No announcement yet.

Suspension..there, I've said it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was sorted this week (pics today) 245/45 x 17's with Sachs HD and -60mm Vogtlands. Van is empty.

Comment

This is the gap you need to be looking for.Just full locked the steering and photo taken behind wheels.That simple to find out if the gap between swing arm and bumpstop is to small.Click image for larger version

Name:	FE5A7FB5-001C-44D9-9E10-E383AD94A14C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	266390

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        This.

I assume you mean 40 profile - not 40mm tyres.

Ride will be harsh on 40 profile tyres - which is why the ride is harsh on most vans with 18s - because of the tyre profile that people tend to run with 18s.

Top and bottom ball joints ok?

Fit Sachs HD shocks all round - unless you plan to go low.
        Yes sir, Mr Cheeseman sir.
        I did indeed mean 40 profile.

I do consider this is part of my issue - no sidewall movement & high pressures.

However, smaller rims make the issue more complicated as I have to go lower to maintain the arch gap.
        We do need to consider wheels at some point, due to a lack or roundness.
        But I need to start somewhere!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Just T4s

Comment

Why do you need to go lower with smaller wheels? The sidewall will be deeper to maintain the same rolling radius so rim size will be irrelevant [emoji848]

Sent from the Midlands by pigeon

Comment

Mines on 17s with 50 profiles

Comment

Originally posted by rjhoy02 View Post
              Why do you need to go lower with smaller wheels? The sidewall will be deeper to maintain the same rolling radius so rim size will be irrelevant [emoji848]

Fair point, well made.
              Sort of obvious too.

It would be just like me to get smaller rims fit 45's & have the same ride, but closer to the ground.

Must remember: think, pause, type....[emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Tinc View Post
                Fair point, well made.
                Sort of obvious too.

It would be just like me to get smaller rims fit 45's & have the same ride, but closer to the ground.

Must remember: think, pause, type....[emoji23]

I need to get some replacement wheels, the offset is too shallow on these and on big dips or wallows the tyres foul the arches. When I've done that I can trim the bumpstops down.

Comment

I need to get some replacement wheels, the offset is too shallow on these and on big dips or wallows the tyres foul the arches. When I've done that I can trim the bumpstops down.

Our wheels seem to fit ok, but when they were off for a tyre change the fella called me over to show me how buckled (is that the right term) the inner face was.
                  He was astonished it balanced up ok.

As a man of very little brain I wonder if this is another symptom of our ride issues?
                  Just can't help thinking the lowering was all done without sufficient thought.

But the perhaps it was fine to start with, but she's lost seats etc.. along the way & things have deteriorated to this point.

Then again, perhaps it would be better if I stopped thinking & typing, went out outside to put it back together [emoji848]

Comment

Get the wheel centre faces turned down Roy to give you more tuck inside the arch - if you like the rim/tyre combo. There's normally 5mm 'ish safely.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles02 View Post
                      This is the gap you need to be looking for.Just full locked the steering and photo taken behind wheels.That simple to find out if the gap between swing arm and bumpstop is to small.[ATTACH=CONFIG]11324[/ATTACH]
                      Is that photo from going in from the front on full lock (scuse my ignorance) . Not a clue with this. I've always had motorbikes and not been into 4 wheels until the T4. So much easier with bikes!

Sent from my E6633 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by 888_special View Post
                        Is that photo from going in from the front on full lock (scuse my ignorance) . Not a clue with this. I've always had motorbikes and not been into 4 wheels until the T4. So much easier with bikes!

turn wheels full lock either way doesn’t matter and just look in from the rear.as the back of the wheel sticks out.You’ll see what’s in the photo but my bet.looking at the photo of your van on the spraying at home thread you won’t have any gap.Get a photo of what it looks like mate and we’ll go from there

Comment

Post deleted...
                          Last edited by Tinc; 6 February 2019, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                            Get the wheel centre faces turned down Roy to give you more tuck inside the arch - if you like the rim/tyre combo. There's normally 5mm 'ish safely.
                            Got any contacts for this rob?

Comment

Got any contacts for this rob?

Yes Roy. I'll need to have a chat with them as it's been favours previously. It's a machine shop for the railway industry.

Comment

Here's a photo. Managed to get one this morning Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0029.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	266392

Comment

Working...
                                X