Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had an opportunity over the weekend to rob some parts off of a working fridge freezer.... hmmmm thought it might be worth a look!

Comment

• Two new compressor wheels delivered this morning from a Mitsubushi Evo 7. Forgot to weigh them! Doh! Looking for turbines next 9, 11 & 12 blade.
      73g each
      Last edited by Activ8; 1 November 2019, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• More items for the shelf arrived today.
        The Mellet TD05 turbine and a Taiwanese TD06 upgrade.

Comment

• Just for reference whilst it's easy to hand on the shelf here's the GT2560 compressor wheel against a K26 7/7 blade compressor wheel.

Comment

• I'm sure I'm not the only one - but what does it mean? what's the relevance to anything tangible?

Why do we all need to buy one right now?

Ref the last picture - is size everything?

Comment

• What the duck 🦆 are you building ??? A Tesla turbo 800bhp van ?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                I'm sure I'm not the only one - but what does it mean? what's the relevance to anything tangible?

Why do we all need to buy one right now?

Ref the last picture - is size everything?
                What does 'what' mean?
                They're turbo components. Which I'm slowly pulling together to build and hybrid some turbos.

£5 for 60mm GT compressor wheel that alongside some other parts and a little modding will max out that Garrett shaft size and housing which is often used by the big car brands. It's only of interest if you're interested.

It breaks down the barriers and often the misconceived perceptions about turbos and turbo chargers.

Yes. Size is everything. Size means lower pressures but a higher flowing air mass without the temp rises created by boost pressures. You need the air mass to add the fuel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                  What does 'what' mean?
                  They're turbo components. Which I'm slowly pulling together to build and hybrid some turbos.

£5 for 60mm GT compressor wheel that alongside some other parts and a little modding will max out that Garrett shaft size and housing which is often used by the big car brands. It's only of interest if you're interested.

It breaks down the barriers and often the misconceived perceptions about turbos and turbo chargers.

Yes. Size is everything. Size means lower pressures but a higher flowing air mass without the temp rises created by boost pressures. You need the air mass to add the fuel.
                  What means, how are they related to each other, how are they intended to be used and whats the purpose.

Obviously you cannot just put a massive wheel into a small housing, how do you make them work and with a hybrid, how do you know what works?

I for one am interested which is why there are questions....

Take the picture of the GT and the K parts - are they the same technology, they certainly look the same, but can a small modern turbo with better technology outperform an old school big turbo?

Comment

• Old or new they're simply pumps.
                    Both actually do the same job , pumping air into the engine and the manufacturers simply reinvent the wheel...

Old skool looses and wastes the boost by redirecting it back into the exhaust system but still efficient - some actually better than modern units and comparable to more modern designs but have greater flexibility built in.

New genres don't loose the boost they manipulate the hot housing A/R to control the airmass flow, so they can afford to use smaller components for the same pumping efficiency and required airmass. That efficiency is simply more fine tuned & targeted within the banded power requirements set by the vehicle manufacturer. Smaller components means cheaper materials and better financial accountancy of the pump. They're so accurately "tuned". These latest £1500 turbos are no better than kit that's 20 years old. Take a few to pieces and you see the same materials & engineering quality.

Old skool units with billet machined and computer flow designed wheels are a cut above as it's you whos in control, the flow, boost and control is broadly more variable than new stuff and often far more robust. You've seen how much unburnt fuel there is in an EGR, that dont just disappear because you blocked the EGR or stopped it from being recyled. What do you think happens as it passes over those tiny little vanes inside. Our old lumps are too industrial with big fuelling, they need higher fuel delivery pressures.

My rule is a weight one. It's nothing I've read but just experienced. Keep the weight of the compressor within 20% of the oem cast wheel and you can oversize the compressor turbine massively with no lag differences just huge pumping gains. Higher boost pressures just create heat but bigger wheels don't or you get more airmass pumped for the same heat generated at the same pressure.
                    Last edited by Activ8; 6 November 2019, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• Watching all this with interest.

Comment

• Dry today, so I could have a test fit of the LED headlight and ProjektZwo surround on the short nose Irish van on the drive.
                        I'm chuffed tbh, the twin headlamps look cool with twin side, twin dip and twin main lights.
                        The Projektzwo surround could be covered with a coloured show lens or protective lens but its not necessary.
                        Last edited by Activ8; 19 February 2020, 01:05 AM.

Comment

• Yea quite like those!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Of course they would look better on a Cheshire based white van called ness

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• They'd look better on a christmas tree.

Comment

• There quite snazzy.

It's not about following the trend .... It's about making it!

Comment

Working...
                                X