Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

How many coats of paint and lacquer should you apply to panels? Enough

Does the finish change because of the additional layers? Yes, but not so much because of the number/thickness of layers, more due to the variety of layers

Should different parts of the van have different layer ratios? Maybe, but how are you as a diy painter going to control that effectively

How many nozzle sizes should I but with a gravity fed gun? Just the one that works for you and the mediums you intend to spray, my small gun has a 1.0, my big gun has a 1.3 which is too big for my style (I need to change style not nozzle). The 1.0 is great but doesn't flow enough for big spray jobs, you shouldn't be able to spray thick filler primers with a 1.0, but I do and it's good.

What gun spares are useful? A lid that fits, no other spares required, just clean it properly.

Paint suppliers? Not Jawel unless you like to gamble on colours - branded paint is better but expensive and expensive paint doesn't mean good paint job.

Paint types for DIY? Rustoleum

Shelf life? ????

Compressor rating needed? 10-13 cfm, tank size irrelevent, though people will tell you, you must have xxxx litres.

Overthinking stuff again Activ? - start with the basics. What do you want to paint? with what type of paint?
    Thanks for the info - I think!
    Nah its not over thinking , its preparation and planning Reg, you know the ending "prevents piss poor".... etc...
    I just find a ton of gaps in the How To's , I'm weighing up the success rate and I'm not gambling on product, purchases or time to make a bad job of it!
    See.... I didn't realise theres a "style" to spray painting and I cannot wait 20 years of testing to develop one either! Or branded paint!?

I get you want me to just jump in and get a feel for it, but its not my way.
    I do understand that you can take a lot on board with just have a go then analysing the progress but its a big commitment of resources for me.
    Bottom line is I have a fear of failure or doing it wrong so I "over think it" to satisfy or quash that potential. Its years as a kid of being harshly beaten!

Basically I'm fired up for painting the "red" van, I've got a spread sheet calculation on the go for doing it with rattle cans!
    Sad I know, so I'm looking at adding a tab for a gravity fed gun and a another for the HVLP system!
    There isn't one for Rustoleum you'll be glad to know!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
      You seen this Rob? Electurbo.

They tried a chinesium one, which lost them about 50bhp, haha.

But then this proper one costing $2500 gained them about 23bhp!

Only running 5psi max, quickly dropping down to 30psi.

Looks like they're running in before the air filter? Which is a bit odd. Surely you'd get better performance straight into the manifold?

https://www.facebook.com/cleetusmcfa...4062712551029/

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s
      Dropping down to 30psi??? 3psi?
      Yeh, I've watched their "stuff" for a year or so but cannot stand their accents despite their educations.
      Electro Turbos is different for petrol, especially if you're not remapping it , bolt on bits "could" make a difference if its planned constructively.
      I'm waiting on that US company for a quote, they got back to me about a 300k rpm motor! However the German fella I spoke to at Lehman was a master pro and seemed to be the most honest about the design limitations, he reckoned 85krpm with the current MOSFETS and software BUT it was possible for 10 second bursts at +30% with carbon sleeving, a motor water jacket for cooling and shaft balancing. He's quoting me a special price as I tickled his curiosity.

Can you imagine the simplicity of an e-turbo with no special manifold, exhaust, oil feed/returns, cooling, location restrictions, sizing issues, boost delays, multiple fitment, each cylinder having a matched compressor and fuel inputs?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post

Thanks for the info - I think!
        Nah its not over thinking , its preparation and planning Reg, you know the ending "prevents piss poor".... etc...
        I just find a ton of gaps in the How To's , I'm weighing up the success rate and I'm not gambling on product, purchases or time to make a bad job of it!
        See.... I didn't realise theres a "style" to spray painting and I cannot wait 20 years of testing to develop one either! Or branded paint!?

I get you want me to just jump in and get a feel for it, but its not my way.
        I do understand that you can take a lot on board with just have a go then analysing the progress but its a big commitment of resources for me.
        Bottom line is I have a fear of failure or doing it wrong so I "over think it" to satisfy or quash that potential. Its years as a kid of being harshly beaten!

Basically I'm fired up for painting the "red" van, I've got a spread sheet calculation on the go for doing it with rattle cans!
        Sad I know, so I'm looking at adding a tab for a gravity fed gun and a another for the HVLP system!
        There isn't one for Rustoleum you'll be glad to know!

Practice makes perfect - not PPPPPP

You need to get a feel for it, it is an artform and cannot be solved with a spreadsheet, like any art, you need to understand your medium and your application method, you learn and flow and adapt.

Big commitment of resources? sell some of your stash?

You cannot do it with rattlecans

Use a HVLP gravity feed. (single spreadsheet)

I've a great how to paint DVD you can borrow, it is a little dated but the info is very comprehensive. I can put up on my google drive later.

I would advise you to dive in and have a go - assuming you have somewhere to do it safely? And yes, you'll make mistakes, it'll probably cost you more than paying someone to do properly, you'll probably shorten your life expectancy from exposure to nasty chemicals, and ruin your van. but at least we'll have a laugh.

Comment

Practice makes perfect - not PPPPPP

Big commitment of resources? sell some of your stash?

Use a HVLP gravity feed. (single spreadsheet)

I've a great how to paint DVD you can borrow, it is a little dated but the info is very comprehensive. I can put up on my google drive later.

I would advise you to dive in and have a go - assuming you have somewhere to do it safely? And yes, you'll make mistakes, it'll probably cost you more than paying someone to do properly, you'll probably shorten your life expectancy from exposure to nasty chemicals, and ruin your van. but at least we'll have a laugh.
          You stated I couldnt do the bonnet with rattle cans too? I think I did .... but now understand the process a lot more and the shortfall of the rattle can.

Its not money Im short of its time and a van sized booth space at the moment.

A DVD lesson would be good info. Thx.

Funny cnut.

Comment

• Polishing the turd techniques ....
            Amazon just delivered these velcro sponge mop heads & a lambs wool disc to complient the one supplied with the unit. What does what - any ideas or must I trawl through some YT bollocks and adverts?

Six rpm speeds on the 1200W Polisher - 600 900 1500 2100 2700 3000.

​​​​​
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Activ8; 23 June 2020, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Fluffy mop for off,
              Harder the foam the coarser the grit it's for.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• But when I worked for vw we had 1 mop for all grades

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Fruitbat is sending me a list of detailing products that can polish my turd. For the plastics he recommended Autoglym Bumper and Trim Gel. Cheers Kev.

Just need some Fast & Fucked Up LEDs next. I have heated washer jets so got power too!

Comment

You stated I couldnt do the bonnet with rattle cans too? I think I did ....
                    hmmmm ish.

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    but now understand the process a lot more and the shortfall of the rattle can.
                    You need to keep a wet edge and put down a lot of paint, you could do a van a panel at a time. Would take a lot of cans and time, you might find colour variations between panels depending on the colour chosen.

See what your rattled bonnet looks like in 12 months, it'll be flat and blotchy unless you keep cutting it back, then because the coat is thin you risk burning through the colour coat.

Comment

See what your rattled bonnet looks like in 12 months, it'll be flat and blotchy unless you keep cutting it back, then because the coat is thin you risk burning through the colour coat.
                      Yep. I can see that happening.
                      However now I wouldnt think twice about rubbing it back and going for a colour change....

Can't wait to get started on my old rusty bonnet next.

Comment

However now I wouldnt think twice about rubbing it back and going for a colour change....

Can't wait to get started on my old rusty bonnet next.
                        That's the spirit, just crack on and have a go.

Comment

That's the spirit, just crack on and have a go.
                          Right thats it! Enough is enough.
                          That's the fourth positive and cheerful comment in a row from you. What's going on?
                          What have you done with the real Cheeseman?
                          Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post

Right thats it! Enough is enough.
                            That's the fourth positive and cheerful comment in a row from you. What's going on?
                            What have you done with the real Cheeseman?
                            Aye fair enough, I've lost my job so i'm in a good mood.

Activ - try this link if you like to watch paint dry..let me know when you are done and I'll take it down

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19yu...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Aye fair enough, I've lost my job so i'm in a good mood.
                              Well I for one appreciate the support and positivity.

Has the Company uplifted your redunancy package to over and above their Statutory obligations then?

RR have doubled it for volunteers, loads have gone. Mate took £75k and now old enough to retire (58) on an index linked final salary pension. The Pension Pots full too.

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                              Activ - try this link if you like to watch paint dry..let me know when you are done and I'll take it down

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19yu...ew?usp=sharing
                              A lot like my build thread then, I should enjoy it.
                              As would many others no doubt.
                              Cheers its gratefully appreciated.

Comment

• Just back home (crikey its hot) to receive a couple of parcels. Im not sure whether this was luck or it'll turn out to be shite but a Chinese "UK Seller" popped into the eBay feed offering a 120A brushless RC ESC for £14, thats about 75% cheaper than the 150A I was looking at. The motor I ordered was 130A rated. I ordered it and the delivery changed from 3-4 days to a month - ah well .... but it turned up today 2 days later Royal Mail. The Seller was based in Lichfield (down the road) & it was the only RC product they were shifting - just hope its not just the sticker thats 120A!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X