Screeching belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screeching belt?

So coming back from the east coast back to Shropshire today and about 30 miles from home my bus developed a screeching sound when i accelerated upto about 60 and the battery light flashed at the same time, this git worse and i had to take it really slowly for the rest of the journey which really pleased people behind me! I'm guessing it's the alternator belt? It doesn't look knackered but maybe its stretched and is slipping at speed?

Sounds like it... What engine you got?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
    '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

2.5 diesel

Comment

Belt worn, has that model got spring loaded tensioner? Or worn pulley.

Comment

No idea, there is a cover at the top so i cant tell

Comment

Originally posted by Benf View Post
            No idea, there is a cover at the top so i cant tell
            Get underneath and have a butchers, the alternator sits quite low... Take some pics if you're not sure.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
            '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

If it’s a 2.5 get underneath and the pulley wheel at the front bottom is your power steering pump.Get hold of the belt above and below the pulley and give a big pull towards you.If it slackens off an then pings back with some force when you let it go.You know the tensioner is working.

Comment

Cheers, popped into a local garage who said upon inspection that it was slack, he re tensioned it so lets see if it works!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles02 View Post
                  If it’s a 2.5 get underneath and the pulley wheel at the front bottom is your power steering pump.Get hold of the belt above and below the pulley and give a big pull towards you.If it slackens off an then pings back with some force when you let it go.You know the tensioner is working.
                  erm..... it shouldn't do that mate. The tensioner applies the tension and then it should be locked up on the bolts, it should not be springy.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                    erm..... it shouldn't do that mate. The tensioner applies the tension and then it should be locked up on the bolts, it should not be springy.
                    Ooh eck.wrong advice and best check mine then..

Comment

Working...
                    X