Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternator Woes (bit of a long one sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator Woes (bit of a long one sorry)

Evening all.

while I was away on holiday I booked the van in to have the timing belt and water pump done, also to check out the oil leak, the guy thought before he'd looked it was probably the crank seal as thats common and quoted me about £500 for the lot If it was, I also mentioned that it had its MOT next month so to give it a once over.

He came back to me quickly and gave me a list of things needed for the MOT, decided that was more important than the preventive work for now.
    2x ball joints.
    Anti roll bar link and bushes.
    3 c/v gaiters.
    All handbrake cables.
    Steel brake pipes.
    Rear calliper.
    Two front tires.

£520 all in, pretty chuffed with that.

Now to the main question, to be honest not sure why I waffled on about all that first.

I also have a battery light on, the alternator seems to have shat its pants, it was really intermittent so I wasn't worried too much, we agreed that I'd get it done when he does the cam belt next month. After all I only drive it to work and back, 30 mins each way. Trouble is now it's on nearly all the time, I have an intelligent VSR hooked up to my solar panel (180W I think) so if the suns out, the leisure battery is full and I'm driving the sun keeps the main battery between 12.6 and 13.2, so thats all good.

I realised today though I need to make it to dubtoberfest, 3hrs, if the suns not out I'm worried I wont make it, how far can I expect to get with no charge going to the main battery?
    I've read about changing the alternator regulator and bushes, about £40, is it worth a punt that may not work and if so how much of a pig of a job is it.

Sorry for the long post.
    Cheers.
    Ric.
    Last edited by ricrhys; 19 July 2018, 09:17 PM.

Get a brush pack Ric its not the worst job in the world. I'd guess 9 out of 10 alternators that stop charging have worn out brush's. As long as the slip rings aren't totally shagged it'll work. I have fitted brush's to worn slip rings and told the client you'll need a new unit soon that or it'll eat the new brush's in no time but they seem to keep going. What i'm getting at in my round about way is if its the brush pack for 40 odd quid it'll see you past the summer and beyond mate.

Comment

Have a read here http://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.php...d-Seven/page10

If you want bring it up to me and I’ll fit the new regulator for you , your not a million miles away from me , or if you want drop me a pm and I’ll give you my mobile number to talk you through the job .

Comment

Cheers for the quick reply Si I was hoping you'd weigh in, nearly DM'd you to be honest, I'll give it a go, these bloody 2.5tdi acv's, I can just about get a blue rizla in from the top reds have no chance, I guess its a pull the rad out into service position and attack it from the bottom job?

Comment

Cheers fruit, where about are you? I'm with you on the try and fix rather than just replace, the difference between fitters and mechanics eh, trouble is I can wield a spanner I just don't have the knowledge.

Comment

Think Fruitbat did his in situ, I'm a bugger for taking things off for the sake of it so i'd be removing the alternator.

Comment

Originally posted by ricrhys View Post
              Cheers fruit, where about are you? I'm with you on the try and fix rather than just replace, the difference between fitters and mechanics eh, trouble is I can wield a spanner I just don't have the knowledge.
              Empty your inbox mate .

Originally posted by S49 View Post
              Think Fruitbat did his in situ, I'm a bugger for taking things off for the sake of it so i'd be removing the alternator.
              I did mine in situ, tricky but , I felt it was easier and less time consuming .

Comment

Its a godsend that rad service position.

Comment

Its a godsend that rad service position.
                  I removed the cooling fans aswell to give me more room .

Comment

Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                    I removed the cooling fans aswell to give me more room .
                    Now ya talking, the bigger the pile of bits the better.

Comment

Now ya talking, the bigger the pile of bits the better.
                      As long as all those bits go back it’s ok haha

Comment

I've saved loads of bits over the years........

Comment

Empty your inbox mate .

I did mine in situ, tricky but , I felt it was easier and less time consuming .
                          Inbox emptied.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	57BB4A69-F8DC-43F5-B8A1-0C182BF36D42.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	264311

I’m still getting the above when I try and message you

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9743[/ATTACH]

I’m still getting the above when I try and message you
                              sorry try again I had to delete sent as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X