Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    "Rat Look" winner? - Unveiled my untouched 10 year bonnet bra''d entrant for "heap of the week"!

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s
    Is it metallic!?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Nope - Paprika Red .
      In four minds currently - whether to buy a new Prasco short nose bonnet @ £69, a 2nd hand one from Shardlow T4s about £50 or stick a long nose front end on which I have in the garage (albeit it's peppermint green), or cheaper still swap it with the Tornado red one on the Irish van.

Comment

• How long have I been saying bras are for tits?

At least they protect the bonnet from stone chips and save the bonnet.....

Just finish the job off, scotch the rest of the paint off, piss on it and embrace the rat look.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
          How long have I been saying bras are for tits?

Just finish the job off, scotch the rest of the paint off, piss on it and embrace the rat look.
          Bras are deffo for tits! Ill never understand why you need to hide yer tits... unless you not got any .... or like me ... thats got too many!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

How long have I been saying bras are for tits?

lol

Comment

• After a few errands, garden chores, lunch, mowing the lawn I was thanked for my help, given the rest of the afternoon to do my own things and sent on my way with a kiss - FFS!

Comment

• Decided to pull the Tornado red bonnet off of my Irish LWB and have a go at swapping them over after a little tidy up. Weathers looking good this week and I've got some kit and paint to do a half reasonable job. Out of curiosity I fitted the longnose bonnet on the short nose van and whilst the hinges were identical the wing shaping of the longnose rounds off the front quite considerably.

I managed to get the bonnets swapped over on my tod , holding the centre line down the length of my arm/shoulder and getting the top bolt in before the swapping arms.

It's better than the rat look bonnet but heavily stone chipped. It's been stood for 8 years and needed a wash off yesterday but cleaned up rather well. The vent was full of pine tree so needed hosing out and with a used toothbrush & sponge cloth, I cleaned up the last 8 years tree debris, mould and growth before running over it lightly with a scotch pad. Quite like the matt red.

Last edited by Activ8; 25 May 2020, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• These arrived today. Carefully bagged "made in Thailand" - yeh right. Next to find is some garden , pond or washing machine hose, O rings and a few clips to suit.

Comment

• Riddled with stone chips , some deep I took some advice.... text to Kev (Fruitbat) who advised filler and don't run the risk of the UPol high build primer sinking.... I suppose this is where experience plays it's part - the depths that spray primers / high build will cover or not, the products characteristics, then running that risk of not quite being thorough enough.... Anyway a mate dropped by & offered from a social distance to drink my beer, eat my food and offer wisdom concerning the Irish bonnet whilst I did the work. His words were "better too much" and "learn from the effort of flatting it all back" (smirk). Note to self - locate my orbital sander.

Comment

Riddled with stone chips , some deep I took some advice.... text to Kev (Fruitbat) who advised filler and don't run the risk of the UPol high build primer sinking.... I suppose this is where experience plays it's part - the depths that spray primers / high build will cover or not, the products characteristics, then running that risk of not quite being thorough enough.... Anyway a mate dropped by & offered from a social distance to drink my beer, eat my food and offer wisdom concerning the Irish bonnet whilst I did the work. His words were "better too much" and "learn from the effort of flatting it all back" (smirk). Note to self - locate my orbital sander.

Shit that’s gona b work to get the flat !! Good good to see it finished tho keep the pics coming

Comment

• Bet he was laughing his cock off with that advice.

More useful advice would have been to put the lid back on the panel prep as soon as you use it. It evaporates at an incredible rate.

I'd have flatted back the original paint to remove the chips rather than add filler.

Comment

Bet he was laughing his cock off with that advice.

More useful advice would have been to put the lid back on the panel prep as soon as you use it. It evaporates at an incredible rate.

I'd have flatted back the original paint to remove the chips rather than add filler.
                          I doubt Kev would be laughing, the advice would of been as good as the info provided I suspect. His advice was inline with my mates Reg who inspected the bonnet (he works for Aston Martin). My gut instinct was to cut it right back too.

Anyway my bonnet problems have developed. This will make you laugh your cock off - the UPol filler hasnt hardened! Left it for twice the advised timings, then overnight but I can still dig my nails in - although there are areas which have... FFS!

Comment

I doubt Kev would be laughing, the advice would of been as good as the info provided I suspect. His advice was inline with my mates Reg who inspected the bonnet (he works for Aston Martin). My gut instinct was to cut it right back too.

Anyway my bonnet problems have developed. This will make you laugh your cock off - the UPol filler hasnt hardened! Left it for twice the advised timings, then overnight but I can still dig my nails in - although there are areas which have... FFS!

What's he do for Aston? - not bodywork I hope.

UPOL goes off with slightest whiff of hardener normally, guess it wasn't mixed well?

You put on far too much as well

I'd get some 120 grit on DA and bare metal that bonnet surface and feather to the edges, you wont get sinking filler or rust particles buried that come back and blister the paint or spider under the paint.

If you go back to bare metal, you are less likely to get pits and wallows in the final surface that only become obvious as top coat goes on, you also are less likely to get a reaction at the boundary edges of the different prepped materials.

Comment

• I screwed up my filler first round too - underestimated the hardener. Loads on the sill now to correct the distortion - am getting sick of sanding filler in this heat! I made a flat sanding board with a belt sander belt glued to a piece of 18mm ply (80 grit) - used this to roughly flatten back, reapply filler in a really thin layer then hand flatten with 240 then 400 wet.

Comment

What's he do for Aston? - not bodywork I hope.

UPOL goes off with slightest whiff of hardener normally, guess it wasn't mixed well?

You put on far too much as well

I'd get some 120 grit on DA and bare metal that bonnet surface and feather to the edges, you wont get sinking filler or rust particles buried that come back and blister the paint or spider under the paint.

If you go back to bare metal, you are less likely to get pits and wallows in the final surface that only become obvious as top coat goes on, you also are less likely to get a reaction at the boundary edges of the different prepped materials.
                                It wasn't UPOL , (thought it was but something the motor factors sold me (something German)). Checked the ratios, applied in the shade per the instructions, just testing another batch but it's still not hardening. Factors advised to take it back.

It's all part of the learning curve I guess!

Anyway, I've been on it for 3.5 hours until midday. Scraped it off, stuck it in the sun then got the 240 on it. So its back to just being shite but now with chewing gum on it!

Thanks for the advice. I'll reassess shortly and begin again. I could just order / buy another bonnet but I found it quite therapeutic whilst listening to an audio book (The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins) so I'll stick at it and "learn" from it.

UPol ordered from the factors plus they're chucking in some freebies.

Last edited by Activ8; 1 June 2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X