Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nah, got to have something to do this summer

Comment

• Coolant light came on coming back from are Amys last night. We have a leaky flange. Oohh err Mrs

Comment

• Hi Si!

Great thread & good work.

Just been spinning through this thread as Gracie has considerable steel worm in her sills bless her.
        This'll be my first foray into body repair, but I have bundles if keeness, so it's easy, right? LOL!

Was just looking at central panels & the sills are listed as galvanised, but they certainly don't look it - more likely zinger, am I right?

A bit nervous if my first "proper" welding job in through galvanising.

Sent from my SM-A415F using Just T4s

Comment

• Hi Tinc mate. hope you are all well. They didnt look galvanized to be fair but a good fit and i was happy with the quality and price.I've been bodgeing up motors for the mot for years but this was my first go at proper bodywork. Plenty of practice with the mig and you will be fine mate.

Comment

• Cheers Si!

They don't look galvanised on the web site either, but are listed as such. I think they'll be Zintec - that's less worrying.
            Good to know they fitted well, just hope I can fit them well! LOL!!

Comment

• Is it the usual front sills Tinc? Not a bad idea to do the inners perhaps as well.If so drop the tank, not the worst to get out, less fire risk and easier to get to.

Comment

• Yup, planning to do inners & outers.
                Gracie's a diesel, fire risk reduced, but words of wisdom heeded.

I guess I see what else may need doing whilst I'm in there, hopefully no too much, but I don't think she'd too much cosmetic surgery to date.

Comment

• Awful Chinese interior lamps fitted and the number plate surrounds she got at Busfest 2019. And yep she needs some plate now that arent drilled. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4332.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	669.8 KB
ID:	321356Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4330.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	780.3 KB
ID:	321357

Comment

• I'm always banging on about garages and bodyshops not putting the love into a job that you would do yourself.My mate Dean has a large bodyshop in Lempster and painted Mol's bonnet,wings,front panel and bumpers in June 2019.Well less than 2 years later and its peeling off the rear bumper. Not the right primer or prep? You tell me ,as you know what i know about painting would fit on the back of a penny black. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4334.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	686.9 KB
ID:	321627

Comment

• If it had been mine it would have had black textured bumpers.

Comment

• Has it had a small impact Si or a fitting twist perhaps?

Comment

• No mate, started with a small bubble under the paint then grew.No sign of primer underneath i suspect a bit of a short cut as Mol was getting restless. Thats why the doka will be done for better or worse by yours truly.
                          Last edited by S49; 13 March 2021, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• Crap prep, sandin big flat areas get plenty of attention, fiddly awkward corners less so.

plastic primer if one was used dries clear, even so, there's normally a load of hi build on bumpers or were these smooth ones rather than textured?

Some people put plasticiser into paint if it's going on bumpers but if you flex a bumper, no paint even with plasticiser in it will bend as much as a plastic bumper, so I dont bother.

Comment

• The rear was a brand new smooth one, the front,which appears still to be fine was a secondhand textured effort which they smoothed.

Comment

• Popped it round Deans today, hes going to redo the bumper. Said drop the bumper round and he'd do asap so the vans not off the road too long. I wont tell him i'll fit the black one from the grey scrapper thats currently on the roof of our shed.

Comment

Working...
                                X