Timmy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S49 View Post
    Did you draw a map of how it was, its so easy to go over or under the wrong pulley. Been there many times I always draw a map now.
    Took loads of photos. It's defo feeding round the right way - or at least the same way as before!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

I've sometimes had motors where the belt listed is too long or too short. get a couple a choices from the factors on sale or return as odd balls do sometimes get thrown up.

Comment

Sussed it. The outer edge of the water pump on the AJA was flat, whereas the one on the AAB sticks out. The tensioner fouls this before it's far enough in for the belt to route through.

I guess my two options are:

- change the water pump to a flat type, so the tensioner can move in past the front of it, into the required position
        - get a longer belt, although there's not much scope for error and I'm thinking that if the tensioner has a progressive spring, will it be tight enough with it not pulled in as far as usual?

Thoughts would be appreciated....

Comment

Shouldn't the water pump be covered by the cambelt cover? Don't look much room for it. A pain but the other waterpump will put it all as it should be with no head scratching over which belt. I don't like not having a cambelt cover as a stray stone could cause allsorts of trouble.

Comment

I don't like not having a cambelt cover as a stray stone could cause allsorts of trouble.
            Me neither! Will be sorting something out.

Comment

Made good headway with other things this though.

The new engine had a bodged glow plug harness (a long, copper strip with insulation tape wrapped round all the places that didn't have bolts through) and there was nothing on that to attach it to the loom. There was nowt wrong with my original one, so took that off the old block and put it on my new one.

Proper fiddly little bugger! Can see why people take 5hrs to change their glow plugs now anyway... fortunately i have a decent selection of spanners and it's obviously much easier with the front end off. The plugs in the new block were still shiny and fresh, so have assumed they'll still be good and not changed them.

Switched the leak off pipes over. My old ones were only a few months old and have no idea about the others. Routing is much better now too as it was all over the place before.

Also changed the metal coolant pipe over. The one on the new engine had been patched and was corroded quite badly in general. Realised whilst doing this that there's a drain plug on it... could have saved myself a load of hassle draining the system had I known this beforehand lol. Hopefully at least one person reading this can learn from my oversight!

Sorting the glow plug loom also got me thinking about other connections. A quick check confirmed that half of the sensors were also different - at least in terms of how they connect. Have switched over my old ones... I know they all work and will plug into the loom now.

Almost everything so far has been interchangeable too, which has been a great relief.

Comment

Oh, also bolted the driveshafts back on. I'd done the CV boots while the engine bay was empty. Much easier to pull them then... but what a horrible job. Possibly the worst way I've ever spent a couple of hours. Easy enough - just gammy.

Not torqued them up yet though - so this post serves as a reminder to do so! Need a mate to stand on the brake for me while I do it...

Comment

Another thing I'm unsure of...

The rocker cover breather UFO. On my old AJA this fed back into the intake manifold on a short pipe. This has a much longer pipe attached but I can't see where it's supposed to go.

Could anyone else with a turbo'd 2.4 tell me where this ends up please?

Comment

Originally posted by 7or8 View Post
                    Another thing I'm unsure of...

The rocker cover breather UFO. On my old AJA this fed back into the intake manifold on a short pipe. This has a much longer pipe attached but I can't see where it's supposed to go.

Could anyone else with a turbo'd 2.4 tell me where this ends up please?

Mine runs into a separate oil catch can. It no longer feeds back into either the intake or the turbo inlet pipe.

However, If I remember correctly... if your using parts from a 2.5, then the hose that goes from the airfilter to the turbo should have a hole in it. Then you can buy the 2.5 hose, that goes from the oil pressure release vale (the UFO Thing), back to the inlet hose (the one that connects between the air filter to the turbo), and this will route the oil vapour etc, into there.

I hope this makes sense.

Frenchy

Comment

It certainly does! Nice one, dude.

Have a big cone filter I was going to use, so unsure if the standard 2.5 inlet pipe will work with that. Will have a Google and see where it goes

Comment

Anyone got any tips on how to put the exhaust clamps back on?

Tried swearing at it a lot but that doesn't appear to be working....

Comment

Originally posted by 7or8 View Post
                          Anyone got any tips on how to put the exhaust clamps back on?

Tried swearing at it a lot but that doesn't appear to be working....

Make a steel wedge... pic to follow...

[emoji41]

Comment

That's it and it works.

Comment

That's it and it works.
                              Got my mate on the case to make a couple... handy knowing a sheet metal worker!

Comment

Couple of issues with the routing of various pipes / cables.

The coolant pipe running from the left hand end of of the cylinder head - this had a couple of standoff brackets from the inlet manifold to run it along the top of the rocker cover but without touching it. No such mounting points on the acv inlet. Similar for the loom the ran through the U part of the AAB/AJA inlet.

After reading through half a dozen lengthy 2.4 turbo conversion threads, it seems that people just leave the coolant pipe to flop about and don't seem too concerned about it touching the rocker cover. I was a bit worried that it may be too hot for it if it was touching, so might re-use the standoff brackets and attach the to the bottom two mounting bolts for the elbow going into the inlet. Should keep it away from the hottest parts.

For the loom, I think I'm just gonna zip tie it up to the bulkhead or scuttle panel out of the way. There seems to be enough length on it to run the extra distance.

Comment

Working...
                                X