Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whilst looking into brushless motors I found an article about modern fan design which often house their own micro ESC unit. It makes them incredibly reliable and maintenance free. A text and a call later I'd confirmed a delivery of 12vdc fans courtesy of an old pal in Bedford.

Little did I realise - but true to his word he'd deposited two large crates of mixed fans and put them down the side of the house - ..... he'd left them two days ago! In the pouring raining solid plastic storage crates.

I grabbed a selection and started to empty them out of their sodden individual goldfish bags.

Comment

• You making a hover van with those?

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
        You making a hover van with those?
        I could with what's been dropped off! I only asked for half a dozen 12vdc "big fuckers". At least the weather after Sunday is looking real good. They might get to dry out and some more jobs sorted. 29°C forecast for Wednesday! Might need all the fans working.....

Comment

• What are you going to do with them?

Comment

• I want to.look at the electronics (MOSFETS?) on the brushless fans as those RC ESC'S for 150A motors are expensive and I don't need an RC system (although it could make T4aspberry Pi system easier). Just on and off or two speed is needed as some of these fans are. My mate must of sent me 300 pieces all 12vdc if I can "borrow" the electronics / program coding , it'll save a few quid plus there might be some other uses..... who knows!
            Last edited by Activ8; 20 June 2020, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Shitty weather , unforecasted and scuppering plans for today.

Pulled the bonnet out early this morning again for degreasing and a clear coat. It went on shit tbh - same crap "can" delivery volume system. UPOL reckon there's 4m2 coverage or about 3 coats for the bonnets size but it spits out without a flow despite my keeness to stick to the application instructions at 25cm. Left it to cure for 90 minutes - it looks better in the pic - before sanding it back with 1500 wet. Rain stops play.

Comment

• Would something like this prevent spitting? I've watched 1 guy on YouTube using it to spray his t5. Looks a better spray pattern

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Cheers Neil. I don't know as I'm a beginner with painting panels. Worth a look and try perhaps or simply cut out the half-assed alternatives and buy a decent gun, nozzles etc?

Comment

• Worth a 5r. If you've got a decent compressor?? then I wouldn't hesitate in buying a proper spray gun. Again watching folk on YouTube it seems a much smoother application

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• I'm all ears and trying to hover up as much about paint work as I can. Theres no way i'm paying someone to spray that doka.

Comment

• I reckon if I was looking for a gloss and shine bonnet I'd be there now with the G3 and polisher but I'm not. I want a flat satin finish. Back out between heavy showers I work up to a 2000 grit wet and attempt the dulled shine look to match the weather.
                        I wasn't sure whether to wet sand in one direction or circles?

A recent Practical Classics article reckons sand in a single direction whilst the author was doing his Moggy Minor bonnet. I would of thought a heavy hammering movement was the only way of improving the orange peel?

Might just try the G3 and orbital polisher on it. It's all about the direction of the micro scratches I assume?

Comment

• Out again this morning with the bonnet, panel wipe, clean microfiber cloth & a 500ml tin of paints4u clear lacquer. Midge, fly and insect distractions deployed I fired on another clear coat. These tins just chuck it out with a guide 10-15cm spacing between the surface and the nozzle. Much better distribution and layer. It's an hours touch dry and 24hr fully cured unlike the Upol, so set the timer running before returning. I might leave it the full 24 before polishing back and another can. Unlike the Upol there's no coverage guidance but based on the volume I'll assume one decent bonnet sized coat per 500ml tin.

Now how shall I dry these fans out?

Comment

• If you are up to 2000 grit then I wouldn't have thought the direction would make much difference

Comment

• Back on it this afternoon. The sun had baked the black bonnet so I decided to 2000 grit wet sand it back and then try polishing it by hand with G3 - if only to see what finish could be achieved with some elbow grease and a break for a brew.
                              Started at the nearside and calculated my polishing speed was 240 buffing revolutions per minute. Armed with my water applicator I managed a consistent 30 second on and off buffing with a break at 30 minutes for a 5 minute brew for one hour and achieved this....
                              Broke the bonnet into four sections and went for it using two cotton T-Shirt arms.
                              Last edited by Activ8; 22 June 2020, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• That don't look too bad at all Rob.

Comment

Working...
                                X