Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few hours of elbow grease, 120, 240 grit wet and dry reveals a "go faster primer" ...

Last edited by Activ8; 1 June 2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

• I had some german filler , didn't go off, expired 2013. So the hardner is gone. Seams to be some more expensive stuff sit on the shelf forever

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

• This shit is terrifying me...! I was gonna try and do it myself... might just stick a bra on it now!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Bra's are for tits. Don't do it, that's why Activ is having to spray a bonnet because the moisture caused by his bra has eaten his bonnet.
          Last edited by S49; 2 June 2020, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• It's just a long learning curve Stan.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
              Bra's are for tits. Don't do it, that's why Activ is having to spray a bonnet because the moisture caused by this bra has eaten his bonnet.
              I wonder if that’s why those acrylic bonnet lips have a high price..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262985112593

Comment

• Originally posted by mike_skinner View Post

I wonder if that’s why those acrylic bonnet lips have a high price..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262985112593
                Seems like a good idea to me! Ooft.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                  Bra's are for tits. Don't do it, that's why Activ is having to spray a bonnet because the moisture caused by this bra has eaten his bonnet.
                  In this instance the tit was me.
                  I did no prep before fitting the bra, no maintenance at all - zip in fact and never checked it for 10 years. I still like the "look" & the CMC bra was a great fit. Regular maintenance and all would be well...ish.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Least your sticking with it mate it will be satisfying in the end I’m sure. I’m hoping to get some colour on my golf wheels today . They had a dusting of etch primer yesterday n then normal primer later on so flat back and the some colour fingers crossed

Comment

• With the weather changing tomorrow (I've left the bonnet out each evening) I thought I'd better crack on blindly. The Upol Easy Sand filler wasn't available to collect from the Factors this morning so I applied some Bilt Hamber S80 to any edges scuffed by my vigour yesterday, panel wiped the bonnet thoroughly, jigged around the garden for 2 minutes and carefully laid down six misty coats at right angles to the previous over the the bonnet during a two hour window. My outdoor work table made it easy to get around with the bonnet flat at waste height. It's about 23°C today so was dry within 30 minutes. Putting out an old white T-Shirt nearby provided a welcome distraction from the local insect population whilst working in the outdoor paint booth! I noticed yesterday the insects were only landing on the white primered parts of the bonnet yesterday and rarely wandered on to the red. One 500ml Upol grey primer can produced good cover and picked up the areas that needed more effort when I can add some filler. Sanding the panel back only really left four tiny spots that need some attention and work. Right or wrong that's where I'm at today.

Q? To what level of panel smoothness should I be applying the colour layer to - 400?

Last edited by Activ8; 3 June 2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• For anyone interested I found a lot of answers about U-Pols products on their website (not surprisingly) but unlike most it was actually very clear for a newbie like me.
                        Their 2 page data sheets should help most with a simple process guide on how to use the products, coverage, pre-application and paper grades to use during the process. Just what a DIY'ER needs!

https://www.u-pol.com/uk/en-uk/produ...r-can-aerosols

Comment

• Nice work mate.

Sent from my I3113 using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                            With the weather changing tomorrow (I've left the bonnet out each evening) I thought I'd better crack on blindly. The Upol Easy Sand filler wasn't available to collect from the Factors this morning so I applied some Bilt Hamber S80 to any edges scuffed by my vigour yesterday, panel wiped the bonnet thoroughly, jigged around the garden for 2 minutes and carefully laid down six misty coats at right angles to the previous over the the bonnet during a two hour window. My outdoor work table made it easy to get around with the bonnet flat at waste height. It's about 23°C today so was dry within 30 minutes. Putting out an old white T-Shirt nearby provided a welcome distraction from the local insect population whilst working in the outdoor paint booth! I noticed yesterday the insects were only landing on the white primered parts of the bonnet yesterday and rarely wandered on to the red. One 500ml Upol grey primer can produced good cover and picked up the areas that needed more effort when I can add some filler. Sanding the panel back only really left four tiny spots that need some attention and work. Right or wrong that's where I'm at today.

Q? To what level of panel smoothness should I be applying the colour layer to - 400?

Shouldn't need filler on the feathered paint edge - just a good layer of high build, Whats BH S80?

Guide coat and flat back to a glassy 800 grit finish - 400 first.
                            Last edited by Activ8; 3 June 2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• BH Hydrate80.
                              There's a stone chip / dent on the leading edge of the bonnet that's bounced into the centre.

Last edited by Activ8; 3 June 2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                                BH Hydrate80.
                                I did wonder if it was that, but couldn't work out why you'd need it? Just bare metal, get back to shiny fresh steel and refinish - then you can guarantee there is no underlying rust waiting to come back.

Looks good so far, what's the plans for top coat and how will you apply it?

Comment

Working...
                                X