No announcement yet.

Flash Gordon is alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a productive last couple of days. Changing the rear discs, pads, guard thingy. And all shocks all round.

Wanted to do the front discs and pads as well but autodoc sent me the wrong ones, too deep and don't fit.

Photos below show before and after. So much better now.

The 4th pic shows the new rear guard thing.... And the little pile of rubble next to it is the old one [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] ridiculous haha.

3 of the 4 shocks I removed were completely bust and wouldn't extend once compressed. No wonder the ride in my van felt so bad.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
      Had a productive last couple of days. Changing the rear discs, pads, guard thingy. And all shocks all round.

Wanted to do the front discs and pads as well but autodoc sent me the wrong ones, too deep and don't fit.

Photos below show before and after. So much better now.

The 4th pic shows the new rear guard thing.... And the little pile of rubble next to it is the old one [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] ridiculous haha.

3 of the 4 shocks I removed were completely bust and wouldn't extend once compressed. No wonder the ride in my van felt so bad.

After removing my rear wheels trying to find an annoying noise, I am now considering giving brakes and shocks a revamp. Was it hard to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by chally69 View Post
        After removing my rear wheels trying to find an annoying noise, I am now considering giving brakes and shocks a revamp. Was it hard to do?

Shocks - dead easy. Half hour per wheel I reckon.

Brakes easy enough, but huge pain in the arse to get the caliper carrier bolts loose. Lots of plus gas, heat gun and 6ft scaf pole on the end of my breaker bar.

Also, some of my bolts had previously been mangled, so had to grind them down to the next size socket down.

Other than that, dead easy really, would recommend it as a DIY job.

Comment

What make shocks did you go for?

Comment

Went for the Meyle ones on VWheritage - got them on black friday for £110 for the 4. Only just got round to fitting them haha

Comment

Active8 did my cluster a while back he's a top man

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

Haven't posted on this in a while! Still can't insert photos into the text on the app.... They have to go at the end now? Weird. Does anyone know a workaround?

Anyway, I've put a window in! First lot of pics. Makes such a huge difference to the drive and when sitting on the bed in the van. Got the window to put into the other side as well. So thats next on my list.

Wasn't too bad fitting the window really. Just a pain in the arse getting the old bonding out between the skin layers.

Changed my voltage regulator on my Valeo alternator as well. Lots of people have said that you cant change the reg on a valeo alternator... But you definitely can. See pics below.

I also found another issue when investigating my gearbox oil leak... (see last picture) the starter motor was only mounted on one bolt!!! One had disappeared, another other was about to fall out, but luckily one was still solidly in place.

I think these loose bolts all stem from my previously shaky ride, which turned out to be the rear tyres filled with puncture repair goop. Think I'll have to check a lot of the bolt torques when I can get to them....who knows what's loose now?

Comment

That window looks good mate lovely job [emoji106]
                  Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
                  Haven't posted on this in a while! Still can't insert photos into the text on the app.... They have to go at the end now? Weird. Does anyone know a workaround?

Anyway, I've put a window in! First lot of pics. Makes such a huge difference to the drive and when sitting on the bed in the van. Got the window to put into the other side as well. So thats next on my list.

Wasn't too bad fitting the window really. Just a pain in the arse getting the old bonding out between the skin layers.

Changed my voltage regulator on my Valeo alternator as well. Lots of people have said that you cant change the reg on a valeo alternator... But you definitely can. See pics below.

I also found another issue when investigating my gearbox oil leak... (see last picture) the starter motor was only mounted on one bolt!!! One had disappeared, another other was about to fall out, but luckily one was still solidly in place.

I think these loose bolts all stem from my previously shaky ride, which turned out to be the rear tyres filled with puncture repair goop. Think I'll have to check a lot of the bolt torques when I can get to them....who knows what's loose now?

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Just T4s

Comment

Nice work on the alternator , I’m glad to see the cat was keeping a watchful eye on your progress

Comment

So I've got the first casualty of my week of fun - starter solenoid plastic cracked and exploded trying to remove the cable connection.

Have removed it, don't think it's repairable.

Struggling to find a replacement online?

This is the only number stamped on the starter - 1 005 821 785

Oemepc doesn't really help.

Found this on eBay - thoughts?

Cheers guys, absolutely have to have this running by Monday next week!

Comment

Gone for this one. It lists t4 1.9 so hopefully it will fit!

If not, looks like I might have to get a complete starter by Saturday! Haha

Comment

It should fit. They are the same fitment

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                            It should fit. They are the same fitment

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s
                            Cheers Hans. Yeah it turned up and fits nicely!

Comment

Today - gearbox out, new clutch and input shaft seal, cleaned up oily mess in bell housing, gearbox back in. Much better progress than I expected.

Nice high clearance on the axle stands.

This worked well for the drive shaft bolts.

Engine crane in position.

Chains on the gearbox, starter motor off.

Dirty bell housing.

Engine and box lowered.

Horrible oily mess in the bell housing. Think that's defo where the leak was.

Old clutch, very oily. Don't know how it wasn't slipping while driving??

Old flywheel for Rob, oily, but no scores or scratches at all on the friction face. [emoji106]

Bell housing before and after cleaning.

New crankshaft rear oil seal.

New 228mm flywheel, shiny!

New clutch on.

Gearbox back on.

Tomorrow I've got the small job of getting the engine remounted and plumbed in....

Then it's pressing the new wishbone bushes in. I've read that can be a bit tricky??

Nice to have some good progress though.... Feeling happy [emoji16]

Comment

Top job[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                                X