get to work on the interior....

Comment

09/12/11

Ok, so a bit of an update... Over the last week or so, I have waxoyled and insulated the doors...

Name:	rsz_insulation_part_1_271111_3.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	257191

Name:	rsz_insulation_part_1_271111.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	257192

and spent the last couple of days doing the same to the drivers side of the van...

Name:	rsz_insulation_part_2_712_3.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	257193

Name:	rsz_insulation_part_2_712_4.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	257194

I thought everything was going really well, as you can see from the last photo it was starting to look warm and snug in there! - The only problem was that when I went to refit my ply panels... they wouldn't fit in my enthusiasm I have used too much and need to spend some time carefully taking the foil back down and taking a bit out so I can make them fit.

Comment

12/01/12

Well, because of Christmas and suffering from the bad combination of lack of time and money things slowed down to a bit of a snails pace, but since my last post, I have put on a new power steering belt and set of glow plugs so she now starts and turns eagerly. In the rare moments I have had time, I have finished insulating it and can honestly say its much quieter to drive!

The good news is that as I didnt have much time off work last year, I have a few weeks off coming up where I have nothing planned... which means extra time to spend on the van! So soon I am hoping you will see the ply lining go in as well as the van being carpeted throughout both the load area and cab. Its 16 weeks until I have a charity drive down to italy using the van, so I think im going to be going as fast as my budget can go! - If you would like to read any more about my charity trip, or to enter the raffle where you could win £100 worth of car cleaning products, feel free to visit www.roguerun.co.uk or read the entertaining blog created by all the people taking part at http://roguerun.blogspot.com

Comment

Well, so far so bad.... im off work this week and done a couple of bits, I have managed to get the ply line floor up from the van. This was meant to be a quick job, but as the bolts and stuck and were hidden on one side under the exhast, it turned into a fairly long job!!

This is how it looked once I got it up, and since this photo was taken I brushed it all out and washed it down.

Name:	rsz_insulation_part_3_30112.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	257195

I am just waiting for my new ply lining kit t arrive but unfortunately its been held up by inept couriers, so already lost just over a days worth of time waiting for it to arrive.

The order has also gone in to megavan mats for some mega stretchy carpet.... my aim is to (hopefully!) get this at least partially installed by the end of the week.

Comment

01/02/12

Well, the ply lining kit arrived today as promised, it looks like a good kit and so far has gone in with few problems (the only one being that the ply on the slide door seems to be rubbing the exterior of the van when opening). Im looking forward to getting it all carpeted and then attempting a final fit.

Steven from Westcountry Campervans has been really helpful during this and I would be happy to recommend him!

Comment

Got a little bit more work done to the van today, got most of the ply lining in for its test fit while I waited for the carpet to arrive, most of it seems fine except for a couple of kinks that I clearly need to iron out.

The photos are a little dark as were taken just as the sun was going down...

Name:	rsz_insulation_part_3_0202_2.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	257196

The ply on the side door seems to be rubbing the exterior paintwork slightly, and considering the carpet still has yet to go on, im thinking this could get worse...

Name:	rsz_insulation_part_3_0202_3.jpg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	257197

This panel doesnt even seem to want to go on... the metal seems to be breaking all my drill bits!

Name:	rsz_insulation_part_3_0202_4.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	257198

Comment

05/02/12

Well, the snow would have beaten most people... but being a bit pig headed I carried on as if its a normal day, so I went outside to find the van looking like this...

Name:	rsz_insulation_part_4_0502_1.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	257201

So with my other half Kelly, I devised a (hopefully) cunning plan to sort out that panel under the window thats giving me problems by securing it at the bottom with industrial velcro. Thus bypassing the problem of screwing it into the wall and breaking all my drill bits! but we decided that this would be best done after the vans been carpeted. So I took of the barn door panels and one of my side walls to set aboout carpeting. After a few hours work we got it to look like this...

Name:	rsz_insulation_part_4_0502_2.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	257202

and finally I got it fitted in, so far im pleased with the results....

Name:	rsz_insulation_part_4_0502_7.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	257203

Comment

10/02/12

Well thats the panels all ply lined now, with the panel under my window fitted in... my only problem is that on that side I cant get the rear panel to fit totally flush (or at least, as flush as I would like it!) so my need to find a way of redrilling it to get a tight fit.

Name:	rsz_insulation_part_4_0902_4.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	257204

Name:	rsz_insulation_part_4_0902_3.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	257205

Next up... Carpet the metalwork, fit my CB, get some new springs and lower it on to my shiney alloys!!

Comment

05/03/12

Well, since my last update... fixed the rubbing side door, installed my CB and fitted my alloy wheels (at last!!), pics soon to follow..

Comment

07/03/12

As promised, here are the photographs of what I have done this week. Just need to carpet the metalwork now and it will be nice and snug inside!!

Name:	Insulationpart406033.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	257209

New alloys, I cant get over how good they look and how they have transformed the van!

Name:	van070312.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	257210

Comment

26/04/12

Just a minor update as things here have been so hectic recently... Since my last update, I have tinted the rear windows, tidied up some of the carpet in the back and generally smartened up the inside of the van and fitted a CB in time for my charity event next month, and the whip ariel on the roof looks awesome!!

We took the van away on our first trip as well.... we had a four day weekend in Scotland covering 1400 miles in four days you could say long distance doesnt phase us.....

Name:	DSC01786.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	257211

The views were stunning!

Name:	DSC01770.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	257212

T4 Ted took in the scenary....

Name:	DSC01724.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	257213

And even made a new friend!

Name:	DSC01771.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	257214

Comment

29/06/12

Seems to have been a while since my last update on what I have been getting up to with the van... Again, no work has taken place for a while because the van has been too busy touring about to be tinkered with! Mid May we went away on the charity event called RogueRun that covered 2000 miles around europe which we had spent many months organising, we ended up raising well over £1000 and plan on doing it again next year! Below are just some of the photos from the trip, if you would like to see more or read about what we did feel free to visit our shiney new website www.roguerun.co.uk

Name:	day31.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	257215

Name:	IMG_2852.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	257216

Name:	IMG_2746.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	257217

We did a big part of the trip on veggie oil, I filled the tank before we left and made it most of the way around just topping up!

Name:	DSC01877.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	257218

Name:	IMG_2774.jpg
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	257219

Some of the cars that took part...

Name:	day324.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	257220

Name:	DSC01966.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	257221

Name:	IMG_4423.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	257222

This week I spoke to Jonathan at Air-liftUK and sorted me out with a fantatic deal on some Eibach springs to drop it a little lower to ground zero, im not looking to slam it to the floor... just not have such a harsh monster truck ride!!

Comment

Working...
                              X