Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    Activ8's Avatar Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,411 Times in 2,695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    The roof is an austops roof, yes with it being lwb it has extra length (Iím 6ft3Ē & I could sleep up there). The look of the roof down was a major selling point, it was between this & a skyline roof. In the end on recommendation by a few people I went to custom buses in congleton & Gary went through what I could have. I have had 4 touch sensitive lights installed above along the length of the van.
    Now the roof is fitted I want to build a box in front of my bed housing my electrical components & amps & power caps for the stereo system. I plan on having my jbl 10Ē sub in the cab under my dash where my drinks holder currently sits. Iíve given up on the idea of the swivel drivers seat, Iím now looking at a evo design pod to fit behind the drivers seat with a sink & hob for brews & washing. This way I can still use the drivers sliding door.
    Iíve bought an over head compartment to go in the hole left from where the pop top ends to the tailgate. I then want some sort of drawer that slides out from under the bed in the tail gate for table & chairs etc.
    Iím looking at stitches & steels canopy so if we wild camp I can put it up but also on a site I can have the canopy on one side & my awning on the other.
    Iíve got myself a little trailer for all my camping gear so it should be a much nicer experience in the back now.
    Iíve not taken many pictures as Iíve been ashamed of the interior. I will take a few today & explain the job I have ahead. 3 weeks isnít a lot of time but I can get it very comfortable for then at least.
    The cost, well thatís the thing, itís not cheap but you get what you pay for in my book & being a major part of quality control in my day job I like a well finished product. It cost me £3295 in the end & now maybe another £1200 to kit it out with the gear I want. Itís not about cost to me, Iím not rich but Iím not in the position to buy many things twice.
    Cheers for the replies lads, the roof is the only thing Iíve not done so far.
    Pics will follow excuse the mess I need to get the hoover out.

Building not buying
    Cheers for the reply. Look forward to seeing the interior develop aswell as the exterior choices - it really does look good.
    Roof rack loading on the oem van is 100kg, do you know what it is with the austop roof?

Biff's Avatar Maybe you actually know something (Bronze)
    Usually my man cave. Wrecsam North Wales.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
    Cheers for the reply. Look forward to seeing the interior develop aswell as the exterior choices - it really does look good.
    Roof rack loading on the oem van is 100kg, do you know what it is with the austop roof?
    No idea mate I wonít be sticking anything on it other than a solar panel. Iíve got a vw lupo tucked away I plan on cutting in half as a trailer so I can fit bike racks & roof boxes to that instead. Thatís for when the van is dare I say it finished (donít think it will ever be finished but donít tell my mrs that).
    Iíve taken a few snaps of the current interior. Iíve gone with smoke carpet on the roof as it was a bit gloomy when it was all black.
    The rear caravelle trims still fit with the new roof although the rear quarter ones I will have to trim around the overhead compartment. I also need some sort of trim to go around the bracing of the roof. Above the drivers seats. Iíve cut my head lining as neatly & accurately as I could so I can still retain the world map.
    I do need to touch up my black door cards but the dash stated scratch free during the roof fitting.

Building not buying

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

damont4 (14th July 2019)

Fruitbat's Avatar Unemployed (Platinum)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 840 Posts

The roof is an austops roof, yes with it being lwb it has extra length (Iím 6ft3Ē & I could sleep up there). The look of the roof down was a major selling point, it was between this & a skyline roof. In the end on recommendation by a few people I went to custom buses in congleton & Gary went through what I could have. I have had 4 touch sensitive lights installed above along the length of the van.
    Now the roof is fitted I want to build a box in front of my bed housing my electrical components & amps & power caps for the stereo system. I plan on having my jbl 10Ē sub in the cab under my dash where my drinks holder currently sits. Iíve given up on the idea of the swivel drivers seat, Iím now looking at a evo design pod to fit behind the drivers seat with a sink & hob for brews & washing. This way I can still use the drivers sliding door.
    Iíve bought an over head compartment to go in the hole left from where the pop top ends to the tailgate. I then want some sort of drawer that slides out from under the bed in the tail gate for table & chairs etc.
    Iím looking at stitches & steels canopy so if we wild camp I can put it up but also on a site I can have the canopy on one side & my awning on the other.
    Iíve got myself a little trailer for all my camping gear so it should be a much nicer experience in the back now.
    Iíve not taken many pictures as Iíve been ashamed of the interior. I will take a few today & explain the job I have ahead. 3 weeks isnít a lot of time but I can get it very comfortable for then at least.
    The cost, well thatís the thing, itís not cheap but you get what you pay for in my book & being a major part of quality control in my day job I like a well finished product. It cost me £3295 in the end & now maybe another £1200 to kit it out with the gear I want. Itís not about cost to me, Iím not rich but Iím not in the position to buy many things twice.
    Cheers for the replies lads, the roof is the only thing Iíve not done so far.
    Pics will follow excuse the mess I need to get the hoover out.

Building not buying

Check out my build thread , I have fitted an Evo design kitchen pod in my LWB , their expensive but well made but an arse to put together , when I spoke to them they told me only one sink / hob combo would fit , they wanted £300 extra for the sink / hob unit which was too much money for me at the time , after a lot of homework I found one that would fit , any info you need just ask .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fruitbat For This Useful Post:

Biff (14th July 2019)

Thanks

My thoughts were about the weight loading for the roof with 2 sleeping occupants as I'm (erherm) well in excess of 100kg, also not too keen on asking the Mrs either (sore subject based on yesterday's family time excursion) for a real assessment of our needs!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Activ8 For This Useful Post:

Biff (14th July 2019),Fruitbat (14th July 2019)

Thanks
    Ah I see. Well myself & my mrs are planning on utilising the full width rock & roll now the kids can go upstairs. I canít see it being that strong it is only ply board at the end of the day.
    Fruitbat the pod Iím looking at is a mini. The sink unit is £200 but I was going to stump for that.

Building not buying

Thanks

Ah I see. Well myself & my mrs are planning on utilising the full width rock & roll now the kids can go upstairs. I can’t see it being that strong it is only ply board at the end of the day.
    Fruitbat the pod I’m looking at is a mini. The sink unit is £200 but I was going to stump for that.

Building not buying
    Nice , where is the fridge / cool box going to go ? I don’t think they had the mini pod version when I was looking ,I might have gone for the mini as it would have allowed me to have a passenger swivel seat . Although I’m fairly happy with my set up at the moment , I still have a few plans though

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
    My thoughts were about the weight loading for the roof with 2 sleeping occupants as I'm (erherm) well in excess of 100kg, also not too keen on asking the Mrs either (sore subject based on yesterday's family time excursion) for a real assessment of our needs!

So Rob your thinking of a load rating of 250 kg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fruitbat For This Useful Post:

Activ8 (14th July 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
    So Rob your thinking of a load rating of 250 kg
    250kg should be enough Kev?
    I think for that sort of money (great added value on the van!) I'd be buying an XXL LT or Crafter to convert but we don't need it as we have a choice of tents 10, 6, or 4 man (I mean person) & the Mrs dictates the accomodation setup. She's gets more claustrophobic each year.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Activ8 For This Useful Post:

Fruitbat (14th July 2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
    Nice , where is the fridge / cool box going to go ? I donít think they had the mini pod version when I was looking ,I might have gone for the mini as it would have allowed me to have a passenger swivel seat . Although Iím fairly happy with my set up at the moment , I still have a few plans though
    Cool box just fits in around us to be honest depending on how we have it. If itís in sleep mode it will just about tuck in front of the unit. I only have a Halfords 40l but Iím planning on a proper compressor cool box /freezer in the future. They will go in the lupo trailer fed from a solar panel. I will have 2, one for food the other for beer/wine.
    I would sleep up there with one or both of the kids but I wouldnít be humping the mrs up there put it that way. 🤙🏼

Building not buying

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:

Fruitbat (14th July 2019)

Thanks

I only have a Halfords 40l but I’m planning on a proper compressor cool box /freezer in the future.I wouldn’t be humping the mrs up there put it that way. ����

Building not buying
    I had the Halfords cool box but have just bought a compressor fridge , I’ve tried it at home and it’s excellent , Ive not tried it in the van yet .

I guess your not married yet Dave