No announcement yet.

Flash Gordon is alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is good work that. Keeping the barn doors? Did you know that with barn doors you can load the cargo bay with a..................nevermind i'll get me coat.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
      Is good work that. Keeping the barn doors? Did you know that with barn doors you can load the cargo bay with a..................nevermind i'll get me coat.
      Yeah haha, definitely keeping the barn doors.

Put another few hours on the van this weekend with the decent weather.

Both sides were mainly ok, but definitely needing attention.

Lots of grinding, welding and painting needed to get the rear bumper supports up to scratch.

But happy with the result now! Electrox went on a dream again.

Getting there slowly.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

Is that that Bilt Hamber stuff?

Comment

Is that that Bilt Hamber stuff?
          That's the stuff

Comment

Note to self, when you're welding under the van, make sure theres nothing inside that will melt into a horrible pile of goo.

On an unrelated note, anyone selling an angle grinder handle?

Comment

The Volvo garage I worked at went up in flames, then little family run garage I worked at burnt down. Note i'd left 5 years before. They were having bate and a Metro they had welding went up.Worst thing for the garage but best thing for the Metro.

Comment

The Volvo garage I worked at went up in flames, then little family run garage I worked at burnt down. Note i'd left 5 years before. They were having bate and a Metro they had welding went up.Worst thing for the garage but best thing for the Metro.
                Haha! Yeah, I'm really starting to appreciate how much heat is generated by welding!

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
                  On an unrelated note, anyone selling an angle grinder handle?
                  Never use them, probably got a spare one you can have.

Comment

So after all the shitty weather and festivities (and a horrible cold) I've finally got out to do some work on the van. Didn't fancy the same old routine of grinding, cutting, welding, painting, repeat.

So I decided to get some quick wins in. Really glad I did and feeling ready to tackle the rest of the van.

First on the list was the headlight upgrade. Bought it cheaper from travelinlite in one of their sales. Looks really good quality with decent cabling, relays, Osram nightbreakers, 5 fuses, cable ties and instructions included - all for Ā£40.

Anyway, here's the pic of side lights before the upgrade:

Barely there. But I think the upgrade now means I don't have "side lights" - which I'm fine with. (correct me if I'm wrong please)

And here are the dipped beams before the upgrade.

I then measured the voltages at the lights before the upgrade. I let the van warm up to temp fully, battery fully charged. On the off side I read 12.64V dipped, 12.35V Full beam. On the near side I read 11.26V dipped, 12.2V full beam.

I thought they seemed OK voltages, but you can see the imbalance between headlights. Not ideal.

So I started by changing the bulbs, original bulbs looked fine so they have gone in the old osram box as spares! But pretty sure the covers on the back of the headlights aren't supposed to look this Heath Robinson? I'll buy some more I think. Did notice some condensation on the insides of my headlights.

Then fitted the new headlight loom, easy peasy. What a difference it makes! Here's the before and after for dipped beam:

And here's full beam!!

Love it. Can't wait to try it out on the roads.

Measuring the voltages after the upgrade, on the off side I had 13.67V dipped and 13.6V full beam. On the near side I had 13.8V dipped and 13.78V full beam. Great improvement!

I stuck to the electrical quick win theme and decided to install my USB charger in the dash.

Thank you so much to my secret santa! The solder free quick heat shrink connector things were brilliant!!

Used a dead cable that a previous owner had run from the facia to the battery. I reterminated using the proper cable. Worked great.

So now I've got my 2 port USB 3.0 quick charge port installed. Fused straight to the battery. Great voltage reading direct from the battery itself compared to my radio unit. Nearly a volts difference!

And while I was there (pic with the old headlights still) I installed my new pollen filter cover. Little things make a difference.

Weather's good tomorrow.... So more grinding, welding and painting.

Last edited by Jumbungla; 30 December 2019, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Good job mate ,as all ways. My radio looks the same, didn't know it shows the voltage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

if you disconnect the dim dip resistor you'll have side lights.

Comment

Sometimes you need those small but rewarding jobs to get the mojo back

Comment

Totally!!
                            My mate has a (sorry about this) t5 and is having work done by voodoo campers and is being messed about a load by them. His thoughts at the moment are once returned sell...
                            I have said don't decide until you have it back and have done a few fun jobs. And maybe used it a few times.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

What are they doing to mess him about? Should others be avoiding them?
                              Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                                What are they doing to mess him about? Should others be avoiding them?
                                They have had his van for bear on 2 months to fit units and a rnr bed and it hasn't been touched yet!
                                The owner chris has apparently had a few family related issues but to have not touched it at all and to have kept hold of both van and cash is not good.
                                The work they do is top notch and apart from none contact (people unable to contact them for work to be done and updates) I have only heard good things.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                                X