Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    Pulled this out today. Its the Eberspacher branded sink / water heater that was fitted in the AA vans, mine's been stored in the garage for many years.

Never used it but fancied having a solar powered hand wash for camping / cooking. Thought I'd give it a cleanup and test.

Pic of the internals. I'll take another with the wash bowl and casing once it's all cleaned up.

Here's the outer cover and folding wash bowl for the ex-AA water heater. It's scrubbed up nice but could do with a finer wet&dry paper around the bowl with some plastic restorer to seal it and return the gloss look.

Just had a look on eBay where both new and used models are still available!
    I took this info from the new unit for those that may be interested.

Dimensions - 300mm (w) x 520mm (h) x 230mm* (d)
    Voltage: 12v system: 10 Amps, so thats 120W. (my 5 solar panels are 100W plus twin 12VDC Lithium-Ion Lynx Battery)
    Water Capacity: 8.5 Litres
    Taps: Hot and Cold.
    Water Temperature: 49°C Max
    Time to raise water temperature from 15 to 49 degrees: 32 minutes

So thats 120W (my solar is 100W plus the charged Twin Lithium-Ion Lynx Batteries.
    I've bought one of those black water bags for additional solar heating of the water to feed the 8.5L tank that will simply lie on the van roof to absorb the heat from the van panel. FYI 38°C is ideal for handwashing , although cold or tepid water is just as good with modern soaps and 41°C is the recommended temp for showering. Alcohol gels are often used when camping but if you look at the research done its very good at cleaning the bacteria from hands but it also cleans the skins natural anti-bacterial functions. Gel cleaned hands cause greater growth of undesirable bacteria between washes.

Just as a sideline when you're heating water you should be aware of water pathogens.
    Temperature affects the survival of pathogens such as Legionella, temps as follows:

- At70 °C or more : Legionella dies almost instantly
    - At 60 °C : 90% die in 2 minutes
    - At 50 °C : 90% die in 80–124 minutes, depending on strain
    - At 48 to 50 °C : Can survive but do not multiply
    - At 32 to 42 °C : Is the ideal growth temp range

SO DON'T DRINK WARM WATER OR BOTTLED WATER EXPOSED TO THE SUN or OTHER HEAT SOURCES!
    BOIL IT FIRST OR USE A DRINKABLE WATER SOURCE.
    Last edited by Activ8; 4 June 2019, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• What's the plans for that then?
      Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
        What's the plans for that then?
        Honestly, I'm unsure Arf,..... suggestions?
        Handwash inside / outside the van hanging on the barn door perhaps / tent porch (we don't sleep in the van).

Comment

• I helped an old fella with his car a few weeks back and now once a week he calls in for a brew. He's ex-RR and a lovely old fella to chat to, long story short he and his Mrs are keen car booters , never to sell but something to do on Sundays etc with lunch at a different Garden Centre afterwards. He's started to bring me anything he finds as a thank you....
          Last week the metric Peacocks DTI with extension plus 8x 13mm spanners, this week reamers and a huge box of piller drill bits, pressure gauge, pipe grips & oil filter spanner.
          Won't take anything for them and just pats me on the shoulder and chuckles.
          Last edited by Activ8; 4 June 2019, 09:24 PM.

Comment

I helped an old fella with his car a few weeks back and now once a week he calls in for a brew. He's ex-RR and a lovely old fella to chat to, long story short he and his Mrs are keen car booters , never to sell but something to do on Sundays etc with lunch at a different Garden Centre afterwards. He's started to bring me anything he finds as a thank you....,https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7f04229912.jpg
            Last week the metric Peacocks DTI with extension plus 8x 13mm spanners, this week reamers and a huge box of piller drill bits, pressure gauge, pipe grips & oil filter spanner.
            Won't take anything for them and just pats me on the shoulder and chuckles.

Nice , the number 1 morse taper drills should come in handy if you have a pillar drill, also the dti for setting pump timing on a 2.4d and 2.5tdi .

Comment

,..... suggestions?
              Put it back in the skip?

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                Put it back in the skip?
                Cruel, so cruel ....

Comment

• You see i'm not the only one who tops up the tool stock from boot sales and the like.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                    You see i'm not the only one who tops up the tool stock from boot sales and the like.
                    Is it worth collecting English Si? I've only got metric unless it's supplied with a tool kit. I ask as "my new agent" has a load of English he collected for me too ....

Comment

Is it worth collecting English Si? I've only got metric unless it's supplied with a tool kit. I ask as "my new agent" has a load of English he collected for me too ....
                      Its always worth collecting tools. I still have my sparking tools. Will never use most of them but they are there for if I find a purpose for any if them....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                        Its always worth collecting tools. I still have my sparking tools. Will never use most of them but they are there for if I find a purpose for any if them....

I'm unlikely to use the English.

Comment

I'm unlikely to use the English.
                          You say that, the slightly different sizes means they will fit rounded nuts.

If you don't want then they can find a nice home in my tool box it they are becoming orphans

Comment

• Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                            You say that, the slightly different sizes means they will fit rounded nuts.

If you don't want then they can find a nice home in my tool box it they are becoming orphans

I suspect he'll be round next Tuesday for a brew and a catchup, I'll ask him then. It's an age thing - recycling & repairing!

Comment

I suspect he'll be round next Tuesday for a brew and a catchup, I'll ask him then. It's an age thing - recycling & repairing!
                              Yup

Comment

• Latest delivery. You need to upgrade from M16 to M18 for the 313mm carriers. So, M18x1.5x50 front brake carrier bolts.
                                VW wanted silly money for 2mm shorter so I bought these 8.8's instead for a fraction of the price.

Comment

Working...
                                X