Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02B Gearbox limits - how much power are you running

Chaps,

It's common knowledge that the 02B is rated at 250 nm (nominal or max ) however, who's torturing it with more ? & for how long has it been reliable ?

I'm running 160 bhp / 342 nm from an engine that can easily make 200 bhp & would like to open the tap fully.

The stock DMF is already complaining bitterly so feathering the throttle around 2k revs is required - I understand an SMF will cure this issue (but possibly cause others) but as the 'box can be a pain to remove I've decided to rub my chin for a bit.

How much power are others running ?

If you get it mapped so the higher fuelling and boost pressures are delivered at higher revs (3k+) the OEM clutch (LUK) & O2B gearbox will hold 240 bhp and 500Nm but youll need more cooler & more airflow than OEM. You might also find poor running in the warmer months unless limp mode is mapped out.

DO NOT DISTURB - I am disturbed enough already

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      If you get it mapped so the higher fuelling and boost pressures are delivered at higher revs (3k+) the OEM clutch (LUK) & O2B gearbox will hold 240 bhp and 500Nm but youll need more cooler & more airflow than OEM. You might also find poor running in the warmer months unless limp mode is mapped out.

Mine has been reliable for about 2-3 years but in different guises with different configs. Clutch needs changing this year.

Last edited by Activ8; 16 January 2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

156.7 HP

270 ft lbs (373 Nm)

killed my (already dying) DMF in days.

Fitted a supposedly uprated carbon kevlar plate from Techniclutch with one of their single mass flywheels.

There is some vibration from the flywheel only noticeable at idle and a little noise when coasting at low revs

BUT - It wont take the torque and slips way below what it was rated at.

I complained to Techniclutch but that is a waste of time (Just Google 'Techniclutch problems') - now my boost is turned down until I get plan B up and running.

Plan B is a O2J six speed unit with a larger 240mm clutch setup - Adaptor plate and brackets currently under construction. Then a equal length mani and a 2256 VNT.

Tell us some more specifics about your engine setup, there a few of us on here chasing power, it's good to share info.

DO NOT BUY TECHNICLUTCH
        Last edited by regcheeseman; 16 January 2019, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Plan B is a O2J six speed unit with a larger 240mm clutch setup - Adaptor plate and brackets currently under construction. Then a equal length mani and a 2256 VNT.

Tell us some more specifics about your engine setup, there a few of us on here chasing power, it's good to share info.

DO NOT BUY TECHNICLUTCH
          I've been looking for a 02G EEZ bit thin on the ground, there is one on Ebay.de but it looks a touch risky. 02J 6sp. hmmmm.. very interesting - driveshaft angles ok ?

Originally posted by WHF View Post
          mildly overbored & head polished / flowed /ported. I'm running a modified K14 + UD injectors & an ACV TMIC
          Being an old school petrolhead at heart I did a lot of work on the head breathing & it made a big difference to the rise time / throttle response - there's good improvements to be had.

I'm currently running the standard downpipe (not convinced about the 2.5" ) into a custom Peco s/s exhaust ( Peco actually make the Cybox ones...); like everything, it's the cumulative result that counts so every little bit helps

Thanks for the heads up ref. Techniclutch !

Comment

Are you now fitting an 02J gearbox Reg?
            Aren't they all 5 speed 250Nm rated units?

02G / EEZ is only rated to 300Nm and gearing only marginally better than the 02B (without the 5th gear upgrade.)

02M, 02N & 02Q are all 350Nm rated.

Comment

02m

02M, 02N & 02Q are all 350Nm rated.
              Has anybody managed to crowbar the 02M in ? looks tricky

Comment

Are you now fitting an 02J gearbox Reg?
                Who knows, could be a J, could be a Q or possibly any letter inbetween. It's a big heavy grey metal box with lumps attached.

Originally posted by WHF View Post
                I've been looking for a 02G EEZ bit thin on the ground, there is one on Ebay.de but it looks a touch risky. 02J 6sp. hmmmm.. very interesting - driveshaft angles ok ?
                Driveshafts will be fine as the box will be clocked on the adaptor plate, that does of course throw up problems with things like shift linkages position but because it's cable that 'should' be ok. The shifter is a bit tight for space on the floor - I'm trying to produce a kit to make it a fairly simple bolt in conversion for most of the later large bellhousing car derived gearboxes opening up the option for what could be fitted.

Comment

& a 4WD option perhaps?

Comment

& a 4WD option perhaps?
                    Of course. Need to get a syncro output housing.

I've a solution for the speedo drive issue as well - at least until you come up with an OEM cluster mod to suit....

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                      Of course. Need to get a syncro output housing.

I've a solution for the speedo drive issue as well - at least until you come up with an OEM cluster mod to suit....
                      Its got to be easy and cost effective - right?
                      From our previous exchanges my route would require fitting the rear wheel offside ABS sensor ring, cabling and sensor -
                      Sensor ca. £20
                      Spring washer with ABS rotor £20
                      OEM cabling £36
                      Mods to cluster - unknown as yet, but I have mine with ABS so I'm not expecting anything too difficult.
                      Labour - swapping the tensioning washer = 1 hr (?) + 1hr to route and install the cabling and cluster adaption (?)

Comment

Working...
                      X