Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear lever gaiter fitment

Daft one this I suspect.
    My 1.9 TR T4 had, (when I yanked it off in a fit of impatience) the main/long gear lever gaiter screwed down. Obviously a bodge. Now what the devil is this meant to look like?
    Gaiter appears to be fixed to knob, well that's how it unscrewed. At bottom of the flexi bit is the hard plastic squareish bit that had been screwed. All came off as one bit although Mr Haynes says otherwise. Under this is a smaller rubber gaiter, much like a normal car one and also a square rubber surround thingy. How are they meant fit be assembled? The web gives me millions of pics of extensions and T5 stuff but something as basic as this I can't find. Alright I'll admit to giving up search after about 45 minutes.

Rubber boot pushes onto the 4 corner studs, then the hard plastic surround pushes down on top of that - iirc it has a very subtle orientation. Hope that helps ya!
    '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Studs? I see no studs!

Comment

There's a V mark on the gear lever inner gate that should point towards the front the van.

Comment

Originally posted by mattsccm View Post
          Studs? I see no studs!
          The end off the four screws stuck up through floor of the van?

Comment

Ah.But they don't protrude. That's a start anyway.
            But what hold the plastic surround down? The carpet?

Comment

Still no further with this. Ok, I can see how the screws protruding from the floor could match the inside of the shroud but the spacings don't work. The vehicle has what I think is an original rubber floor mat. Its thick and stiff and obviously meant to be sound proofing. It isn't easily removable being trapped at the front by the kick boards etc. Can't see the back as there is aftermarket carpet which needs the seats removing to lift. The hole in the rubber is smaller than the bottom of the gear lever boot. Does the boot sit under the matting or on top of it. The latter doesn't make sense as the studs wouldn't be that long.
              It all looks as if I fit the boot first then drop the rubber matting over but would removing the boot really require seats out and the dash/kickboards removing?

Comment

Can you pop on a pic of what you have on the gaitor and the floor mate,

Comment

Working...
                X