Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh and this. A turbine and shaft for the 1.9TD T15/GT15 turbo which Im upgrading.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      Just back home (crikey its hot) to receive a couple of parcels. Im not sure whether this was luck or it'll turn out to be shite but a Chinese "UK Seller" popped into the eBay feed offering a 120A brushless RC ESC for £14, thats about 75% cheaper than the 150A I was looking at. The motor I ordered was 130A rated. I ordered it and the delivery changed from 3-4 days to a month - ah well .... but it turned up today 2 days later Royal Mail. The Seller was based in Lichfield (down the road) & it was the only RC product they were shifting - just hope its not just the sticker thats 120A!
      Well it certainly looks the business!

Have you got a little analog "throttle" to test it out once you've got the motor?

If not I can recommend one. Dirt cheap usually.

Does it say what the firmware is on the ESC? There are lots of very good open source firmwares for ESCs out there that utilise the ESC much better than factory. Can be a bit of a faff to flash, but I did all mine and much better.

Improvements such as higher Hz refresh rate - so it digitises the phases of power passed to the motor much quicker - which results in a smoother motor spin. You may want this for the finely balanced application you're going for.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
        Well it certainly looks the business!

Have you got a little analog "throttle" to test it out once you've got the motor?

If not I can recommend one. Dirt cheap usually.

Does it say what the firmware is on the ESC? There are lots of very good open source firmwares for ESCs out there that utilise the ESC much better than factory. Can be a bit of a faff to flash, but I did all mine and much better.

Improvements such as higher Hz refresh rate - so it digitises the phases of power passed to the motor much quicker - which results in a smoother motor spin. You may want this for the finely balanced application you're going for.

Thats good info J. Cheers.
        How did you flash the ESC?
        Got a link for OpenSource firmware?
        And I'll need a throttle for the test bed, I should have something but suggestions welcomed.

Some of the brushless fans Ive been sent have a 'tacho' function on them which could be useful feedback data &/or display in the cab - any insight into this?

Comment

• I had a lot of trouble logging in and online yesterday, odd messages stating Id tried 3x and locked out for a period. Odd?

Anyway, having taken on board what Reg said I thought Id try machine polishing the bonnet. I figured theres so little coverage on it its bound to follow his predictions. And it did. I was really careful but the bonnet dulled quickly and in patches and when the Mrs had a go it snagged an edge and took it back to the primer. Genuinely Id buffed the bonnet twice with G3 and upset the surface sheen. So back out with the paper Im taking it back and trying a new process / technique!

I took 10 minutes to cleanup the underside of the bonnet while I reassess and look at the TMIC airflow feed. Found some scaffold sponge tubing to lay on my 40 year old 'O' level tressles which worked a treat. Strange ain't it, although I can remember the time distinctly not a single atom in my body was actually there! You renew every 20 years.

Comment

• Still want to rattle can the whole van?

With regards to edges and swage lines, it's a good idea to adapt your spray pattern to ensure these get extra coverage as paint bleeds away from these high edges, leaving a thinner coat. When you machine polish, these high edges tend to be where most pressure will get placed (unless you deliberately avoid) and where you burn through.

If you look at my barn doors, there's several areas of burn through from wet sanding - all on high points, I did go back, masked up and tried to blend these out with more paint but they are still there.

Comment

• My tutor taught us to stay away from edges and stages they look after themselves

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Just all part of the joys of learning. Im experimenting, weathers great for this sort of messing around.

I found that spray gun that was chucked in with two Keskin rims I bought last year. Its clean but I need to strip it and clean it again as I cannot read the nozzle size. Theres also no branding on it but Im sure it was decent.

Comment

Just all part of the joys of learning. Im experimenting, weathers great for this sort of messing around.

I found that spray gun that was chucked in with two Keskin rims I bought last year. Its clean but I need to strip it and clean it again as I cannot read the nozzle size. Theres also no branding on it but Im sure it was decent.
                  Probably be a devilbiss knock off - and probably fine. Don't get hung up on nozzle size - you are nowhere near that stage yet. Just put some paint in it and have a go.

Comment

Thats good info J. Cheers.
                    How did you flash the ESC?
                    Got a link for OpenSource firmware?
                    And I'll need a throttle for the test bed, I should have something but suggestions welcomed.

Some of the brushless fans Ive been sent have a 'tacho' function on them which could be useful feedback data &/or display in the cab - any insight into this?
                    This thing will serve you perfectly on a test bed. £3.12 delivered. Same one I've got.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESC-Servo....m46890.l49292

SimonK or BlueHeli are the two raved about firmwares for the ESCs. Definitely for drone / helicopter flight - can't see what it would be any different for your application. There may be something more specific out there for turbo application.

Firmware flashing was a bugger. Have to expose the 6 solder pads on the ESC board, then identify what each one is - as annoyingly they are different across ESC manufs.

Then I you have to buy a USB to ESC converter thing. Then I had to make up a weird claw of cables, with 6 exposed wires which you can press onto the 6 solder pads.

Then you press flash. But if a cable slips or anything, then the ESC is bricked.

Look into it before deciding to flash it.

Oh, you also might be lucky with your ESC as some can be reflashed through the 3 core wire!

Comment

• The RC motor turned up this morning. Despite being well over £15 for customs, duty , VAT and fees, the Chinese Seller read the paypal message (normally they don't) and completed the commercial invoice for a tenner, saves a few quid. Always helpful to reply and big up the Service. Its a nice little thing with 9650kv just hope its fine running at +/- 2v @ 12vdc! I some how think not but I'll restrict full speed to short bursts. You can manually adjust the timing for speed and torque plus you can strip the motor for rebuilds, bearing upgrades (ceramic available) & better still its ideal for "balancing".
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks for the info J.

Comment

• Thanks to Reg for sharing his worn copy of Brokeback Mountain for Vehicle Painters, with its tips, tricks and tools for ensuring a good finish.

Comment

• While I wait for paint to arrive I got some 3000 grit paper on the bonnet this evening and just buffed the surface lightly and tightly by hand. Its getting to the effect and look Im after. I might order some finer grades.

Comment

Thanks to Reg for sharing his worn copy of Brokeback Mountain for Vehicle Painters, with its tips, tricks and tools for ensuring a good finish.
                              That video was shot last week in Devon, the painter is a bit of a trend setter.

Yeah once you get over the cliches of mullet, snow washed denim and the car then it's actually a really good video

Comment

While I wait for paint to arrive I got some 3000 grit paper on the bonnet this evening and just buffed the surface lightly and tightly by hand. Its getting to the effect and look Im after. I might order some finer grades.
                                Was 'it looks shite' the effect you wanted?

Get a splash of black paint in your spray gun and a lot of thinners, mix 80ml thinners and 20ml paint, just wet the surface and let it dry.....may need to do it twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X