No announcement yet.

Flash Gordon is alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds like a good idea! Will get some clear coat to put over it.

Ah I just sprayed mine outside (in the snow haha) then bought them in to dry.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
      That sounds like a good idea! Will get some clear coat to put over it.

Ah I just sprayed mine outside (in the snow haha) then bought them in to dry.

My shed is too wet for me to do any work at this time of year, well it is Swansea after all [emoji23] Good Luck with sealing, reckon it will be a proper job [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

T4ism is not a Dis-ease Just T4s

Comment

I was tempted to go down that route Frenchy, but a lot of people said the smell can be pretty horrible? Also can move if it gets hot? Ah well, I've gone and put it in now haha.

Mines a 1.9td. Didn't check the bearings or anything. Maybe I should have done haha. How easy is it to do? What do you do to check the bearings?

It's an etch build primer I got from the local automotive paint shop. Says its good for plastic and metal. The primer on the plastic seems solid. Tried scratching it and nothings coming off.

Thanks for the reply. Checking the bearings is really just a case of pushing them with your fingers to check for play...you could take them apart, but that's just too big a job. It's usually just a push around with your fingers too check play. Not to worry.

Si knows what im like, as I have a bit of a paranoia about my bottom end...can't really explain it, and have had it listened to by Si, Rob, and a garage...all say there's nothing wrong...I know there right, but I just can't help myself, and almost need a reason to take my engine out and strip it etc...oh well, one day. Lol

That primer looks spot on. Says it's good for plastic too, so good stuff. I'd go with a clear coat over the primer. That would look good I reckon.

As for the flash band, I had the same concerns. Seems ok so far, but never really tested it in the heat. So your option is probably better.

Thanks again for the updates.

Frenchy.

Comment

So, while I've been fiddling about trying to get the other problems on the van fixed (oil light and buzzer, central locking, wheel wobbles etc) I decided I also needed to make it look a bit better.

So while I had the door cards off for fitting the central locking and electric windows i decided to give them a spray.

I'm really pleased with the finished effect and the colour coded handles. Going to stick with a similar theme for the dash etc.

Next up...

Fit window in the side.

Thermal insulation.

Cover panels and put back.

Sort welding on the floor.

Put new ply floor down.

Get the bed in.

Comment

Looking good mate

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

This is the white version of the etch primer I used. I told them in the shop what I wanted to do and they recommended this. Says good for "most recoatable plastics" on the back.

You have found the holy grail of paints, Etch primer, Plastic primer and high build all in one can!

I always thought those three things were mutually exclusive, why have I been buying three different primers for all these years.

Actually, I buy five different primers, dunno why they didn't add 'weld through primer' and 'epoxy mastic primer' to that list on the can.

It does look good though, be intrigued to see how well it survives.

What did you paint the interior door handles with?

Comment

Looking good there mate!! Van looks AA yellow on the inside! Did my handles yellow with platikote super. The stuff goes off pretty hard!

Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                  You have found the holy grail of paints, Etch primer, Plastic primer and high build all in one can!

I always thought those three things were mutually exclusive, why have I been buying three different primers for all these years.

Actually, I buy five different primers, dunno why they didn't add 'weld through primer' and 'epoxy mastic primer' to that list on the can.

It does look good though, be intrigued to see how well it survives.

What did you paint the interior door handles with?
                  Haha, I was a bit skeptical. But it built nicely on spraying, and i tried scratching a bit off and it seemed to have bonded to the plastic very well!

The handles were a few layers of this white high-build-etch-super-primer, flatted back and then a couple of coats of paint that the shop coded from the side of the van with their scanning machine.

Colour matched paint wasn't too bad at about £5 a can. But the etch primer wasn't cheap at about £12 a can. Still, 1 can did two coats on 1 door card - so £24 for a decent finish matt black on both doors doesnt sound too bad.

Comment

Looks great [emoji106]

Starting to give me ideas for my cards now [emoji848]

Comment

So, from my other oil pressure issue thread I ended up finding out that my coolant system wasn't pressurising.

Turns out that there was no pressure release valve in the cap! (black bit in the picture below) so the overflow was always open to the coolant in the expansion tank.

New tank, new cap, a few coolant flushes and the coolant system is good as new!

It seems to be a lot quieter and drives nicer now the coolant system is pressurised.... Weird.

Is there any mechanical reason for this? Maybe now the water pump has pressure to push against?

Comment

Finally have another weekend to work on the van, so got down to it today.

Me and the Mrs have been foil taping the inside of the van in the evenings.

Working hard!

Got the rest of the sound deadening in on the ceiling too. Much better sound wise!

Not quite finished the foil lining yet, but started getting the insulation in. Nice and easy cutting the celotex with a bread knife as others have recommended.

Had a helper too...

Then foil taped around the edge for the vapor barrier.

Then did an oil change, upgrade from Halfords 10w-40, to Mobil1 0w-40. Hopefully runs a bit better considering my low oil pressure issue.

Here's the pressure on cold start.

~2.4 bar.

Drops down to about 0.8 bar once warm.

Once I get my new cluster back from Activ I'll put it in and see what the pressure is at 2000 rpm. If its OK, I think I'll put my 1.4bar oil pressure sensor back in.

Also wound up the torsion bars a bit to give an extra 10mm height on the front suspension. Rides much better now, and not hitting the bump stops over tiny bumps.

Also fitted a cigarette lighter so I can charge my phone. Little things...

Tomorrow..... dun dun duuuuuun..... Think I'm going to angle grind a huge hole in the side of the van and try putting my sliding window in!! No going back from that....

Comment

Finally have another weekend to work on the van, so got down to it today.

Me and the Mrs have been foil taping the inside of the van in the evenings.

Working hard!

Got the rest of the sound deadening in on the ceiling too. Much better sound wise!

Not quite finished the foil lining yet, but started getting the insulation in. Nice and easy cutting the celotex with a bread knife as others have recommended.

Had a helper too...

Then foil taped around the edge for the vapor barrier.

Then did an oil change, upgrade from Halfords 10w-40, to Mobil1 0w-40. Hopefully runs a bit better considering my low oil pressure issue.

Here's the pressure on cold start.

~2.4 bar.

Drops down to about 0.8 bar once warm.

Once I get my new cluster back from Activ I'll put it in and see what the pressure is at 2000 rpm. If its OK, I think I'll put my 1.4bar oil pressure sensor back in.

Also wound up the torsion bars a bit to give an extra 10mm height on the front suspension. Rides much better now, and not hitting the bump stops over tiny bumps.

Also fitted a cigarette lighter so I can charge my phone. Little things...

Tomorrow..... dun dun duuuuuun..... Think I'm going to angle grind a huge hole in the side of the van and try putting my sliding window in!! No going back from that....

Awesome Job 🧘🏽*♂️🧘🏽*♂️🧘🏽*♂️

T4ism is not a Dis-ease Just T4s

Comment

I see your van has a cat fitted.

Comment

So I still didn't have the bottle to go through and put my window in today... My rubber seal from the door is in crap condition so I might buy some new stuff.

But, I decided to put my new "blue" instrument cluster in, replacing the old "big clock" version.... My one being even more useless as the clock adjuster knob was snapped off, so the time was always wrong.

Here's the old one in place.

Here's the new one I want to put in.

Cheers to Activ for sorting the mileage out and soft coding the cluster. Great job!

Took the plastic dash work off around the cluster to reveal 22 years worth of dust infused with tobacco scent.

Also uncovered the mess of wiring behind the fuse box.

Here are the two old cluster loom connections (all the white cables - really helpful vw)

Thankfully someone on the other forum had taken the time to trace the white cables out to figure out where they connect on the new cluster loom.

I then took some time working all of the connectors out on the new loom.

Turns out on my loom I didn't need quite a few of the extra connectors outside of the two blue 32 pin block connectors. Only ones I needed where the indicator 2 pin connector and the 1 pin grey and white cable for the k line diagnostic. Apparently this is meant to plug into a "TV14" connection. I couldn't find that so I've left it hanging. But this shouldn't matter as my 1997 was abl doesn't have any diagnostic ability as far as people tell me.

Tested it with the cluster out.

Powered up, but nothing else happened. Turned out I had a few connections I had to splice into the main connector blocks.

Once I did this, retested and hooray!

Everything seems to work. Rev counter is great. Only thing I've noticed is that the hand brake warning light doesn't come on, but that's not a big deal. I think one of the connectors I've not used is probably the hand brake warning. Might look at that later on.

Also, while away with work last week managed to swipe a great bit of box section from a skip which should be good to weld into structurally rusty parts of the van!

Based on the colour and look of the paint on the box section I'm not sure if it could be lead based paint or not. So when I clean it up I'll be sure to have the respirator on.

Last edited by Jumbungla; 6 April 2019, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Lovely job - [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Comment

Working...
                                X