Suspension..there, I've said it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 888_special View Post
    Yes my van sits similar to your first photo. Can't see any gap!

Sent from my E6633 using Just T4s
    what,at your bumpstop or your arches?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles02 View Post
      what,at your bumpstop or your arches?
      Arches. Not had chance to check bumpstops yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        Sure can. Might be enough to level it all up. Are both currently fitted?
        Not sure. I've had the lergie 2 days and not been out the house. Going to have a look at weekend

Comment

Look forward to your findings.Get some photos up if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles02 View Post
            Look forward to your findings.Get some photos up if you can.
            Will do [emoji106]

Comment

Surely for that to be relevant comparison you need to think about wheel diameter & tire depth too?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Just T4s
              Last edited by Tinc; 5 February 2019, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1099.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	266388 That's ours on 50mm lowered springs and the front adjusted with the patent Si Spanner deep 27mm socket. IT suits our rural roads in the Shire. Have some adjustable "coil overs" from my good friend Andreas which I will play with in the summer.

Comment

....& our Gracie on -40mm springs, or so I was told....

Comment

I'm finding this all quite educational......

Since our little spring issue I have been looking into all things bounce as I've never been happy with Gracie's ride.
                    My findings on Gracie so far are:
                    After market green springs -40mm
                    (NSR spring broken)
                    Neither top or bottom rubber spring seats fitted - 25mm
                    We have 18" rims with 40mm tires fitted -5mm from standard

So that's an accumulated -70mm with a full camper/rock 'n' roll/pop top.

That's my explanation for the apparent arch gap difference between Si's -50mm srpings & our -40mm springs.
                    It also highlights the fact that IMHO comparing piccies of vans is fun, but not too helpful unless you compare all of the other variables too.
                    What the photos are really good for is showing the look achievable, so you can set your desired target & then sort out the ride.

I like the height Gracie sits at (although level will be an improvement), but she doesn't like bumps AT ALL!
                    Front bangs over everything but matchsticks & the rear just, sort of donks.......
                    She's also pretty bouncy over ripples, so we have shock issues too.

So I'm now trying to arrive at a known point before working back to what I want, but with a sensible ride.
                    I intend to fit Bilstein B6's & probably -40mm Vogtland springs.
                    I also intend to add a poly top seat & fabricate a 10mm thick lower seat.
                    The overall effect of that should be to raise the rear by 10mm from it's current position.

So, after all that waffle I look forward to watching you go through the same process with your van.
                    I also invite plenty more education ladies & gents - this is all fascinating stuff.

One question I have right now - what's the advantage of the little shocks over the longer ones?
                    Presume it's not just that they're really cute......

Comment

Unsure if this is related Tinc... but a mate is just in the process of swapping his Bilstein B6 shocks for Sachs HD because his rear springs keep unseating , which we think was down to the shocks length. It's resulted in a number of broken springs. Think he was at -50mm but not 100% sure of spring manufacturer.

Comment

That is interesting.... the Sachs are very much the other option once I sort my starting point.

I want opinions on everything!

Comment

I’ve got Sachs HD’s fitted and found them really good [emoji106] and that’s running 5”” springs at the rear aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Had to put check straps on mine to stop the springs unseating

Sent from the Midlands by pigeon

Comment

Originally posted by Tinc View Post
                              We have 18" rims with 40mm tires fitted -5mm from standard
                              This.

I assume you mean 40 profile - not 40mm tyres.

Ride will be harsh on 40 profile tyres - which is why the ride is harsh on most vans with 18s - because of the tyre profile that people tend to run with 18s.

Top and bottom ball joints ok?

Fit Sachs HD shocks all round - unless you plan to go low.

Comment

Ive been looking at new tyres and playing with increasing the sidewall and comfort!

OEM : 205/65 x 15 = 133mm sidewall, standard OEM tyre size. 2034mm circumference / 791 revs per mile.
                                A8 : 235/35 x 19 = 82mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 60 km/h / 2033mm / 792 revs per mile.

The below sizes stay within 5% of the original circumference. Its a ball ache working through the options so I posted what I'd done to date.
                                Check your rim width to make sure you're happy they fit and shaped to your liking!

205/45 x 18 = 92mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 59.5 km/h. 798 revs per mile.
                                205/50 x 18 = 103mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 61.4 km/h. 774 revs per mile.
                                215/45 x 18 = 97mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 60.3 km/h. 787 revs per mile.
                                215/50 x 18 = 108mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 62.3 km/h. 762 revs per mile.
                                225/45 x 18 = 101mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 61.1 km/h. 777 revs per mile.
                                225/50 x 18 = 113mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 63.2 km/h. 751 revs per mile +5%
                                235/35 x 18 = 82mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 57.6 km/h. 824 revs per mile.-4%
                                235/40 x 18 = 94mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 59.8 km/h. 794 revs per mile.
                                235/45 x 18 = 106mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 62.0 km/h. 766 revs per mile.
                                235/45 x 18 = 106mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 62.0 km/h. 766 revs per mile.
                                245/35 x 18 = 86mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 58.3 km/h. 815 revs per mile.
                                245/40 x 18 = 98mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 60.5 km/h. 784 revs per mile.
                                245/45 x 18 = 110mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 62.8 km/h. 756 revs per mile.
                                255/40 x 18 = 102mm sidewall, When speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 61.3 km/h. 775 revs per mile.

Wheel & Tyre Size Calc
                                Last edited by Activ8; 6 February 2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X