Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight covers arrived through the letterbox this morning. Two shaped flat plates with several 3M clear velcro strips.
    First impressions are that they are simply for static display , would make a great cutting template for the "fly-eye film, could be useful -potentially- for vacuum forming a thinner disposable style lens cover , oh, and a complete waste of £19!

Comment

• Collected my shit blasted calipers and carriers tonight and Im a little disappointed. Mate only had a fine sand for aluminium and it really wasn't as effective as I'd hoped considering I'd already had a knotted wheel on them!

They're not good enough to paint so need to review my wire brushes and spend a little time on the clean up.

On the positive side the pistons are good 57mm diameter/55.5mm long (writing this as theres 3 lengths listed for this diameter) so there's £25 saved and the guide pins will clean up but some seal kits do include pins. The piston & seal housings/recesses are good with no damage and the threads are all good for the brake pipe and bleed nipples.

Last edited by Activ8; 23 May 2019, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Sliders need a polish , the carriers don’t look too bad , but the calipers don’t look like they’ve been blasted .

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
          Sliders need a polish , the carriers don’t look too bad , but the calipers don’t look like they’ve been blasted .
          Yep all blasted. I had a go with a wire brush on the caliper recesses when I got home but still more to do. The pins will clean up.

Comment

• Did he turn the blaster on? Fine sand would clean them up like new.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
              Did he turn the blaster on? Fine sand would clean them up like new.
              Yep. I was there. I must admit I asked whether he had a leak in the airline. I've got a make shift "box" at home I've used for turbo housings (once they ve been through the parts washer then dishwasher!) So might give that a go and order some more grit. Back on it next week.

Comment

• E36/5 Headlight Breakdown.
                Just an idea I'm playing with.

The clear glass lens simply clips to the black plastic body with an unbonded rubber water seal. It reveals a twin lamp lens plate held in with 3 torx screws and a twin lamp styled reflector.

The two directional lenses can be unclipped (2 + a smidge of bonding) from the cover to leave the twin lamp shroud.

The twin lamp lens can be removed from the outer housing. Not actioned or pictured as I need to have a coffee it's 10.30!

This lot came apart in 5 minutes with no damage to the components. It's got three lens adjusters, one electrical and despite their age are still solid and could be removed and repurposed. So I suppose this is the starting point for trying a mod? Any thoughts?
                Last edited by Activ8; 24 May 2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• Had a quick gander at one of the Volvo heads, it needed rehousing in a crate so I can keep the parts warehouse organised, tidy and accessible to human form.

Got some headwork to do.
                  But more importantly , hoover the garage.
                  Last edited by Activ8; 24 May 2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• Found this,the e36 lights do fit,look a little bit shorter in height though.If you can find a way of rectifying that they’ll look sweet.Click image for larger version

Name:	BD7E05D6-7D92-459F-8E1F-ABCCE4C34DF8.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	267332

Comment

• Originally posted by Eagles02 View Post
                      Found this,the e36 lights do fit,look a little bit shorter in height though.If you can find a way of rectifying that they’ll look sweet.[ATTACH=CONFIG]12503[/ATTACH]
                      And on Kazs van, reposting from her build thread as the fit is a lot clearer.
                      Originally posted by kaz View Post
                      I love the look too. Think it depends how fussy you are just got some pics for you.

[ATTACH]2931[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2932[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2933[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                        Yep. I was there. I must admit I asked whether he had a leak in the airline. I've got a make shift "box" at home I've used for turbo housings (once they ve been through the parts washer then dishwasher!) So might give that a go and order some more grit. Back on it next week.
                        I was impressed by the citric acid tank I've used for bike bits recently, just leave the bits in for a few days depending on temperature, take out and scrub every now and then. Will remove all rust for literally no effort.
                        You must clean and paint very quick after removal from tank as it'll flash rust really quick - like minutes.

I've used vats of vinegar in the past but citric works even better.

I have got a blaster but never use it because of the mess involved - must build a cabinet/box one day.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                          I was impressed by the citric acid tank I've used for bike bits recently, just leave the bits in for a few days depending on temperature, take out and scrub every now and then. Will remove all rust for literally no effort.
                          You must clean and paint very quick after removal from tank as it'll flash rust really quick - like minutes.

I've used vats of vinegar in the past but citric works even better.

I have got a blaster but never use it because of the mess involved - must build a cabinet/box one day.
                          On this set there must of been three layers of old poorly prepped paint so I'm pleased so far. It won't take too long next week to make them good to paint then rebuild.

Comment

• Pulled this out today. Its the Eberspacher branded sink / water heater that was fitted in the AA vans, mine's been stored in the garage for many years.

Never used it but fancied having a solar powered hand wash for camping / cooking. Thought I'd give it a cleanup and test.

Pic of the internals. I'll take another with the wash bowl and casing once it's all cleaned up.

Comment

• Herme's delivery on a Sunday? ... new VR6 brake splash guards.

And a spacer plate for the 6 speed gearbox.

Last edited by Activ8; 2 June 2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Good start to the day I thought as I slid my finger between the slightly parted opening..... nice, about time.... a squeeze and release as my left hand lightly felt the smooth surfaces....

Nipples of steel ...... fantastic

A smile followed the gentle caress of the opening ....

Stainless steel bleed nipples, dust covers with a couple of M10x1.00 banjos for my front and rear Touareg braided brakelines.

....Whaaaaat... its a van forum!
                                Last edited by Activ8; 4 June 2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X