Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand painted springs which Id citric acid bathed, washed and treated with Bilt Hamber Dynax s80 (?) and a pair of 313mm caliper carriers/ bolts. I bought a bunch of kids glue brushes from.Amazon which worked a treat on the dense epoxy mastic paint.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• And the boy mixed enough to paint the Severn Bridge.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        which worked a treat on the dense epoxy mastic paint.
        It's obviously not as good as hammerite, but it's not bad stuff is it. - not that you know yet but it seems reassuringly good in application.

Comment

• The Hammerite Kurust has been down graded to coating the garden tools!

Any advice on spraying the EM121?
          With this first application, I trialled with not adding any of the supplied thinners as the guide book stated it can used 1:1 to fill surfaces up to 500um. I fancy trying it on my new homemade side bars while the metals still fairly clean.

5-20% supplied thinners is recommended.

Comment

• It's thick, you need a big nozzle 1.2+ or up the pressure a bit, pretty sure I used normally thinners when the original tin ran out.

Sprays lovely, levels beautiful - but don't expect to put a top coat on it.

If you want a top coat or a really effective matt finish that looks like black iron, with the gun nearly clear of paint, add gunwash thinners, 10:1 - so a lot of thinners and just dust over the last coat. I found this out by accident on my mk1 golf bandeds and it looked amazing.

If you google 'mk1 golf witches tit regcheeseman' on image search you'll find some good images including this one

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheelsinblack006.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	298874

Shows before and after dusting with thinners
            Last edited by regcheeseman; 21 May 2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Cheers Reg. Im learning a lot.

I was thinking about using my old German electric spray gun as it's dealt with similar paints in the past or I may feel the need for a hvlp gun specific for the EM121 as I can see this medium being used a lot.

Did you know Rustbusters will colour match a 5l "kit" for £100 ish?

Comment

Cheers Reg. Im learning a lot.

I was thinking about using my old German electric spray gun as it's dealt with similar paints in the past or I may feel the need for a hvlp gun specific for the EM121 as I can see this medium being used a lot.

Did you know Rustbusters will colour match a 5l "kit" for £100 ish?

Wagner!

and no I didn't know that.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Wagner!

and no I didn't know that.

It is a Wagner!
                  Got the 0.5mm & 1.0mm nozzles.
                  I'll give it a go!

Comment

• The rAstra was painted with a Wagner. I thought it was a pretty good job at the time, hindsight may change that opinion, seem to recall good gloss, few sags very little orange peel.

The rustbuster is normally an undercoat or at least not really used on visible components so it doesn't really matter about the finish, it is a forgiving coating, brush application gives good results and is of course far more economical.

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	EM121 Experiments with Cheese.png Views:	0 Size:	319.5 KB ID:	299008
                      https://www.northdevonvwclub.co.uk/f...hp?f=10&t=3757
                      What a cracking read and build! Enjoyed that....

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                      It's thick, you need a big nozzle 1.2+ or up the pressure a bit, pretty sure I used normally thinners when the original tin ran out.

Sprays lovely, levels beautiful - but don't expect to put a top coat on it.

If you want a top coat or a really effective matt finish that looks like black iron, with the gun nearly clear of paint, add gunwash thinners, 10:1 - so a lot of thinners and just dust over the last coat. I found this out by accident on my mk1 golf bandeds and it looked amazing.

If you google 'mk1 golf witches tit regcheeseman' on image search you'll find some good images including this one

Shows before and after dusting with thinners

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	EM121 Experiments with Cheese.png Views:	0 Size:	319.5 KB ID:	299008
                        https://www.northdevonvwclub.co.uk/f...hp?f=10&t=3757
                        What a cracking read and build! Enjoyed that....

Haha cheers for that Rob. Mistake though, clicked on the link and suddenly it's an hour later!!!

Great to see the development of that Mk1 golf. Sounds like a lot of flatting out reg!! Haha.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

• "Rat Look" winner? - Unveiled my untouched 10 year bonnet bra''d entrant for "heap of the week"!

Comment

• Scabbers the bonnet!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Burn ya bra's folks. That bonnet looks scrap i'm afraid. Used to think they looked cool but at what cost. Wouldn't want one anywhere near our ole tubs.

Comment

• I had a half one on mine before I repainted n the difference in paint when I took it off was unreal. Never ever again .

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                                X