Stripping alloys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping alloys

just wondered what peoples preferred methods are of stripping paint off alloys? shotblasting? nitromors? sanding?, I have a set I need to do, ive had the tyres taken off as they were shot anyway so I haven't got to worry about damaging tyres.

cheers

Originally posted by Benf View Post
    just wondered what peoples preferred methods are of stripping paint off alloys? shotblasting? nitromors? sanding?, I have a set I need to do, ive had the tyres taken off as they were shot anyway so I haven't got to worry about damaging tyres.

cheers
    Depends on your plans for them?
    Powder coaters will usually strip them for you as they want to be happy with the the surface they start with.
    If your painting either rub them down nitromors or get them blasted. Depends on the time you have how bad they are and how full your pockets are.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Nitromors is pants these days (see how I avoided saying shit?)..., you could brush your teeth with it. Don't make 'em like they used to.
      Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
        Nitromors is pants these days (see how I avoided saying shit?)..., you could brush your teeth with it. Don't make 'em like they used to.
        They do - it's called paramose.

Really nasty stuff - I've got a spare 5 litre tin of it £30 (posted)

It's exactly what nitromors used to be before the yogurt knitters got involved.

I used it to strip my wheels.

Comment

As said above it depends what you want , I was going to get my wheels sandblasted and powder coated , but unfortunately funds didn’t allow this to happen .

I sanded my wheels down myself , it took about an hour and a half of prep per each wheel before I was in a position to prime them and then flat them back and paint , all in all it cost me about £20 in materials to get all my alloy wheels painted .

If you have the free time and patience good results are possible .

Comment

As Fruitbat says really! I rubbed mine down with sandpaper for 3000 hours a wheel and filled the holes with one of them kits from Amazon. Rubbed down again for 2000 hours and painted. They look alright

Comment

That's it, have a look on Fruitbats build thread, if you have the time yours will, like his come up a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                As said above it depends what you want , I was going to get my wheels sandblasted and powder coated , but unfortunately funds didn’t allow this to happen .

I sanded my wheels down myself , it took about an hour and a half of prep per each wheel before I was in a position to prime them and then flat them back and paint , all in all it cost me about £20 in materials to get all my alloy wheels painted .

If you have the free time and patience good results are possible .
                Did same last weekend. Unfortunately only one done. Got them bbs fakes but corroded within one year. So sanded them down. Polished with toothpaste and put some Chinese red bolts in. Happy with the result. Hopefully it lasts a while

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s

Comment

That's come up a treat mate

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

I used a selection of wire wheels in a drill and 4" angle grinder. My paint bloke recommended them as hand sanding can take more time than the other half in the bathroom and a sanding flap wheel thingy in a grinder is tooooooooo aggressive. I was told that wire wheels take away paint and not metal so it was a risk to try on alloys but I was methodical and it worked an absolute treat!

Just be careful when you do it as it jumped off when I was doing one and hit my leg, I wouldn't recommend that for fun.
                    #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                      I used a selection of wire wheels in a drill and 4" angle grinder. My paint bloke recommended them as hand sanding can take more time than the other half in the bathroom and a sanding flap wheel thingy in a grinder is tooooooooo aggressive. I was told that wire wheels take away paint and not metal so it was a risk to try on alloys but I was methodical and it worked an absolute treat!

Just be careful when you do it as it jumped off when I was doing one and hit my leg, I wouldn't recommend that for fun.
                      I know it takes more time but don't they both clean-up a treat?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

Nice tiles. My legs are worryingly similar......

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                        #vanlife

Comment

They look spot on mate, what’s toothpaste polish all about[emoji848]

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                            Did same last weekend. Unfortunately only one done. Got them bbs fakes but corroded within one year. So sanded them down. Polished with toothpaste and put some Chinese red bolts in. Happy with the result. Hopefully it lasts a while

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s
                            Good effort mate. They look bang on

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                              I know it takes more time but don't they both clean-up a treat?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s
                              Glad you posted that and not me
                              Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Working...
                              X