Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Is it safe to add that much boost that low down, is that not the point of the torque map.

Or is the plan to run a huge turbo and let this fill the void?
    Ive been running without a torque map limiter (over 1500rpm) for over a year without a problem.

The Greddy unit is as big as you can buy on a smallish 12 blade turbine & budget. It's running a big curve but limited on the diesel engine and really doesn't "take off" until 2500 rpm. I'm hoping this will fill the earlier window.

Being electric I should be able to dial it in anywhere before 1 bar from the Greddy. I think an 02B gearbox (evidenced by 1.9TD users) should be safe at 1 bar. They spin up so quick that I reckon theyre at optimum efficiency well before 2k and should work well in this boost window. This won't be slowed down by the turbine either with an almost ON/OFF boost. Look at the map above - this little hairdryer does this every day on a 4 pot.

Need to look in th RC market space for a suitable motor. 15000kv at 12vdc or greater. Dysons motor won't cut it, the latest v8/v9 units are reliably at 125-140k rpm. Kevs just agreed to turn a new snail back plate so just need a motor with the right shaft size and length to take the compressor wheel / lock nut.

Need to pull out an EGR valve next, clean it up and look at possibly modifying it / reusing it on the AXG/AHY inlet or existing IC circuit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      Ive been running without a torque map limiter (over 1500rpm) for over a year without a problem.

The Greddy unit is as big as you can buy on a smallish 12 blade turbine & budget. It's running a big curve but limited on the diesel engine and really doesn't "take off" until 2500 rpm. I'm hoping this will fill the earlier window.

Being electric I should be able to dial it in anywhere before 1 bar from the Greddy. I think an 02B gearbox (evidenced by 1.9TD users) should be safe at 1 bar. They spin up so quick that I reckon theyre at optimum efficiency well before 2k and should work well in this boost window. This won't be slowed down by the turbine either with an almost ON/OFF boost. Look at the map above - this little hairdryer does this every day on a 4 pot.

Need to look in th RC market space for a suitable motor. 15000kv at 12vdc or greater. Dysons motor won't cut it, the latest v8/v9 units are reliably at 125-140k rpm. Kevs just agreed to turn a new snail back plate so just need a motor with the right shaft size and length to take the compressor wheel / lock nut.

Need to pull out an EGR valve next, clean it up and look at possibly modifying it / reusing it on the AXG/AHY inlet or existing IC circuit.
      Gearing to achieve the speed an option? mind you 140K is a fair lick, wouldn't like to balance that up.

Do you remember Sausages torque curve on his first dyno run - it was insane.

I think the gearbox is not at risk, at low rpm you are looking at bent rods,twisted cranks and cracked blocks - which is why my 1.9 had a crank girdle because a few big power 1.9TDs had smashed themselves to bits with low down boost.

Comment

Gearing to achieve the speed an option? mind you 140K is a fair lick, wouldn't like to balance that up.

Do you remember Sausages torque curve on his first dyno run - it was insane.

I think the gearbox is not at risk, at low rpm you are looking at bent rods,twisted cranks and cracked blocks - which is why my 1.9 had a crank girdle because a few big power 1.9TDs had smashed themselves to bits with low down boost.
        Thought about gearing and had a chat with Kev but he doesn't have the tooling needed. He's into RC stuff and reckoned the pinion could be bought but off the shelf gears are plastic and would melt at those speeds. It does complicate the design too. My focus has been on a 12vdc design, 24vdc I think is more likely.

Race drone units can run 20000kv but on a tiny scale, there are electric fan propulsion motors - fastest so far is 10000kv with up to 90mm blades but I've not really searched. Balancing shouldn't actually be a problem. The old skool stuff per spec need only be balanced to 85k / Garret 100k after these speeds balancing in the earlier rev range often improves as it gets quicker. Did think about driving the full turbo from the exhaust / EGR port and see what speeds / psi are reached?

Sausages was a K03? Do you have the dyno image? Might look at the later GT12's

The bottom end is on my mind. I might reduce the compression to 17:1 & open up the exhaust valves & ports. Would it be difficult to build a 5 pot girdle? Got a link to what was made & fitted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post

Thought about gearing and had a chat with Kev but he doesn't have the tooling needed. He's into RC stuff and reckoned the pinion could be bought but off the shelf gears are plastic and would melt at those speeds. It does complicate the design too. My focus has been on a 12vdc design, 24vdc I think is more likely.

Race drone units can run 20000kv but on a tiny scale, there are electric fan propulsion motors - fastest so far is 10000kv with up to 90mm blades but I've not really searched. Balancing shouldn't actually be a problem. The old skool stuff per spec need only be balanced to 85k / Garret 100k after these speeds balancing in the earlier rev range often improves as it gets quicker. Did think about driving the full turbo from the exhaust / EGR port and see what speeds / psi are reached?

Sausages was a K03? Do you have the dyno image? Might look at the later GT12's

The bottom end is on my mind. I might reduce the compression to 17:1 & open up the exhaust valves & ports. Would it be difficult to build a 5 pot girdle? Got a link to what was made & fitted.
          For balancing I was concerned with any gearing assembly you might incorporate, there would be significantly more mass to balance than a direct drive - it was a bad idea.

Sausage was running the stock 1.9TDI turbo.

​

Mad torque curve!

Five pot girdle would be the same concept...

​

Drop the compression ? You are working on a diesel remember, you know what happens when you drop the compression just a smidge?

​

Comment

• Broken pic links Reg.....

I found some metal RC race diff gears 64T/21T so I've got them on order as Ive found an RC Motor 490W 4.5T 7620KV Max Current 108A.
            With the gearing , 180k rpm is achievable. I think I'm going to reuse the turbine shaft and journal bearings, may be the oil housing if needed!

Comment

• Sure about those figures for the motor? 108A?

Comment

Sure about those figures for the motor? 108A?
                Max current 108A
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184212871857

Comment

• Left the turbo components soaking in WUL for a week with the a daily used toothbrush scrub and they've cleaned up nicely with little effort. Time to inspect the parts....

When I stripped the turbo I checked all the movement and play. It was very good. The journal bearing looked newish. There's an "OK" written on the compressor wheel so its been rebuilt at some point but on careful inspection one of the vanes has had a clang (can you see it in the pic) and the crisp tips are worn. I'll see if there's a billet option. I might have something on the shelf to upgrade the fast little fucker. However at.19g it's got the grey matter ticking having looked at the RC EDF motors with twin or more compressor blades to produce thrust for flight, quite a lot in some cases. Need to translate the physics but I was wondering about using the EDF motor to force air into the compressor snail with no compressor wheel just a sealed backplate? No need to balance the lot as the EDF'S as new come balanced. Put the larger EDF inline so it sucks a quantifiable amount of air through the EDF motor then into the snail for additional compression? Could support the Greddy inline too....

Last edited by Activ8; 13 June 2020, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• Today's rain has yet to show , so I nipped down the shed for some me time....

I can hear the forums peer groups muffled mumblings, "this post is like watching paint dry."
                    Followed Regs' advice,
                    Primered then 600 dry

Primered again but used "Paints4U.com" grey primer instead of Upol and the coverage was significantly better, the flow volume was great so cut it back with 800 wet, changing the water every 6 or so short sessions, keeping an eye on the 3M 800's paper surface. The Stärcke Softflex brand I bought on eBay I think is better, clogging less. It may sound odd but it's very satisfying. I'm leaving it for today , tomorrow looks dry plus I fancy a beer.
                    Last edited by Activ8; 13 June 2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• A great positive to all the bonnet activities is that the raspberry canes are doing great - looks like a bumper crop this year with all the water I've been chucking from the wet sanding spoils.

Comment

• Pulled out the T15 oil housing, stripped it and took a look at the turbine and shaft. Pretty fubarred. Can anyone guess what's happened? The damage is evenly across each turbine blade?

Does anyone want me to post a component picture of the disassembled 1.9TD T15 turbo?

Comment

• Retrieved from the loft my Vintage Kyosho Lazer ZX 1/10 RC 4WD Off Road Racer, it must be 20+ years old, cost a small fortune and last came out 10 years ago, when the lad drove it into the pond rockery.
                          Rebuilt with alloy parts he lost interest. Time to reuse it - if only for test purposes.
                          Fitted with a Trinity Products Modified Motor (no specs yet as its still in the car) & a SCI PC600 4-12V 600/150A Speed Controller.
                          Thought it might be a good starting point for building a geared electric turbo charger!

Last edited by Activ8; 14 June 2020, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Billet compressor wheel for the T15 "electrobo" / "lekkybo" / "e-turbo" etc... , no extended tips just keeping it factory spec but lighter. Plus some more backplates.

Need to knock up a sketch for Fruitbat next , he's up for building a geared "box" mounting for the motor on the backplate. As an RC nut & machinist it'll be mint...... well subject to the design I'spect!

Suggestions / ideas welcomed from the broader community. I've added a picture of the internals to assist the creative juices!
                            Last edited by Activ8; 15 June 2020, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• Run it off a belt from the crankshaft.......old tec alert. I'll get me coat. Joking aside i'm following this with interest as I thought electric turbos had been tried before but things more on.Keep the posts coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                                Run it off a belt from the crankshaft.......old tec alert. I'll get me coat. Joking aside i'm following this with interest as I thought electric turbos had been tried before but things more on.Keep the posts coming.
                                Cheers Si the ye olde skool ideas are timeless fyi the new transits use an electric turdo (apparently it prevents them rusting too!).... tiiiime will tell!

Comment

Working...
                                X