Project Multi Sunroof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Multi Sunroof

I fitted an electric sunroof not long after I bought the van and it’s been really good to have it. I then bought a Eurovan moon roof but that’s quite a project as I’d need to fit drain tubes. Still have it if anyone wants a go??
    But then on eBay I bought two Hollandia Onyx 860s brand new for £110 each. Then I bought another two.......
    Then I bought a Polo Open Air roof, reskinned it and planned to fit that instead! That’s for sale too, with 3m of extra matching roof vinyl. PM me if interested!
    But after much much deliberation I’ve decided to go back to the quad sunroof idea.
    As you know the ribs are there in the roof and the third bay is shorter. Therefore I’m going to remove the second rib, plate a span of 1mm steel in and fit the middle two roofs. When that’s all good I’ll replace the front electric (and sell it!). I always wanted to add a 4th roof to the rear bay but now I’ve fitted a solar panel I might not, nevertheless I may be able to if I can design a way of pitching the panel whilst camping (it’s already bonded onto an ally sheet so semi rigid).

Roof as is:

Rough measurements

Internal

I’ve finally found a method of retaining a roof blower system as well.

Hoping for good weather on Friday so I can commence phase one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    Last edited by Mickandsej; 13 November 2018, 01:29 PM.

Roof vents turned up today, factory lining from T5. Bloody huge! Can’t now use them on the cant rails, so going to use one over the tailgate and may fabricate a box to use the other for the rear saloon heater and floor lighting.
    Have primed fabrication panel in zinc 182.
    Looked again at the inside and definitely going for quad roofs now, as for the solar panel, will fab a mount to fit over the cab whilst off grid, run the feed through the window as I’ve got deflectors so weatherproof, saves a new cable run as the controller is under the drivers seat with the inverter.
    Bit tired as on lates last night, that’s it for today I’ve got a good day before work tomorrow, will cut the hole and tack in the infill then, prep to cut and temp fit two middle roofs on Friday. Keep weekend clear to keep wife on side!

Comment

Originally posted by Mickandsej View Post
      zinc 182.

Always loved their music.

Anyways, looking forward to this project, thanks. Don't be shy with the photos....and good luck.
      Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

It’s just like ........

[emoji43] will it ever dry?

Good few thick coats on, I know I’ll burn and scrub some off whilst welding but saves painting upside down and outside!

Comment

Plus I plan to re-do the black roof centre - disguise the sunroof and easier to keep clean, I want to see the sun, not the sunroof....

Comment

It’s just like ........

Good few thick coats on, I know I’ll burn and scrub some off whilst welding but saves painting upside down and outside!

Not the best primer - stinks too.

I used it on my Caddy and found I had problems with rust resurfacing in short time - Go Electrox.

http://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.php...in-rear-corner
            Last edited by regcheeseman; 14 November 2018, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
              Not the best primer - stinks too.

I used it on my Caddy and found I had problems with rust resurfacing in short time - Go Electrox.

http://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.php...in-rear-corner
              It’s new steel, degreased and scrubbed - would I be ok?

Comment

It’s just like ........

All the small things, bud.
                Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Project Multi Sunroof

T5 roof liner arrived today, it takes up even more headroom than the T4 blower roof! I’ll end up with another inch or two in mine when all done.
                  Going to put the triple blower run in the rear over the load area, shame to waste the blower system.

Last edited by Mickandsej; 14 November 2018, 06:36 PM.

Comment

I got a original t4 roof blower and the side thing from the fan upwards if u interested. No pics before Friday working away

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                      I got a original t4 roof blower and the side thing from the fan upwards if u interested. No pics before Friday working away

Thank you buddy but I’m all sorted for that, I removed my T4 liner ahead of starting the work and have enough to splice the two set ups together. How’s that lovely V6??

Comment

172000 miles and still running smoth. Thanks for asking mate

Comment

Petrol. The way to go!!

Comment

Bad day today. Sikaflex!!!!
                            I riveted a sheet of ally onto the roof and sikaflexed it for extra strength before bonding the solar panel to the ally. Though this would make for easier removal. I was wrong as even after I buzzed the rivets off from the inside and sliced part of the sika with a long sabre saw blade it was like concrete. Nibbled away to no avail and had to resort to leverage mixed with sabre saw. The ribs are as soft as cheese and now I’ve got a hideous run of creases on the rear ribs. And to cap it all off my lazy tongue riveter has decided to wimp out on the sealed rivets I want to temp plug the holes with!
                            I was expecting a bit of flex in the roof when removing rib 2 but now I’m even more concerned about ripple in the centre so I’m going to leave that in. However:::
                            Right now the Open Air roof seems more appealing as I might have to resort to vinyl anyway.
                            Cup of tea time I think.

Comment

Bad day today. Sikaflex!!!!
                              I riveted a sheet of ally onto the roof and sikaflexed it for extra strength before bonding the solar panel to the ally. Though this would make for easier removal. I was wrong as even after I buzzed the rivets off from the inside and sliced part of the sika with a long sabre saw blade it was like concrete. Nibbled away to no avail and had to resort to leverage mixed with sabre saw. The ribs are as soft as cheese and now I’ve got a hideous run of creases on the rear ribs. And to cap it all off my lazy tongue riveter has decided to wimp out on the sealed rivets I want to temp plug the holes with!
                              I was expecting a bit of flex in the roof when removing rib 2 but now I’m even more concerned about ripple in the centre so I’m going to leave that in. However:::
                              Right now the Open Air roof seems more appealing as I might have to resort to vinyl anyway.
                              Cup of tea time I think.

It's a great advert for fixing the solar panel and testament to doing a good job! Hope a brew brings a solution....

Comment

Working...
                              X