Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    Amongst painting the downstairs hall way I've been researching some compressor maps .... I've got a lot of turbos and it dawned on me whilst trying to sleep last night that a bigger compressor wheel will need less revs for the pressure output. What size wheel fits the pressure requirement at a lower rpm?

This MHI one will run 1 bar at 105k
    It'll need more torque to spin up though...

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

It'll need more torque to spin up though...
      Yep, but now in theory at least it could be mounted directly to the 12vdc motors armature spindle at 12vdc with no gearing. The motor fitted to the backplate. Need to adapt the spindle at 3.175mm to 5.08mm diameter and 14.5mm long to the height of the chosen compressor wheel (GT15 was 25mm) without it shearing off!

So, just converted this MHI map which is in m3/sec so 0.15 = 23.7lb/min or 237bhp with the correct fuelling. So I could even wind this back - a lot. Food for thought. Cannot remember the MHI compressor size .... Might be 68mm.
      Last edited by Activ8; 16 June 2020, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Just had a reply back from a Chinese compressor wheel manufacturer. They can produce any standard compressor wheel with a bore to my specification. So I need to get back on the maps and find some suitable candidate where I have the housings.

What do you reckon.... grub screw fixing & loctite? Then balance!

Comment

• I was kind of taking the waz, if it was £10 worth a punt but for that money i would want better castings etc to give a little confidence in construction....

I have built and modified loads of rc stuff but never brushless I do however know that rather than having a 2 wire stater and armature arraignment they have a 3 wire situation going on.....
          The motors have bags of torque though!!!

I do like the idea of electric turbos (twin plenum on the scim) as there is very little room around the exhausts for extra pipework, but I have a fair amount of room around the air filter and plenum. But being from the earlier 2.9I with airmass meters rather than lambda sensors would you put filter side of air mass or plenum side of air mass????
          I do know I would probably have to change the ecu for a mapable one cos any alteration in fuelling over what has already been done will confuse the shit out if it and force it into panic mode and limp....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• There's enough people that have bought them though. I wonder what sort of people do buy them at £340 a pop?

Comment

• Pass, Corsa driving yoofs with a 1.1

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Yeah they are 3 phase motors, which is part of the reason you need the special ESCs.

Awesome that you've found a few options!

To make balancing more simple, if you've got people who can machine you custom wheels and shafts on the motor then I'd get a reverse thread on both of them, so it tightens as it spins. No "heavy" (relative) side with a grub screw.

I have a feeling you'll be needing all the help you can get with balancing at those speeds!

And yeah, if you can reduce the revs but keep the pressure then that's better I think. As greeny says, bucket loads of torque available on these motors.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

• Found this if anyones interested in how it works ....
                  https://howtomechatronics.com/how-it...-and-esc-work/

Comment

• The balanced billet compressor wheel arrived to potentially upgrade the 1.9TD T15 turbo / e-turbo.

Comment

• Three days of torrential rain forecast. So after my delicious sun soaked lunch I fired on two more cans (2 coats) of Upol Satin Black on the bonnet after panel wiping it down. 3rd can in, it still looked patchy but the 4th seemed to do the trick after an hours curing. See picture. Still warm but overcast I quickly rubbed it over with 1000 wet and a very small splash of WUL, still rubbing away as the heavens opened I was quite enthused by the finish and my efforts to date. Great learning curve.

Comment

• Wul??? Wtf???

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                          Wul??? Wtf???
                          Yep as advised - not by you - Washing Up Liquid - it really helped glide the 1000 over the surface.
                          Well it did in the rain. It was only the dregs of an empty bottle and now part of the kit.
                          Last edited by Activ8; 17 June 2020, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• The weathers shit, but it's a great day. The sample clear headlight lenses from the US arrived this morning. I'm decorating again today (yawn) so left them wrapped until I can sit on my hands for longer and extend the pleasuring. ;-)

With the headlight build I was concerned with the weight. I've built my prototype using the oem glass lens which went through the MOT test no problem but the three lens mountings are brittle and weak. The OEM lens weighs in at 1100g, with the addition of the two LED lights it all adds up with the road vibration and potential deterioration of the fixings. I'm planning to upgrade these to a BMW version which use "different" plastics, similar design and hold good as new after 20 years!

The polycarb pair weigh in at 434g or 217g each so a great weight saving and it moves the project on a lot. Updates in due course.
                            Last edited by Activ8; 19 June 2020, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• I thought you'd binned your Turkist headlight project Rob?

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                                I thought you'd binned your Turkist headlight project Rob?
                                Nope I am just terrible for being distracted, I just tickle these things along until one day they appear to be finished and can be fitted.

Comment

Working...
                                X