Wrapped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrapped

This wrap stuff that people use, if you have this on A pillar trim and dash does anyone know of the most successful way of removing it without destroying the trim?

Si, it depends on the quality and also the length of time it's been on there in my experience. I have recently stripped and replaced a lot on the camper and found heat and steady pressure once you've got a corner etc. picked off, worked best.
    I know most people use a heat gun, but as I didn't have one, I used an old hair dryer and that worked.
    Any sticky remains I cleaned off with petrol on a rag.
    Warning, it can be slow work though and there will probably be UV damage to the paint, cutting compound may help.
    This is by no way an expert opinion, just my experience.
    Hope it helps, cheers
    Life's Better at the Beach

Comment

Heat - warm the area generally, then apply gentle heat from a distance as you peel the vinyl - too much and the vinyl will melt and tear.

LRM to remove residue safely.

WD40 should work nearly as well, and better than petrol as it's less volatile and less damaging to paint.

I use LRM because it doesn't smell like WD40 and it less likely to stain when used on/near fabric. But there are probably loads of commercially available glue residue removers.

Comment

Cheers guys, on the vehicle in question has it on the dash, pillar trims,dash and door cards I think. And its being a pig to get off.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
          Heat - warm the area generally, then apply gentle heat from a distance as you peel the vinyl - too much and the vinyl will melt and tear.

LRM to remove residue safely.

WD40 should work nearly as well, and better than petrol as it's less volatile and less damaging to paint.

I use LRM because it doesn't smell like WD40 and it less likely to stain when used on/near fabric. But there are probably loads of commercially available glue residue removers.
          What might LRM be? Have tried all the sticky tag removers to no avail the the top plastic comes off leaving like a lining paper which is the devil to get off. It has all been wrapped on each piece of the dash and A pillars.

Thanks Simon for asking on our behalf

teleg

Comment

LRM label remover

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Electrolube...8615505&crdt=0

Put it on sparingly, leave for 5 minutes and wipe off - reapply as necessary.

Obviously it needs to get to the glue and wont soak through vinyl - so get the vinyl off and then apply the LRM to the glue left behind.

WD40 does a half decent job - as does petrol and thinners but they have drawbacks especially when used on plastics and paint.

Comment

Originally posted by teleg View Post
              What might LRM be? Have tried all the sticky tag removers to no avail the the top plastic comes off leaving like a lining paper which is the devil to get off. It has all been wrapped on each piece of the dash and A pillars.

Thanks Simon for asking on our behalf

teleg
              That's cool, hoping to find a solution as it had me stumped.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                That's cool, hoping to find a solution as it had me stumped.
                Surprised that the other removers haven't done the trick? You could phone a wrapper up and ask what they use.

Comment

Try a bit of petrol mate, wd40 also good for it on the body work to soft it up. I finished off with some g3 then 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                  Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                    Surprised that the other removers haven't done the trick? You could phone a wrapper up and ask what they use.
                    Tried both Eminem and Dr Dre but they are busy!

Seriously though, I had thought of that but do not know any wrappers in our area - Herefordshire/Gloucestershire. Can anyone help with a name at all?

teleg

Comment

[QUOTE=tommo1366;99529]Try a bit of petrol mate, wd40 also good for it on the body work to soft it up. I finished off with some g3 then 10.

I am going to try WD40 and a light scourer at the weekend with all doors/windows open as it is not a smell that I want soaking into the soft furnishings and carpeting. What is G3 and 10 may I ask (doh I have been racking my brain cell and it is now overworked)

cheers

teleg

Comment

Werxco is one in Gloucestershire mate

Sell my T4 !!! I'd rather stick wasps up my butt.

Comment

G3 is that a sort of rubbing compound?

Comment

G3 and 10 are cutting and polishing compounds. 3 is the harsher one, good for deep scratches ( not through to primer though) and 10 is a finishing compound for lighter scratches but will also leave a gloss finish. My dash and cards were stained and had residue of some sort left on them that I removed with cellulose thinners. If you use some, always test in an inconspicuous area first!! The compounds are meant for body work but I can’t see the harm in trying on the hard plastics.

Comment

Obviously no celly thinners on the paintwork!

Comment

Working...
                              X