Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have far more patience then me mate.

Comment

• Just need to clean up the insides and underside next.

Comment

• Here's what was used;

Comment

• Lovely finish you've got there - looks like the hard work paid off!

Did you consider getting an electric buffer? I think I'll be looking out for one soon.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

• But Rob, you've missed a red bit at the top.

Comment

• Yeh not bad for an old man's hand job - buffing, creaming, polishing repetitively over his bonnet for an hour, quite a feat - had the neighbour out wondering & genuinely impressed by all the groaning and effort.

Yes I've got one. Bought one a few years back off of Amazon... little used tbh... Silverline 264569 - 1200W 180mm (7") DIY Sander Polisher 230V thing but thought I had something to prove.

It's been a seriously good learning curve and my confidence is a smidge over "not bad". Thanks to everyone who offered advice and input.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                But Rob, you've missed a red bit at the top.
                This was a dilemna Si!
                Last edited by Activ8; 22 June 2020, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• Looks very good, it aint satin anymore though....

Why did you leave the red bit, you going for the whores drawers look as well? Get some red leds and refit the grille, go full on fast and furious!

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                    Looks very good, it aint satin anymore though....

Why did you leave the red bit, you going for the whores drawers look as well? Get some red leds and refit the grille, go full on fast and furious!
                    After I rubbed it down with wet 2000 it was sort of where I wanted it to be but "smeared" & uneven. Thought the G3 would buff out the smears but it ended up producing a good sheen even by hand. Might try some finer graded paper and less elbow grease.

The bonnet grill will cover the red.

Any tips on restoring / painting / cleaning the plastics?

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                      Looks very good, it aint satin anymore though....

Would it need a satin clearcoat? Do you get such a thing?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• It's just all part of the learning curve & the power of G3 polishing! Mrs reckons run some 4000 grit over it (she makes jewellery as a hobby) to dull the sheen. All positive though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fife t4 View Post
                          Would it need a satin clearcoat? Do you get such a thing?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s
                          You do, and matt. Don't polish it though!

Activ, I like the gloss. you could flat it with fine paper, would be tricky to get uniform.

Comment

• I just seem to be generating tons of questions in my head concerning paintwork .... Here's but a few ...

How many coats of paint and lacquer should you apply to panels? Does the finish change because of the additional layers? Should different parts of the van have different layer ratios? How many nozzle sizes should I but with a gravity fed gun? What gun spares are useful? Paint suppliers? Paint types for DIY? Shelf life? Compressor rating needed? Lots to plan me thinks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                              I just seem to be generating tons of questions in my head concerning paintwork .... Here's but a few ...

How many coats of paint and lacquer should you apply to panels? Does the finish change because of the additional layers? Should different parts of the van have different layer ratios? How many nozzle sizes should I but with a gravity fed gun? What gun spares are useful? Paint suppliers? Paint types for DIY? Shelf life? Compressor rating needed? Lots to plan me thinks.
                              How many coats of paint and lacquer should you apply to panels? Enough

Does the finish change because of the additional layers? Yes, but not so much because of the number/thickness of layers, more due to the variety of layers

Should different parts of the van have different layer ratios? Maybe, but how are you as a diy painter going to control that effectively

How many nozzle sizes should I but with a gravity fed gun? Just the one that works for you and the mediums you intend to spray, my small gun has a 1.0, my big gun has a 1.3 which is too big for my style (I need to change style not nozzle). The 1.0 is great but doesn't flow enough for big spray jobs, you shouldn't be able to spray thick filler primers with a 1.0, but I do and it's good.

What gun spares are useful? A lid that fits, no other spares required, just clean it properly.

Paint suppliers? Not Jawel unless you like to gamble on colours - branded paint is better but expensive and expensive paint doesn't mean good paint job.

Paint types for DIY? Rustoleum

Shelf life? ????

Compressor rating needed? 10-13 cfm, tank size irrelevent, though people will tell you, you must have xxxx litres.

Overthinking stuff again Activ? - start with the basics. What do you want to paint? with what type of paint?

Comment

• You seen this Rob? Electurbo.

They tried a chinesium one, which lost them about 50bhp, haha.

But then this proper one costing $2500 gained them about 23bhp!

Only running 5psi max, quickly dropping down to 30psi.

Looks like they're running in before the air filter? Which is a bit odd. Surely you'd get better performance straight into the manifold?

https://www.facebook.com/cleetusmcfa...4062712551029/

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                                X