Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Remove the small black spring clip (at 6 o'clock) on the cam roller/follower plate - it just pulls out.

Under that is a small pin - lift that out with needle pliers

The hardened pin can then lift upwards - assuming main shaft is in correct position - use a small screwdriver to get in the hole exposed by removal of small pin to wiggle the large pin upwards.

Once the large pin is fully lifted, it will release the dynamic timing piston and the cam follower plate can be lifted out if required - I wouldn't go this far unless the pump was dirty or gummed and you needed access to the vanes of the lift pump or to replace the main shaft bushes.
    Cheers. I thought as much from the schematic but wasn't sure about the clip.

Comment

• Here's the specs on the compressor wheel I've purchased to modify the K24WC , note the specs it'll run to 5 bar ( 70 psi ).... [emoji41]

Comment

• Finally the pump is in pieces so time for a clean up of the housing body and covers prior to a rebuild after some inpection & measurements are taken.

Comment

• Just a couple of observations to note for resetting the pump are that both keys are in line on the pump drive shaft. The pulley key ties in with the timing mark on it which in turn should be lined up with pumphead fuel outlet marked 'A' or Cylinder 1. (each outlet is stamped A to E for the 5 cylinders to tie up with the firing order).

Comment

• Started cleaning up the K24wc turbine and compressor housings this evening. Very pleased as the turbine housing and turbo seems to be a very welcomed hybrid. There's a larger K26 turbine housing and the compressor housing is marked up AMG. So I now need to get the calipers out and measure all the specs.

Comment

• Aldi do a digital vernier, that could come in handy.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                Aldi do a digital vernier, that could come in handy.
                Yep, got a couple Si thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                  Aldi do a digital vernier, that could come in handy.

Not very accurate though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    Just a couple of observations to note for resetting the pump are that both keys are in line on the pump drive shaft. The pulley key ties in with the timing mark on it which in turn should be lined up with pumphead fuel outlet marked 'A' or Cylinder 1. (each outlet is stamped A to E for the 5 cylinders to tie up with the firing order).
                    You fit the shaft with the keyway vertical, the pump drive pin on the camplate also goes at 12 oclock - it will fit 180 degrees out.

The cam rollers can go in a multitude of ways - only 1 layout is right.....

Then you have to get the pulley on the shaft in the right position. That normally takes me 4-5 goes to get right.....

Calipers? What do you need them for - as they are from aldi they'll make a passable adjustable spanner so may come in handy.
                    Last edited by regcheeseman; 16 April 2019, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                      Not very accurate though.
                      0.02mm up to 100mm, 0.03mm to 150mm good enough for the turbo but not the pump.

Comment

0.02mm up to 100mm, 0.03mm to 150mm good enough for the turbo but not the pump.
                        That's the measuring range - not the accuracy.

That said, I've a set of Lidl ones in my drawer at work, they are fine for aerospace work despite the big label on the box where they cannot spell caliper.
                        Last edited by regcheeseman; 16 April 2019, 10:27 PM.

Comment

That's the measuring range - not the accuracy.

That said, I've a set of Lidl ones in my drawer at work, they are fine for aerospace work despite the big label on the box where they cannot spell caliper.
                          I cannot comment on the Aldi versions as I dont have a set. Friends buy them and compare them to their best gear though and keep them on the bench.

Comment

• I have a Wurth one at work, not digital. Rarely used in my trade think its mostly measuring exhaust diameters. Its about 4 years since I've used it to measure tappet shim's so they don't need to be mega accurate for what I do.

Comment

You fit the shaft with the keyway vertical, the pump drive pin on the camplate also goes at 12 oclock - it will fit 180 degrees out.

The cam rollers can go in a multitude of ways - only 1 layout is right.....

Then you have to get the pulley on the shaft in the right position. That normally takes me 4-5 goes to get right.....

Calipers? What do you need them for - as they are from aldi they'll make a passable adjustable spanner so may come in handy.
                              Cheers Reg.
                              I'll try a rebuild tomorrow.

Comment

I cannot comment on the Aldi versions as I dont have a set. Friends buy them and compare them to their best gear though and keep them on the bench.
                                How do they compare them? Do they say "these calipers are cheap shite'

Comment

Working...
                                X